Another reason I love my Mac

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

dlandersson
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Another reason I love my Mac

Post by dlandersson » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:47 am

Bit of a sad time of the year, prepping and pulling boats from their slip for winter storage. :(

Gotta be out NLT 1 Nov. Spent the best part of a week coordinating everything, the yard, the tow, the help, the time, the liquid roller, etc. :|

Get to the marina early to prep the boat and get the coffee and donuts (the only "pay" my volunteers will take). The *&^%!!! drawbridge (which the boat HAS to go under to get to the ramp) is closed for painting. Holy M&^%$#!!!!!. Wadda I do? Everything is in motion, in play, committed, etc. :o

So we simply invent "Plan B", we drop the mast at the slip, instead of after we pull it from the water at the ramp. Put-put under the "closed" drawbridge, and on to the ramp, where we extract it. 8)

With most sailboats, I woulda been hosed, f----d, SOL, etc. Not with my Mac. I tell ya, every time I get "2 footitis", I indulge it, then remember how flexible my Mac is. Sailing, tubing, powerboating, camping, etc. - it's simply hard to beat. 8)
Last edited by dlandersson on Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

beene
Site Admin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Another reason I love my Mac

Post by beene » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:47 pm

X2

8)

G

paul I
First Officer
Location: Niagara Falls, NY 2000 26X w/Honda BF50 "NoneShallPass"

Post by paul I » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:15 am

I could be in the minority here, but I always lower and store the mast while the boat is still in the water.

Obelix
Captain

Post by Obelix » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:32 am

I rather pick tools and screws of the ground, instead to dive for them :) :wink:

Obelix

Ixneigh
Admiral

Post by Ixneigh » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:18 pm

I put the mast up and down in the water. Granted I only trailer the boat once a year so far. It takes me two hours to get the mast and rigging up working myself at a slow pace
Ix

Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander » Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:01 pm

Ixneigh wrote:I put the mast up and down in the water. Granted I only trailer the boat once a year so far. It takes me two hours to get the mast and rigging up working myself at a slow pace
Ix
Holly Molly , I can put up the mast & 4 furlers , back-stay , bimini & dodger on the ramp in 2 hrs :P & I,m an old fart !!

J 8)

dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:48 pm

Ditto - normally :D
Obelix wrote:I rather pick tools and screws of the ground, instead to dive for them :) :wink:

Obelix

Gazmn
Admiral
Location: Bayside, NY '97X, E-tec 115 Pontoon, The "Ollie Gray" & '01 Chevy Tahoe W/ Tow Pkg

Post by Gazmn » Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:06 am

Once again, our boats Do what most can't. & for less money :wink:

Owners in reasonable shape & with good skills can solo: setup / take down- on or off the water, dock, trailer on & off, mod, sail, motor... Boat :!:

Sharing & delegating is optional but much appreciated - but not necessarily necessary - & That's why I love my Mac.

Jimmyt
Captain

Post by Jimmyt » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:38 am

Too true Gaz. Well put. I'm sneaking up on 60 and can still get the rig ready by myself in about 30-40 mins, but it's nice to have help.

Ix, part of your problem may be that you only trailer twice a year (actually, that may be your advantage - more sail time). My P.O. Took about that long because he had a spot at the marina and left it on the trailer with the stick up and sails on. He never optimized trailer setup, because he rarely ever did it. Your boat seems to be set up for more than just day sailing. Were you counting the time to remove all of the accessories, too - or was that 2 hours to drop the mast and stow sails?

I love my Mac because the kids can go fast in power mode, I can sail with the Admiral (and friends) and have a relaxing day, or both on the same day - in the same boat! I choose to trailer, so I can walk downstairs and tinker with my boat after a sucky day at work. I'm a tinkerer, so even working on the boat is therapeutic. When a squall passes thru, I know my Mac is safe and sound - one less thing to worry about.

Ixneigh
Admiral

Post by Ixneigh » Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:06 pm

My boat is one that lives in the water and vacations ashore. We are not optimized for trailoring. I like to take my time. I have never rigged on the ramp. I have plenty of calm places to rig afloat and usually plan on making it the afternoon.
Then leave the next day. Takes me a while to either stow or break out the mast equipment sails tools etc.
Ix

Herschel
Captain

Post by Herschel » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:55 pm

Takes me a while to either stow or break out the mast equipment sails tools etc.
I am with you on taking my time and being methodical and safe. Besides, Florida heat can really beat you up while you put a Mac together. :P