My New Toy

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Highlander
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

My New Toy

Post by Highlander » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:05 pm

Walker Bay 10 & Breeze sail/tube kit
https://www.google.ca/search?q=breeze+s ... B800%3B492

Yes I will be adding a bowsprit for the jib sail as I already have alum pipe in stock in my shop length yet to be determined :) :P :P
J 8)
PS Yes I,m already working on a deal for a brand new Merc 3.5HP 4 stroke knocked them down $350. with 5yr warranty :P

RussMT
Admiral

Re: My New Toy

Post by RussMT » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:15 pm

Haha. Bowsprit.

NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:36 pm

John,

A 3.5 HP will move that dinghy, but slowly. Any reason you're not getting a six?

I have a six HP Merc on my 9' Achilles inflatable (rated for 8HP), and it will get up on plane with two people, but not with more weight than that.

What HP is the Walker Bay rated for?

Ray

Tenacious
Chief Steward
Sailboat: Tattoo 26

Post by Tenacious » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:51 am

Highlander wrote:Walker Bay 10 & Breeze sail/tube kit
https://www.google.ca/search?q=breeze+s ... B800%3B492

Yes I will be adding a bowsprit for the jib sail as I already have alum pipe in stock in my shop length yet to be determined :) :P :P
J 8)
PS Yes I,m already working on a deal for a brand new Merc 3.5HP 4 stroke knocked them down $350. with 5yr warranty :P

Is there a guide online for creating the bowsprit or are you engineering it yourself?

it looks like a lot of fun.

Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:27 pm

Walker Bay 10 has a High Performance 75sq ft Sail Kit which comes with a 16.5 ft mast a set of shrouds & a bowsptrit 15sq ft jib & 60sq ft Main @ $1799. from Walker Bay + Shipping :o Sail Kit only !

I just P/U a Walker Bay 10 Breeze Sail/Tube Kit sail area 56sq ft = 15sq ft Jib 41sq ft Main 12ft mast retails up here for $2200. my price $1400. :) from a local dealer so no shipping involved :wink: , he ordered it in for a guy last yr but he never showed up to p/u so sat on his warehouse floor for a yr thus I got a deal :)

I will make a bowsprit coping it from the manual off the High Performance Sail Kit

Here,s the High Performance Sail Kit with the Jib on a Bowsprit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ik8i1L0gMZ4

J 8)

Tenacious
Chief Steward
Sailboat: Tattoo 26

Post by Tenacious » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:17 pm

Highlander wrote:Walker Bay 10 has a High Performance 75sq ft Sail Kit which comes with a 16.5 ft mast a set of shrouds & a bowsptrit 15sq ft jib & 60sq ft Main @ $1799. from Walker Bay + Shipping :o Sail Kit only !

I just P/U a Walker Bay 10 Breeze Sail/Tube Kit sail area 56sq ft = 15sq ft Jib 41sq ft Main 12ft mast retails up here for $2200. my price $1400. :) from a local dealer so no shipping involved :wink: , he ordered it in for a guy last yr but he never showed up to p/u so sat on his warehouse floor for a yr thus I got a deal :)

I will make a bowsprit coping it from the manual off the High Performance Sail Kit

Here,s the High Performance Sail Kit with the Jib on a Bowsprit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ik8i1L0gMZ4

J 8)
You got a great deal! I can't wait to see some pictures of your finished bowsprit.

If I would have seen the same deal pop up, I definitely would have jumped on it.

Robert

Highlander
Admiral

Post by Highlander » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:25 pm

NiceAft wrote:John,

A 3.5 HP will move that dinghy, but slowly. Any reason you're not getting a six?

I have a six HP Merc on my 9' Achilles inflatable (rated for 8HP), and it will get up on plane with two people, but not with more weight than that.

What HP is the Walker Bay rated for?

Ray
Hi Ray
Walker bay 10 is rated 3person 3hp but with the tube kit it up-grades to 4person 6hp
was offered a deal on a 3,5hp Merc 4stroke reg up here $1330. for $900. . But now I see Bass Pro got a sale starting on Fri feb 6th I can get a merc 6hp 4stroke short shaft reg. $1800. for $1189. super deal has F/N/R , internal & external fuel tank usage but is #20 heavier Mmm now u got me thinking :?

