Outboard Engine Advice

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

NiceAft
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Re: Outboard Engine Advice

Post by NiceAft » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:31 pm

Wind Chime wrote:
NiceAft wrote:
Catigale wrote:Ps....you can slap a 9.9 HP onto your boat to close out the season...get a used one and unload it next year.
No installation costs!!
This bit of advice seems to have been glanced over. Unless your doing motoring in some major currents, that size motor will work well.
Ray
Hey Ray,
Sorry, your great idea was not overlooked but I should have replied back. In fact, I have been watching to see if there is a smaller engine(9.9-25hp) to buy for the rest of the season then re-sell. We have a Merc 2.2hp for our walker bay tender, and a Evinrude 4hp for our 12-foot flat bottom crab and fish boat, but I would not want to go out into our local Pacific currents and weather with less than a 9.9hp (as you suggest).

Other issue is time, our Suzuki DF50 is in the shop in 50 pieces waiting for me to call to give the green light to rebuild. Or, he will install a different engine that we find, and keep the broken Suzuki in lue of payment of installation and time already spent to take a part and assess the damage.

Darry
Thanks for the credit, but it is Cat's suggestion. I was just wondering why it was not picked up on :)

Ray

Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:55 pm

I can bring my Merc 75HP EFI out of the water all the way if I lift the helmsman seat raise my eng. all the way then drop the seat back down

J 8)

Check out I-boats see what they have used on sale
http://www.boatmotors.com/outboard/merc ... _sale.html

J 8)

kurz
Captain

Post by kurz » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:20 pm

Highlander wrote:I can bring my Merc 75HP EFI out of the water all the way if I lift the helmsman seat raise my eng. all the way then drop the seat back down

J 8)

Check out I-boats see what they have used on sale
http://www.boatmotors.com/outboard/merc ... _sale.html

J 8)
So YOUR Merc 75 is the same size than my merc60 year 2011...

Wind Chime
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Vancouver, B.C. Canada. 2000-26X, Suzuki-50hp, 8' Walker-Bay tender (with sailkit)

Post by Wind Chime » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:47 am

Wind Chime wrote:So it turns out the 2007 Mercury (Verado) 75 hp cowling (engine cover) is way TOO BIG! I saw one on model :macx: and the owner had to cut-out some of the back of the seat just to get the engine to go into the up position.:( Does anyone have a photo of the regular 2007-ish Mercury 75hp in the up position, on a model :macx:

We have an option of a 2001 Honda 75 HP. (Carb)

Does anyone have this engine on a model :macx: ? Will it fit?
Any problems with the carbs versus electronic fuel injection?
Anyone installed (or have a photo) of a 2001 era, Honda 75hp on an :macx: ?

Seapup
Captain

Post by Seapup » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:12 am

I can't say I have a pic of one mounted, but I did come close to buying one on two separate occasions. For some reason they pop up used often here. You probably already know this, but the 75 is the same as the 90. My understanding is it came out in 1994 as cutting edge and the 2001 is basically the same as the 1994. Now its a 20+ year old design with 4 carbs. Its physically large, but not as large as the mercs of that HP. They are similar size to the old Suzuki DF90/115 but with a very oval profile & no offset driveshaft, so sit about 4" further back on the transom moving the weight back & giving more clearance.

I would make very certain any used 4 stroke motor is a fresh water motor, the damage happens on the inside and not the outside. Google "water in oil" with the model you are looking at. All the major manufactures look to have had some issues with their early 4 strokes.

BTW Honda, Tohatsu, Suzuki, Nissan, Yamaha all use 33c cables, so the same box will work for all of them.

Wind Chime
Captain
Location: Vancouver, B.C. Canada. 2000-26X, Suzuki-50hp, 8' Walker-Bay tender (with sailkit)

Post by Wind Chime » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:12 pm

Seapup wrote:
BTW Honda, Tohatsu, Suzuki, Nissan, Yamaha all use 33c cables, so the same box will work for all of them.
Seapup, are you suggesting that my controller and the cables that are currently on our boat from our 2000 Suzuki DF50, will fit onto a Honda and Yamaha engine?

So what's your folks thoughts on what we should be looking for.
- We are not buying new.
- Possibly looking at the 2015 camp return engine when they come in during October, prices are lower, full warranty, 300-700 hours in (but lots of those hours at either WOT or low RPM trolling hours)

Our current checklist looks like this;
- 50-90 hp
- four stroke (fuel injected preferred over carbs, but carbs are fine only because I can fix a carb in port but I know nothing of injectors)
- 2000 or newer
- 20 inch leg
- engine that will tilt-up on a model-X, without the cowling hitting the back of the captions seat, or drag the leg in the water.
- power tilt/trim

We want the highest horsepower/torque that will fit on the back of an :macx: .
Willing to do some transom reinforcement if required.
Want to stay with the major brands like Suzuki, Honda, Mercury,

mallardjusted
Engineer
Location: Puget Sound, 2001 MACX4169K001 "Aqua Dawg", 70hp Yamaha

Post by mallardjusted » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:43 pm

I bought the new Yamaha 70 4-stroke a little over a year ago (replacing my Suzuki 50), and am extremely happy with it. Plenty of power, same cowling/outboard size as a 50HP, only a few pounds heavier than the 50,and not as expensive as any of the 90hp out there. Even with new cables it was a good buy. But, this model only being 2 or 3 years old, there probably aren't many used ones available.

beene
Site Admin

Post by beene » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:16 pm

Hi

I have a 2005 Merc 75 4s carb model

1600cc

375lb

Much shorter vertical head height than Hignlanders newer 75 with efi

My 75 vs wee Honda 50.... sorry Tom

G

beene
Site Admin

Post by beene » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:18 pm

Oh.... and with the 75... is does this

https://youtu.be/7Bn47Z6U9HE

8)

G

beene
Site Admin

Post by beene » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:26 pm

As for the motor tilting up all the way under the seat of an M or up to the seat of an X

I would not worry about that

With mine, which has less room of tilt up than your X, I can get it up to the point where it touches the back of the seat and all thats left in the water is the skeg.

I have done gps testing with the seat up to allow full tilt up, zero dif while sailing.

https://youtu.be/cBWtw6wzqZc

G

yukonbob
Admiral
Sailboat: Other

Post by yukonbob » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:49 pm

I have a 2006 70 Suzuki on our M and a 2002 80 Yamaha on the river boat. I am happy with both but the two major con’s for both are the suz parts are $$$ and the Yamaha pee hole is very hard to remove to clear debris; which I’m sure you’re familiar with being in the PNW. Not to knock Merc’s but I’ve had too many friends that have been left stranded or with big repairs bills to even consider them but I’m sure if you look each brand has its horror stories. The 70 on the M cannot go all the way up but does come far enough out of the water without hitting the seat to sail while dragging very little skeg in the water.

beene
Site Admin

Post by beene » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:56 pm

Good fit

Seapup
Captain

Post by Seapup » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:48 pm

Seapup, are you suggesting that my controller and the cables that are currently on our boat from our 2000 Suzuki DF50, will fit onto a Honda and Yamaha engine?
Yes and no, the box and control cables should work, they are all basically the same and can even be replaced by universal controls. For some yamahas you have to flip the throttle plate for push or pull to open to match the motor. (they have used both types) The motor cable ends have the same throw distance and threads. Suzuki used bullet connectors inside the box in 2000, so you would have to put bullet connectors on the control end of the new motor harness harness to match it up.