New Mast for 26X

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Popscott
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

New Mast for 26X

Post by Popscott » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:02 pm

I currently have a rotating mast and would love to replace it with a new mast. Can somebody provide any leads where I can purchase a new mast for a 26X

Thank you,
Ryan Scott :macx:

Chinook
Admiral

Re: New Mast for 26X

Post by Chinook » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:36 pm

I'm curious about having a rotating mast on an X. The X rig includes a back stay, which I wouldn't think would allow installation of a rotating mast. Position of shrouds and spreaders precludes eliminating the backstay when sailing downwind, as I understand it. Blue Water Yachts can fix you up with a new mast, but not sure how far away you are from the Northwest. Shipping cost becomes an issue.

Popscott
Just Enlisted

Post by Popscott » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:07 pm

I'm the second owner of the boat, and I hired a master rigger up in Bayview, Idaho (lake Pen Orielle) for a consultation and he said my life would be much easier if I got a new mast. Currently for the rotating mast I have baby stays and two backstays (with adjustment). Blue Yacht quoted me 680.00 for the mast.

Ryan Scott :macx:

Chinook
Admiral

Post by Chinook » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:07 pm

Did that include shipping, or are you close enough to bring the boat to them?

RussMT
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by RussMT » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:35 pm

Easier....maybe. But rigging a new mast is costly. Not sure how much easier $1000 would buy you. On the other hand, there are probably Mac X owners here who would love to trade you masts.

Popscott
Just Enlisted

Post by Popscott » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:45 pm

The cost of shipping is around 200.00. Lot cheaper then driving to Seattle and taking a day off of work. The master rigger hinted the cost won't be that munch, my current mast has problems such as: poor halyard block placement for furler, needs new shrouds due weak points. On Friday I'll take pictures of all the current problems and post them on the forum. It's a lesson of why not to go from an original :macx: mast to a :macm: mast. It's a learning experience.

kadet
Admiral
Location: Brisbane, Australia. 2008M "Wicked Wave" Yamaha T60

Post by kadet » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:27 am

Why do you need a new mast? Is the extrusion damaged in some way? If it is just because you don't want a rotating mast remove the rotator cup at the bottom and have someone fabricate a fixed plate or get the rotating one welded along with the rotating spreader mount, no new mast should be needed unless it is damaged.

Also remember the :macm: mast is taller than the :macx: so if the sails were updated as well you will need to get them resized to fit the :macx: mast. 8)

RussMT
Admiral

Post by RussMT » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:34 am

kadet wrote:Why do you need a new mast? Is the extrusion damaged in some way? If it is just because you don't want a rotating mast remove the rotator cup at the bottom and have someone fabricate a fixed plate or get the rotating one welded along with the rotating spreader mount, no new mast should be needed unless it is damaged.

Also remember the :macm: mast is taller than the :macx: so if the sails were updated as well you will need to get them resized to fit the :macx: mast. 8)
Yea, this makes sense. Seems like it's harder to go the other way (make a fixed mast rotate). Lock it up and move the extras.

Popscott
Just Enlisted

Post by Popscott » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:21 am

Thank you Kadet, that does make sense. I'll look into that. :macx: