Running lines to Cockpit and other ideas to make sailing easier

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.
Sheppie62
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Running lines to Cockpit and other ideas to make sailing easier

Post by Sheppie62 »

I am very new to sailing, my 1998 26x has very few sailing modifications/ additions. The main sail gets fed up the slot manually, when taken down sail is all over the place. No topping lift installed, must clip to back stay first. Genoa has a roller furling. No autopilot (broken). What are normal things done to make sailing easier/ safer. Do I have to go up to mast while sailing?
rsvpasap
Engineer

Re: Running lines to Cockpit and other ideas to make sailing easier

Post by rsvpasap »

I have a 2002 26x. I my opinion, in order of importance, the most useful things to make sailing easier and more enjoyable, especially single-handed, over long distances or in challenging weather, are:

1. Autopilot.
2. Boomkicker.
3. Roller furler for the headsail.
4. All lines run aft to the cockpit, especially the mainsail halyard and a downhaul.
5. Single line reefing.
6. Lazy jacks.
7. Sail track car with cam cleats (BWY), also previously referred to as Bill's EZ Cleats back when Bill sold them.
8. Boom preventers with lines run to cockpit. Chances are this is something you will need to set up in your own way for your own boat other than buying an off-the-shelf kit. Simple and reliable is best.
9. If you don't already have one, also recommend putting a halyard block at the top face of the mast (essentially a spinnaker block) so you can run an additional line from the mast to the bow pulpit. While it doesn't make sailing easier, it potentially makes it safer. Having your mast fall unexpectedly into the cockpit seems to be the most common catastrophic failure.

This page may be helpful: https://shop.bwyachts.com/category-s/453.htm

WinSome
Engineer

Post by WinSome »

Welcome to the adventures. You’re going to have a blast.
Initially you’re going up to the mast until you add a couple items. That’s not so bad after a bit of practice.
- add sail slugs to ease up and down haul of the main. This will make your life better! This would be my first priority!
-Use dry lubricate occasionally to keep the sail track clean.
- with a bit of practice you’ll be able to kinda stack the sail on the boom and then Get some straps around the sail. Use bungee balls or make a centipede sail wrap.
- install reefing ties (if they aren’t already on the main) and learn how to use them (to reef) on a calm day! This will built your confidence.
-practice your manoeuvres and docking. Keep control of your boat. Seasonally I go through these and find them very useful
https://www.lifeofsailing.com/post/esse ... -maneuvers

Get out there and practice/enjoy. And chat up another Mac owner you’ll meet. We’re friendly. Take care
NiceAft
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

Different sailors, different opinions.

I for one see the advantage of an auto pilot, but to make it the number one mod; I just don’t agree.

Having all lines leading to the cockpit is far more important. This thread may give you ideas.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=28683&hilit=Aft+Rol ... r+Fairlead
Ray ~~_/)~~
Sheppie62
First Officer

Installing sail slugs

Post by Sheppie62 »

I have a main sail that has no grommets to attach sail slugs. Where/ who does this? I’m in Southern California. Or do I just buy a new sail?
Sheppie62
First Officer

Lots of great information! Thanks!

Post by Sheppie62 »

I have been always worried about mast falling towards cockpit, extra line idea is great (help put furler pin in also), as is the furler pin with big end (be nice to have a small cable attached so it doesn’t get dropped). Handle idea is interesting as well. I have hydraulic steering so an autopilot is good option for sure @ $1049. Besides mast falling, lowering the mainsail and reefing seem most important at this point to get me out of trouble. Thanks guys makes me think. How do you guys feel about tethered life jackets?
svscott
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26D

Re: Lots of great information! Thanks!

Post by svscott »

Sheppie62 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:12 am I have been always worried about mast falling towards cockpit, extra line idea is great (help put furler pin in also), as is the furler pin with big end (be nice to have a small cable attached so it doesn’t get dropped). Handle idea is interesting as well. I have hydraulic steering so an autopilot is good option for sure @ $1049. Besides mast falling, lowering the mainsail and reefing seem most important at this point to get me out of trouble. Thanks guys makes me think. How do you guys feel about tethered life jackets?
Any reputable sailmaker can install slugs for you. If your sail is in good shape and/or you have a tight budget, it may make sense to modify what you've got. If money isn't an issue or your super concerned about performance, new sails are the way to go.