J 8)

Herschel
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Herschel » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:56 pm

Walker Bay 10 & Breeze sail/tube kit
My sister-in-law bought one a couple of years ago with the basic sail kit---no jib or tube kit. She became interested in sailing as a retirement activity and asked my opinion about the boat before buying it. We are seniors! :) It seemed like a good size to learn on, so I urged her to get it. I had never sailed one before, but had seen them in West Marine stores and occasionally around dinghy docks without the sail kit. I have been trying to teach her to sail when we get together about twice a year, but she seems to have found the enterprise somewhat intimidating. To my knowledge, she has never taken the boat out by herself with the sail kit, just used it as a row boat. I have taken her out twice in the boat and have found it a little more tender than I expected. I have a similar sized dinghy, the O'Day Sprite, with 65 sq ft of sail with both main and jib, and the Sprite is not as tender. Perhaps, I am just not experienced in sailing the Walker Bay, but I was wondering how you have found the Walker 10 as a sailer, especially with 75+ sq. ft. of sail up there. I know you are probably looking for "action' more than a leisurely "retirement" sail, but I would like to hear your experience with the little boat, given your experience as a sailor. It would help me in talking to my sister-in-law regarding the sailing characteristics of the boat and what to expect. :? I am curious about whether the tube kit is actually an important feature to avoid broaching, shipping water over the side, or capsize. On one occasion, I briefly took on water when the boat healed over in a gust, much to my chagrin. :| Thanks, in advance.

NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:09 pm

John,

The reason I bought the 6HP Merc 4 stroke was the dealer. He said the 6 weighed about 40lbs, which made it manageable. The 8 would have been too heavy to lift on and off the dinghy safely. I can manage the weight of the 6 quite well, but that's me. If you can lift the 40 lbs (18.14 KG) off of a dock and into the dinghy while keeping yourself steady in the dinghy, then go for it. The 6 HP 4 stroke Merc sips fuel.

Ray

edit: I just looked up the weight of the Merc 4 stroke, and it is 57 lbs (25.85 KG).
I don't know if that Merc is different than my ten year old Merc, or if my dealer was just wrong about the weight. I handle it fine. Now I need to look up my manual to see what it says.

Tony E
First Officer

Post by Tony E » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:48 am

Hello,

I have to weigh in:) I got a little dingy with a 4 stroke 2.5 horse on it and its perfect. I'd go for your original 3.5 horse as you are not trying to break any speed records here. All you are trying to do is have a second back up boat to help you our if needed and yes weight is a big issue as always and gas consumption in that little motor is also a factor. I can actually get my boat and dingy all ready by myself and then lift my dingy with the motor on it and put it in the water quite easily as sometimes I go on trips by myself. My vote is to go with the smaller motor as that saying "bigger is better" does not apply here what so ever:) :macx:

NiceAft
Admiral

Post by NiceAft » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:58 pm

John,
I could not find the manual in the house, so it must be in the boat and I'm not going to start climbing under the tarp in this cold weather :)

:) Basically, I agree with Tony, but I believe there are other factors involved.

In my inflatable, and I have to believe it is the same in a hard bottom dinghy, unless you're moving at a very low speed, the bow rides high, and the stern low. Under those conditions, the motor works harder than when it gets up on plane. You actually need to cut back on the throttle when you reach plane speed. The dinghy is more stable when up on plane, and just as important, it is not a beautiful boat day every time you need/choose to use the dinghy. When the rain is coming down, you want to be on that dinghy as little as possible :D There are times when more horsepower is desirable. More stability. More level ride. It's nice to have. That little extra horsepower can come in handy.

Ray

Highlander
Admiral

Post by Highlander » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:01 pm

Hi Ray , Tony
Well I have to agree with both of u,s LOL, in inner water ways like Lagoon City L. Simcoe On Canada with about 7 miles of inner channels I think the 3.5 HP would be great , no swells or tides or bad weather to worry about very protected waters , but when anchored in coves & a little ways from marinas or towns u do not want to take up anchor to get supplies & take the chance of losing ur sweet anchoring spot when u return , so this is where I think the 6HP wins , but also the 6HP is big enough to act as back up iron genny & get u back into harbour in an emg. should ur main motor quit on u as has happened to me the last 2 yrs , I could have continued along with my journey with the 6HP :)

So 3.5HP $900. 2014 39#, 6HP $1189. 2015 57# with added features as F/N/R & internal / external fuel tank hook-up
So I went with the 6HP Puppy :)
http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab1/ ... 4cfc20.jpg

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab1/ ... 72ea78.jpg

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab1/ ... 873927.jpg

bought a small external 3gal fuel tank also
http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab1/ ... 0c5c1b.jpg

bought new external fuel line & 2 seal-tite containers
http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab1/ ... 3297ce.jpg

J 8)

NiceAft
Admiral

Post by NiceAft » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:13 pm

John,
I gave up figuring out how to mount my six on my :macm: as a back up to my 50, the rudders get in the way. :( That's why I did not mention it to you. When you come up with the solution, please post.

Ray

Highlander
Admiral

Post by Highlander » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:37 pm

Ray
Weather permitting u can always use ur tender tied to the side of ur mac & bring her in with the tender like a little tug boat :)

J 8)

Tony E
First Officer

Post by Tony E » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:44 am

Hi John,

Nice motor and congrats for your purchase. I bet it still has that new motor smell doesn't it.....ha! See if I would have said the 6 then you would have went with the 3 so next time I will get you ....ha ha. No its a great motor and sounds like the best deal. :) :macx: