What is an Entry-Level Cruising Boat?

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

cptron
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Hattiesburg MS. "Storm Walker" 2011 26m with ETech 60

Re: What is an Entry-Level Cruising Boat?

Post by cptron » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:40 pm

vizwhiz wrote:Y'know, every time I hear about some purist who doesn't like Macs, or that Mr. Snobby Swabby had some poor opinion about our boats, this is what always comes to mind. Never fails to make me chuckle.
http://youtu.be/bMErG-idop4
:D :D LOL, LOL, LOL, LOL, I have never heard that before. I love it!!!! :D :D

kadet
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Brisbane, Australia. 2008M "Wicked Wave" Yamaha T60

Post by kadet » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:51 pm

8)
vizwhiz wrote:Y'know, every time I hear about some purist who doesn't like Macs, or that Mr. Snobby Swabby had some poor opinion about our boats, this is what always comes to mind. Never fails to make me chuckle.
http://youtu.be/bMErG-idop4

Tomfoolery
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Tomfoolery » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:03 am

A long time boater friend of my FIL had a number of sailboats over the years. When he had a J-boat, they were the best. The best, Jerry! Everything else was junk.

When he had a C&C, they were the best! Everything else was junk.

His current boat is a 42 ft Catalina. Catalinas are the best! The best, Jerry! Everything else is junk.

The boat is too big now, especially for the waters around the Florida Keys, so he's going to sell it and the house it lives at in New England and just stay in the Keys.

Wanna guess what brand he's looking into now? Hint: It's a brand that he judged to be junk.

You guessed it - a Mac. Motor-sailor, no less, either an M or an X, because of the big cabin mainly, plus the shallow draft of course.

I don't listen to all the Dennis Conner wannabes who think their production blob of fiberglass and resin is 'better' than someone else's production blob of fiberglass and resin. I really liked my junky Hunter 340, and sold it for more than I payed for it after six or seven seasons with it. I get more use out of my Mac than any boat I've ever had, and have gone more places with it. And when I'm done with it, I'll sell it and get most of my money back.