confused mast gate vs jackline

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

whgoffrn
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

confused mast gate vs jackline

Post by whgoffrn » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:35 pm

ok so im realizing with the storms that kick up as fast as they do I need a way to single handedly reef quickly at times when storms kick up...but im now realizing that part of the problem is the sail slugs would come out when I lower the sail and not to mention I cant reef with the sail stop in unless I release it because there just isn't quite enough room.... I get the concept behind what a mast gate is ...it just closes the gap in the mast (I have a 99x) so that the slugs slide down to the bottom where the boom is... but I cannot find a good pic of a jackline to be able to figure this out in my head....how exactly a jackline gets around the sail stop or does it???

someone please help direct me in the best way to single handedly reef...should I be looking at single line reefing kits like the one BWY sells? some say double lines and then once I figure that out how do I tackle the problem with the sail slugs...mast gate or jack line ..and if anyone has any close up pics with a jackline if you could post them so I can try to wrap my head around exactly what a jackline does

whgoffrn
Captain

Re: confused mast gate vs jackline

Post by whgoffrn » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:39 pm

background my boat is a 99x and im wanting to have another reefing point put in...but not at the intermediate reef spot...one up higher to have a reef spot at what would be a storm sail ...so if the weather gets bad I could reef main to standard factory reef spot....but if it got REALLY bad reef even further to a storm sail size and roll in 1/2 of the jib .... can you get single (or double) line reefing kits from the cockpit for 2 reefing points....my main concern is I single hand with 2 young kids and cant steer into the wind while I reef and cant steer and be up on the deck so everything has to be from the cockpit

whgoffrn
Captain

Post by whgoffrn » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:26 pm

maybe its late and im just tired and please correct me before im out banging on my mast with a hammer ....but with the high "opening" in the mast for a 99x... and Im reading all of these "fixes" for it...cutting slot out of the mast...tapping hole ..drilling into mast ...welding x pieces... sending sails off to have jacklines put in.... is it not possible to just hammer the opening closer together so the slugs dont fall out then bend a new opening way down low near the boom and then use a sail stop over that so that the sail slides all the way down the mast except the last 2-3 inches...is this a bad idea??
?

Billy
First Officer

Post by Billy » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:28 am

For a quick fix until you get your reefing lines, this is what I do. BTW, I single hand my X and have slugs in my main.

Instead of a mechanical sail stop I use a ball bungee wrapped around the mast at the top of the gate. It gives me just a little more area for stacking the slugs nearer the gate. Plus it's quick to release if I need and it doesn't fall out like the stop and go overboard.

Next, if you have a slugs at or near 12" of the forward reefing eye, do not insert those into the mast slot. Tension your halyard tight enough and you'll never know the difference. When it comes time to reef, lower the mainsail enough for the reefing eye to hook onto the J-hook and re-tighten the halyard. This only takes a few seconds ( well, maybe less than a minute). You'll find the mainsail will be able to overlap the lower slugs with out removing them. Everything stays in place until you're ready to shake out the reef.

Of course you'll have to reef the aft eye from the cockpit, but you can do that at the wheel.

I don't like the idea of cutting or modifying my mast, but want it clean and simple. Hope this helps.

Harry van der Meer
First Officer

Post by Harry van der Meer » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:09 am

I use a sail-stop as well, just above the gate. I had the same problem as you have in that I could not get the reefing cringle around the hook with the sail stop in. I solved this issue with a 1 inch ring and a short piece of 1/4" line through the reefing cringle, fixed with a square knot. With the halyard loose and the sail-stop in place, the 1 inch ring now comes low enough to reach the hook. I then have a single reefing line for the leech of the sail with a cleat on the boom near the mast. I also put in a second reefing point as most of the time the factory reefing point is too aggressive. Hope this helps.

Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:26 am

Nice to hear from you Harry. I don't need your trailer again this year.

:D

(sorry for the thread hijack, OP)

Harry van der Meer
First Officer

Post by Harry van der Meer » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:41 pm

Glad to hear that Steve. I just came back from a 2 week trip sailing Penobscot Bay (Rockland to NE Harbor). Just fantastic! My new trailer performed excellent!

whgoffrn
Captain

Post by whgoffrn » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:26 pm

ok so even more confused at this point at what I should be doing.... bwy said the only reefing kit they sell is meant for an intermediate reef not the factory reefing point.... living in fl where its sunny and nice one mine 50mph winds the next if I considered having an extra reefing spot in the sail it would be one up higher to make it a storm sail...now my question is can anyone please explain what I need in order to be able to reef to the standard factory reefing spot and even higher... id love to be able to put a 1st (factory reef) in at cockpit as well as a second even more aggressive reef in all from the cockpit...please help

Wind Chime
Captain
Location: Vancouver, B.C. Canada. 2000-26X, Suzuki-50hp, 8' Walker-Bay tender (with sailkit)

Post by Wind Chime » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:25 pm

First - Buy a slab (jiffy-reef) system. This is the best system for single handed Reefing, put in or shake out a reef all in one move safely from the cockpit. All you do is tighten the jiffy-line from the cockpit and it draws both the tack and the clew down to the boom in one move.

Example: http://members.tanzer22.com/Home/news-l ... ruary-1993. BWY has a great easy install system, which includes the all important "instructions". Most important is the aft cheek blocks to ensure the line is pulling the clew aft to flatten the sail. http://bwyachts.com/web%20catalog%20312 ... eefing.htm

The jiffy system basically consists of a few cheek blocks, pad eyes, a jam cleat, and a line attached to the boom that is thread through the luff and leach Reefing cringles. This can be installed for the standard "factory" first reef, the exact same system can be installed for the second reef as well.

You can install it right away with your sail and mast as-is right now, but your sail shape will not be perfect because the tack of the mainsail will not be tight against the boom, until you either (a) install a mast gate or (b) install jacklines on the bottom of your main sail. (we have mainsail jacklines and they work great)

Also: you need a system to take the weight of the boom when you are in the Reefing process. I suggest what we have which is a boom-kicker. Or an adjustable topping-lift does the same.
Last edited by Wind Chime on Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whgoffrn
Captain

Post by whgoffrn » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:39 pm

I have a topping lift now... and think I have the mastgate situation figured out... I believe im just going to close up the factory opening pounding it together with a rubber mallet then cut a small opening in the very bottom of the mast and use a sail stop...that will still bring all the slides within 3-4 inches of the boom.... however I talked to bwy today and they told me that their "single line reefing kit" would only work with an intermediate reef...not even the reefing spot made with the stock factory sail??? was I told incorrectly???

Seapup
Captain

Post by Seapup » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:52 am

I believe im just going to close up the factory opening pounding it together with a rubber mallet then cut a small opening in the very bottom of the mast and use a sail stop...that will still bring all the slides within 3-4 inches of the boom....
Before you pound it closed check and see if your sail luff has the clearance to just move the boom up a couple inches.