Help with anchor

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Tomfoolery
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Help with anchor

Post by Tomfoolery » Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:26 pm

Use tinypic.com No account, no sign-up, no nothing. Just upload and post the cryptic url it returns that has ubb code at each end (img and /img) right into your post. so we can all see it. :) :wink:

whgoffrn
Captain

Post by whgoffrn » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:02 pm

well I anchor from the stern at times with my light anchor (13 lb mantus....I obviously favor those anchors lol) but for heavy weather ive always been told never from the stern and it just makes common sense that you are risking swamping the boat if anchored from stern. much more likely to take on green if waves are crashing on the boat from behind ....too risky .... I am considering mounting the anchor at the stern but still hooked to the bow....still working on the details how to run the line from bow back without risk of it falling over wrapping around prop.... or if its a danger that when you drop the anchor from the stern it could get snagged on dagger board capsizing the boat if the boat is already beam to the waves..... lets say im motoring in heavy winds/waves and the engine dies (ive had this happen once already) boat immediately turns sideways into the waves making it much more difficult to manage a heavy anchor when the boat is rocking very badly side to side as waves crash into the beam..... now one thing ive worried about is in a given scenario like this if I have the anchor mounted at the stern but on the port side still connected to the bow but the waves are coming from the starboard side pushing me to the left when the engine dies....if I deploy the anchor from the port side being pushed that direction if this catches onto the keelboard using that anchor that bites in hard and fast ...it could potentially capsize the boat yanking the port side down as a wave smashes into the starboard side..... may be over thinking this but I don't think its a bad thing to be prepared for scenarios as they may come up

Ixneigh
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Ixneigh » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:46 am

It will not capsize the boat. It will either break the board or slip off the end of board as the boat leans over.
You may want to add a bit of extra ballast if you are operating in extreme (Mac) conditions. I added 350 pounds of lead bricks along either side of the main ballast tanks and filled two lockers with foam to add bouyancy. I feel a lot better in iffy conditions now.
Ix

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:03 am

whgoffrn wrote:....if I deploy the anchor from the port side being pushed that direction if this catches onto the keelboard using that anchor that bites in hard and fast ...it could potentially capsize the boat yanking the port side down as a wave smashes into the starboard side..... may be over thinking this but I don't think its a bad thing to be prepared for scenarios as they may come up
You are overthinking it, IMO. Retract the centerboard, and keep the rode from having excessive slack as you prepare to deploy. The anchor will drop and swing until it's under the bow, unless you have more than a boat length of chain. But even then, it's still heading straight for the bottom. Pay out rode, from the cockpit, with the line passing through a fairlead or bow roller. Cleat it in the cockpit (stern cleat?) so you never have to go forward, once the anchor is set of course, or as you're setting it if you need to cinch it to set the anchor and then pay out more rode for the desired scope. Pass the bitter end through the opening in the center of the cleat with a stopper knot before deploying, for obvious reasons.