Mainsheet system upgrade?

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Ixneigh
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Mainsheet system upgrade?

Post by Ixneigh » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:08 pm

Now that I think I've fixed the clunky cam cleats on the mainsheet traveler car, I was thinking about upgrading the mainsheet system blocks and line, that's too large Anyway. Someone mentioned ratcheting blocks and I remember them from sailing Hobiecats.
When I look around I see many offerings of two speed mainsheet systems for sale in various places. That seems a bit overkill to me however I never used one. I was thinking a four part with a couple ratcheting blocks.
Any thoughts?
Ix

Phil M
Captain
Sailboat: Other

Re: Mainsheet system upgrade?

Post by Phil M » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:42 pm

Ixneigh wrote:Now that I think I've fixed the clunky cam cleats on the mainsheet traveler car, I
They were broken?

Ixneigh wrote:was thinking about upgrading the mainsheet system blocks and line, that's too large Anyway.
Then that would be a downgrade to a smaller unit?

I know you are on this board a lot. And you asked for thoughts ...

Phil

Ixneigh
Admiral

Post by Ixneigh » Fri May 01, 2015 6:55 am

I removed the camcleats from the traveler car and now have a different way to secure the control lines. I hated the system since it was a toe smasher. I cut the SS plate the cams were bolted to, and shaped it to match the upper plate that holds the bail that the tackle system hooks to. I reduced the size of the traveler car control lines and added an extra block to the control line system. I haven't tried this yet since I haven't had the boat out, but feel confident it will work fine.
Not having the factory camcleats unit allows for a cushion across the bridge deck.

The mainsheet line is a size too large.
The blocks themselves are fine.

I wanted ideas on perhaps upgrading to a system with a larger purchase msybe five part.
Ix

Phil M
Captain
Sailboat: Other

Post by Phil M » Fri May 01, 2015 1:02 pm

Ixneigh wrote:I removed the camcleats from the traveler car and now have a different way to secure the control lines. I hated the system since it was a toe smasher. I cut the SS plate the cams were bolted to, and shaped it to match the upper plate that holds the bail that the tackle system hooks to. I reduced the size of the traveler car control lines and added an extra block to the control line system. I haven't tried this yet since I haven't had the boat out, but feel confident it will work fine.
Ix
I too am among the many who have hit their toes on the cam cleats. A pic if you please. Perhaps once you know that the mod works to your satisfaction.

mastreb
Admiral

Post by mastreb » Fri May 01, 2015 1:22 pm

I've always disliked the traveler location, but the fix on the Tattoos is even worse IMHO.

I'd rig two standing spring blocks, one on each side just forward of the cabin-top winches, and two shackle blocks on the bottom of the boom. Then I'd rig the mainsheet system that my big boat uses. Much simpler and does the job perfectly well with just the mainsheet to control and no traveler at all. Hardens right up on the centerline, which is really all you need.

Here's a photo from another boat that shows the rigging pretty well. The mainsheet starts on the boom, goes to a spring block on one side of the cabin-top, back up to the boom around a shackle block, down to another spring block on the other side of the cabin, back up to the boom to a 2nd shackle block turns the mainsheet to go forward. Then you use a few other blocks to bring it back to the cabin where you would put it through a cleat.

The advantage is built into the various turning blocks--it's equal to a 4:1.

Ixneigh
Admiral

Post by Ixneigh » Sat May 02, 2015 5:04 pm

Took the boat out double reefed. New system works good. Easy to use but does require both hands. This fix required two little jam style cleats, two washers and some new line. Over due for new line anyway. Extra block made adjusting traveler easier. Cleats grab line with little prompting and hold tight.
This is a can't undo it style mod as it calls for cutting a hard to replace part.

Ix

Catigale
Site Admin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:25 pm

You aren't going to get any speed out of that setup until your toenail polish matches your hull.....

dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:10 pm

LOL :)
Catigale wrote:You aren't going to get any speed out of that setup until your toenail polish matches your hull.....

mastreb
Admiral

Post by mastreb » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:29 pm

Catigale wrote:You aren't going to get any speed out of that setup until your toenail polish matches your hull.....
Do NOT go blue...

Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:51 pm

mastreb wrote:
Do NOT go blue...
I don,t think it really maters once I put on my nylons u can,t tell what colour my toenail polish is :o :P

J :D :D :D

sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:46 pm

Is that a dinghy style traveller (not sure they call that setup a traveler on a a dinghy), seems a simple answer to taking some of the wind out of the main in blowy conditions, only minor issue I can see is it wouldnt let you put the main slightly to windward for light wind sailing.

But its simple and would be effective :D