Before spring, I'm planning on taking my 26D mainsail to American Cruising Sails to have slugs put on and some reinforcement patches sewn in. Their shop is just a few minutes from home and they've done good work for me in a couple occasions.

A year or two ago I bought the exact same life jacket that you posted and although I haven't been in a situation where I felt it necessary to tether myself to the boat, I keep a 6' lanyard stowed for if/when it's needed. My plan would be to run a jackline and harness in either at night or when the conditions are very bad. The inflatable life jacket is very comfortable, so I find that I actually wear it easy more than a standard jacket. I now make it a habit to wear my life jacket when sailing solo.
One thing to keep in mind though (and I may be wrong here), but I believe that if boarded by USCG and checked for proper number of life preservers, that an inflatable jacket doesn't count unless it's actively being worn, whereas standard jackets only need to be on hand.
1987 26D - Three Hour Tour; 1998 26X - to be named
Be Free
Admiral

Post by Be Free »

Inflatable PFD's are Type V.

"Type V PFD, or SPECIAL USE DEVICE is intended for specific activities and may be carried instead of another PFD only if used according to the approval conditions on its label. A Type V provides performance of either a Type I, II or III PFD (as marked on its label). If the label says the PFD is “approved only when worn” the PFD must be worn, except for persons in enclosed spaces and used in accordance with the approval label, to meet carriage requirements."
Bill
2001 26X Simple Interest
Honda BF40D
"If I were in a hurry I would not have bought a sailboat." Me
Sheppie62
First Officer

Anyone have pictures of how the lines run to cockpit are installed?

Post by Sheppie62 »

And how does it all work? Would I be able to reef the main and unreef it without going to mast. What do you guys use for sail ties?
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

If you have slugs, you have to go to the mast to remove the slug stop, thus allowing you to lower the main far enough to have an effective reef (snug to the boom). Without the slug stop, every time you lowered the main, slugs could exit the mast.

My sail came with strips of fabric to use as ties. Bungie cords work also.
Ray ~~_/)~~
rsvpasap
Engineer

Post by rsvpasap »

They start stretching after a couple years, but they're awesome while they last. No knots required and can be easily released with one hand.

NiceAft
Admiral

Post by NiceAft »

rsvpasap wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:31 pm They start stretching after a couple years, but they're awesome while they last. No knots required and can be easily released with one hand.

They do work well, but you must be careful in your applying them; one slip of the hand and you can lose a tooth. :?
Ray ~~_/)~~
Be Free
Admiral

Post by Be Free »

I use nylon straps with adjustable fasteners. Once they are adjusted to length they just snap on/off.

I use a lot of those elastic ties with the balls. They will also raise quite a welt on the back of your hand if the snap around just right. Reminds me of those "klackers" they had when I was a kid. Those things were almost as dangerous as lawn darts. How did any of us live to adulthood? :)

When they lose their elasticity I replace the elastic from a spool I bought several years ago. Very easy and economical. It also allows you to make them exactly the length you want them to be.
Bill
2001 26X Simple Interest
Honda BF40D
Sheppie62
First Officer

Post by Sheppie62 »

NiceAft wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:13 am If you have slugs, you have to go to the mast to remove the slug stop, thus allowing you to lower the main far enough to have an effective reef (snug to the boom). Without the slug stop, every time you lowered the main, slugs could exit the mast.

My sail came with strips of fabric to use as ties. Bungie cords work also.
Is there a way to make the plastic slugs go all the way down to boom without falling out?
Be Free
Admiral

Post by Be Free »

Not if you are using a slug stop. Some slug gates will allow the sail to come down without having to adjust them.

Use a topping lift to hold up the boom and rig a down haul line along with a proper slug gate, a clean track (very important) and maybe a bit of lube. I remember a test from years ago where various lubes were tested. IIRC Sailkote came out on top (but you needed to keep applying it). Surprisingly, bees wax and regular car wax did well if you wanted to go a long time between applications.
Bill
2001 26X Simple Interest
Honda BF40D