Sure sign of spring - Chicago bridge lifts begin today

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

dlandersson
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Sure sign of spring - Chicago bridge lifts begin today

Post by dlandersson » Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:18 am

Sure sign of spring - Chicago bridge lifts begin today :)

http://theexpiredmeter.com/2015/04/chic ... y-morning/

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Re: Sure sign of spring - Chicago bridge lifts begin today

Post by Tomfoolery » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:13 am

A boating sign-of-spring around here is the opening of the Irondequoit Bay Outlet Bridge, which is a short bobtail swing bridge across the bay outlet. They built it to replace a wooden bridge that had existed in one form or another since the early 1900's, but it was fixed and low and only small boats could get under it. When they built this bridge, it opened the bay to boating in a big way, as there is no height restriction in the bay other than the high Rt. 104 bridge, which has a 58 ft clearance at the high end.*

Local residents don't like that the bridge is only closed (open to vehicle traffic) from Nov. 1 to April 1 every year, but boaters are certainly happy. It was built around 2000, shortly before we moved here, so I never saw the old bridge.

But when they open it, there's a small crowd that forms every spring. Lots of sidewalk supervisors, and old guys in lawn chairs of course, but I guess it's an 'event' of sorts, made easy by the existence of a public park at the west end, where the boat launch ramps are. Takes the crew a few hours, as they have to jack it, remove some fixed bearing blocks, lower it onto its rollers, then they rotate it with a big electric drill through a multistage gear box. Then they jack it back up and put the bearings back in at the ends, and I think at the turntable.

http://www2.monroecounty.gov/dot-bridgeibob

There's a time-lapse video of it being closed on that site, too.

Not as interesting as the migration of boats in Chicago, which must be something to see (bucket list?), but it's all we've got. :wink:

*My Hunter had a 56 ft mast height, and it was scary even when I knew for fact that it could fit under. For all the world, it looked like it was going to hit. :D
Last edited by Tomfoolery on Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chinook
Admiral

Post by Chinook » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:41 am

If all goes according to plan, on or about September 2 of this year, we'll be passing beneath those Chicago River bridges on our way south down rivers, lakes and canals, bound for the Gulf coast with many other boats who will be doing the Great Loop. We'll not be able to enjoy the benefits of these spring/fall bridge openings, and so will have our mast lowered in order to pass beneath the bridges. Nearly all sailboats doing the Loop unstep their masts at Chicago and then either strap it down on their deck or have it shipped by semi truck to Mobile AL. However, we'll simply lower our mast and then somewhere a bit downstream of Joliet, after passing the last fixed bridge on the Illinois River, we'll raise the mast and smugly proceed along on our Loop, enjoying the benefits of wind whenever the opportunity presents. Yet another unspoken response to those big sailboaters who tend to dis the MacGregor. :D

dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson » Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:26 pm

One (of many) thing(s) I like about our Macs is that its fairly easy to raise and lower the mast. Can't do that on many boats. 8)

Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:39 am

Tomfoolery wrote:A boating sign-of-spring around here is the opening of the Irondequoit Bay Outlet Bridge, which is a short bobtail swing bridge across the bay outlet. They built it to replace a wooden bridge that had existed in one form or another since the early 1900's, but it was fixed and low and only small boats could get under it. When they built this bridge, it opened the bay to boating in a big way, as there is no height restriction in the bay other than the high Rt. 104 bridge, which has a 58 ft clearance at the high end.*

Local residents don't like that the bridge is only closed (open to vehicle traffic) from Nov. 1 to April 1 every year, but boaters are certainly happy. It was built around 2000, shortly before we moved here, so I never saw the old bridge.

But when they open it, there's a small crowd that forms every spring. Lots of sidewalk supervisors, and old guys in lawn chairs of course, but I guess it's an 'event' of sorts, made easy by the existence of a public park at the west end, where the boat launch ramps are. Takes the crew a few hours, as they have to jack it, remove some fixed bearing blocks, lower it onto its rollers, then they rotate it with a big electric drill through a multistage gear box. Then they jack it back up and put the bearings back in at the ends, and I think at the turntable.

http://www2.monroecounty.gov/dot-bridgeibob

There's a time-lapse video of it being closed on that site, too.

Not as interesting as the migration of boats in Chicago, which must be something to see (bucket list?), but it's all we've got. :wink:

*My Hunter had a 56 ft mast height, and it was scary even when I knew for fact that it could fit under. For all the world, it looked like it was going to hit. :D
This means the locals have to divert 6 minutes to Route 104 in that nasty upstate NY traffic.

Don't move here, it sucks. Really. Gotta go to work, leaving at 0854 for a 0900 meeting.

Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale » Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:32 am

Tom....how did they get that shot of the Irondequoit Bay bridge at Seabreeze? Helicopter? I don't think there are any buildings on the east side?

My sign of Spring last weekend was uncovering Catigale and scrubbing down to the shiny gelcoat with a bucket of dishwashing soap and one cup of bleach...like magic.

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:00 am

Catigale wrote:Tom....how did they get that shot of the Irondequoit Bay bridge at Seabreeze? Helicopter? I don't think there are any buildings on the east side?
I think you meant west side, and no, there aren't any buildings to speak of or tall structures on the west side. Had to be a plane or helo. Seabreeze (amusement park) is not that close, so it couldn't have been taken from a ride.

One of those houses on the shore on the far side is where the Webster firefighters were ambushed and killed (two of them, others injured) when a guy set fire to his own house and car and shot at them when they arrived, and eventually killed himself. Tough time around here.

Catigale
Site Admin

Post by Catigale » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:28 pm

Yep, got it flipped.