26X Aysmmetrical Spinnaker rigging help

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

bbenkert26x
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

26X Aysmmetrical Spinnaker rigging help

Post by bbenkert26x » Tue May 14, 2013 12:36 pm

Hello everyone!
Still getting used to my 26X, what a fun boat to play with! Anyways, it came with a Asymmetrical Spinnaker in a chute! I think I have figured out how to rig it, but some things I am not sure of? Why would the spinnaker halyard be located below the jib halyard putting the spinnaker behind it? There are two sheet lines on this spinnaker, are these run in front of the jib halyard or behind? and lastly, where would I attach one corner of the spinnaker, or do I? I have watched the you tube videos, they helped some, but didn't answer my questions, so if someone don't mind, let me know how they rig their spinnaker from A-Z would be great!

Thanks again!

Capt. B

:macx:

Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Re: 26X Aysmmetrical Spinnaker rigging help

Post by Catigale » Tue May 14, 2013 2:13 pm

I ran my spin up with the jib halyard, mounted above the furler

The tack attached to the forestay plate, lower hole either with shackle or a small line to raise it up a bit.

The sheets go outside the shrouds and I led them aft to the genny blocks on the cockpit rails

bbenkert26x
Deckhand

Post by bbenkert26x » Tue May 14, 2013 3:27 pm

That would make more sense, but seeing how this one is rigged for the furler to be on top, and the spin halyard? below it, that is where the confusion comes it at. I wonder if I can use it like that without relocating it on top of the furler? It looks like the furler is part of the head stay running rigging as well, or I would switch them out..... I agree on running the sheets

THE CUSCUS
First Officer
Sailboat: Venture 25

Post by THE CUSCUS » Sun May 19, 2013 8:19 pm

Here's a video of how my spinnaker lines are run. Spinnaker sheets should be on the outside of EVERYTHING, unless you want some excitement. The spin halyard should be higher than your forestay (which will make it higher than the jib halyard). You can see how an autopilot can't account for shifting winds.
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?feature=em ... load_owner

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Sun May 19, 2013 8:55 pm

I added a second halyard 18" above the jib halyard for the spinnaker, and use a tack line through a block on the stem fitting back to the cockpit for the spinnaker tack. This gives me adjustability on both ends.

The jib isn't connected to the hound in this pic, as it was moved for storage at the time, but it's normally kept connected.

Note: The spinnaker halyard should be routed inside the forestay hound where it goes down the mast, not outside like I did in the pic. The outboard leg, of course, goes outside the hound. I had just finished installing it, and hadn't raised the mast. I found out right away that I screwed up the routing once the mast was up. You don't want the halyard scraping on the hound, or on anything else for that matter. That braided line ain't cheap, you know. :D
Last edited by Tomfoolery on Mon May 20, 2013 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

bbenkert26x
Deckhand

Post by bbenkert26x » Sun May 19, 2013 9:16 pm

Yup, that is what I suspected! I rigged the spinnaker/chute today! Don't know about the previous owners, but the halyard is below the jib halyard and the connected the one end of the spinnaker on the fore deck behind the anchor locker in the middle............. so when I have time, I am going to lower the mast and do just what you have done, where do you attach the bottom of the spinnaker to?

Thanks,

Capt. B.

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Mon May 20, 2013 8:13 am

bbenkert26x wrote:. . . connected the one end of the spinnaker on the fore deck behind the anchor locker in the middle............. so when I have time, I am going to lower the mast and do just what you have done, where do you attach the bottom of the spinnaker to?
That eye strap is for the mast raising system (MRS) for raising the mast, aka the 'gin pole'. Use the extra hole in the stem fitting, next to where the forestay terminates. I moved my forestay to the rearmost of the two holes (same radius, as it's both further back, and lower), and use the forward hole for the tack pendant or block (if running the tack line to the cockpit).

You can also use parrel beads or an ATN Tacker to hold the spinnaker to the furled headsail, in addition to the tack line or pendant, but I don't.

Best case is that everything is in front of the furled headsail, which means the halyard is above the forestay (most folks mount the second hound 18" above the forestay/jib halyard hound), the tack fitting is anchored in front of the forestay (bottom of furler, since I believe you have one), and the sheets are outside of everything, including and especially the shrouds. You need long sheets if tacking the spinnaker around the forestay, by the way, as the lazy sheet has to take the long way around.

You don't have to have an adjustable tack, and a short pendant will do, but it's easy enough to run one using plain eye-type fairleads clamped to the lifeline stantions and a small cleat at the cockpit. I have a cleat clamped to the lifeline rail. My halyard terminates at the mast, on its own cleat, as with a snuffer (or chute) it's only used to raise the whole mess to working position and left there, while the snuffer's line is used to fly and douse the spinnaker, which you can do while standing in the vee berth sticking out of the hatch, if you prefer.

Use the genoa blocks on the cockpit rail, as someone already stated, or get a pair of ratchet blocks to connect to the stern rail, which will be even further back. I'd start with the genoa blocks, which are the spring-loaded stand-up type, and see what works for you before investing money.

Like a lot of things in sailing, it's often best to try a few different methods of doing something before spending cash to fix on a configuration. That's one of the reasons I keep a small collection of blocks and hardware - you never know what you'll need until you try it, and even if it's kludgy, you can prove (or disprove) a concept, then go for the similar but more integrated or elegant permanent solution.

Oh, and Blue Water Yachts (usually just BWY on this here forum) has the mast hound for cheap, including the through bolt for the mast, and the small one for the block. Use an inexpensive block with a swivel - you don't need a ball bearing block for this (hoist the sail in its snuffer and cleat it off at the mast), but the spinnaker does have to sweep more than 180 degrees potentially when you tack, so the block needs to be able to orient itself to minimize wear on the halyard.

And use lightweight sheets, not big ol' 3/8 yacht braid. It's a light air sail, and weighing it down with heavy line is both a waste of money, and won't let the sail fly as high as it wants to.

The hound is BWY p/n 3453-1V0. http://www.bwyachts.com, and go to 'repair parts' in the Parts and Accessories window, then 'find my part', then fill in the p/n in the search window. $20. Looks like the price went up. :( Still cheap for a hound, though. :)
Last edited by Tomfoolery on Mon May 20, 2013 10:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Mon May 20, 2013 8:24 am

You can also rig it inside the forestay and furled sail, but someone else should fill in the blanks there, as I don't do it that way, and don't know the ins and outs.

bbenkert26x
Deckhand

Post by bbenkert26x » Mon May 20, 2013 8:43 am

Interesting, that helps a ton, and explains a lot! I to have extra block and tackle off my old boat just for that reason, now it all makes sense! Thank you and happy sailing! 8)

Capt. B
:macx:

DrV
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by DrV » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:08 am

Hello everybody

I guess it is a good place to ask here...

Is there any solid reason to place the spinnaker halyard only 18" above the genoa halyard, or can I go all the way up the mast?
We want to make the spinnaker fly as high as possible, to be as big as possible, do we?
So why only 18" higher than the genny's halyard?

mastreb
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by mastreb » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:07 am

As a fractional rig, the portion of the MacGregor mast above the top hound is unstayed and could be subject to bending under serious load.

With the mainsail head, the mainsail's heeling force is distributed along the entire luff and mast slot and the portion above the hound is the smallest part of the sail. But with a spinnaker, then entire pulling force is split between only three points: The tack, the clew, and the masthead. By putting hound at the masthead, you're exerting a lot more pulling force than the unstayed portion of the mast was designed to take, especially in gusts.

I'd be very careful about it for this reason.

Matt, bender of masts