Dallas Race Week

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

grady
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Dallas Race Week

Post by grady » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:11 pm

Here is the finish of race 3. It was a drag race no tacks straight to the mark and back. Made it hard aginst larger boats. I am just doing main and jib this year due to crew.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=k9Gn24b1ET4

Results are posted here. Still in 1st.

http://www.regattanetwork.com/event/102 ... om+results

We are shooting for a Macgregor to take Aux B Fleet and Main and jib 201 and up. Wings is an early D, I have a late S Laree.

Catigale
Site Admin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Re: Dallas Race Week

Post by Catigale » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:06 am

That was a big boy at the end there wasn't it?? 32 footer or bigger??

Wings has a very generous rating for a D boat IMHO. One of the reasons I never got too into racing. I don't think I could stay on the course with you with my motor running..watching your trim. That's way too personal.

grady
Captain

Post by grady » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:51 am

Catigale wrote:That was a big boy at the end there wasn't it?? 32 footer or bigger??

Wings has a very generous rating for a D boat IMHO. One of the reasons I never got too into racing. I don't think I could stay on the course with you with my motor running..watching your trim. That's way too personal.
Catalina 310 and he lied about his handicap. Lake has him at 180. He put down 201 to be in the 201 and up fleet. Had 3 boats do that. As you can see with another 20ft of mast above mine I do not even shadow him. If I would have let him go above me I would have stopped. The only thing that saved me is the jib trimmer never let go of the sheet for the entire 2.5 mile run.

Wings sails at about a 180 rating. He usually cleans up any fleet he is in. However after a lot of work on my boat the skipper this year has told me I am scaring him now. The first race we rounded the weather mark together ahead of the entire fleet. Without a spin he left me on down wind. He finished 2nt overall only beaten by a VX1 that night.

Catigale
Site Admin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:08 am

Getting 30 clicks extra on your rating would make me a great racer, too. Of course if 210 is a fair rating for a D and he can SAIL it at 180, he s pretty darn good. I think you ve mentioned you have a healthy respect for him on his skills, not just time.

I like to see actual and adjusted times in results but the game players don't.

A Cat 31 at the same rating as any MAC is ridiculous.

I crewed on a race in Long Beach on a CAt 31 rated at 177

grady
Captain

Post by grady » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:13 am

The race is an Australian pursuit. They have an overall winner also. Wings was fighting for first overall. It was a very light wind for the last race and he ended up 2nd. His overall scores were 2, 1, 5, 1, 14. I ended up 19th overall. There were 34 boats in the race. I did get first in my fleet. Went into the last race tied but in 2nd so it was whoever crosed the finish first won. At least that is what I thought. With the light wind day and a down wind start that Cat 30 killed me down wind in 5kts of wind. I tried to catch up on the up wind but could not make up the difference. Now here is the good news. We have 2 hours to complete the 5 mile race. No one in our fleet made it to the finish by time cutoff. Everyone in our fleet got a DNF and made the last race the throw out. That brought my 3 back in and his 4. Boom Beat him by 1.