Smartphone Wind Velocity Meters

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Berber Boy
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Paynesville, VIC 3880 AUSTRALIA WindSong 2016 26M 75hp Etec

Smartphone Wind Velocity Meters

Post by Berber Boy » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:38 pm

Has anyone tried out the Ronstan Vaavud V2 Wind meter yet. Seems a cheap option to get reasonably accurate wind measurement although not at the top of the mast.

http://www.ronstan.com.au/marine5/Vaavud.asp

BB

Tomfoolery
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Smartphone Wind Velocity Meters

Post by Tomfoolery » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:01 am

I saw them in WM, but for the price of a dedicated hand-held instrument, I thought it wasn't worth it. And the egg cups look like they're susceptible to breakage, especially the way I treat the contents of my boat. The other style, with the impeller in a housing, would be less likely to get damaged, too. Either a dedicated instrument, or a plug-in for a smart phone.

RussMT
Admiral

Post by RussMT » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:03 am

Never used one of the smart phone gadgets. I have one of these and it works well when curious about speed.

Obelix
Captain

Post by Obelix » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:08 am

We're using a dedicated hand-held as well. Th sensitivity of the turbine-wheel is making it easier to get the wind direction as well.

Obelix

Berber Boy
First Officer
Location: Paynesville, VIC 3880 AUSTRALIA WindSong 2016 26M 75hp Etec

Post by Berber Boy » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:26 pm

Tomfoolery wrote:I saw them in WM, but for the price of a dedicated hand-held instrument, I thought it wasn't worth it. And the egg cups look like they're susceptible to breakage, especially the way I treat the contents of my boat. The other style, with the impeller in a housing, would be less likely to get damaged, too. Either a dedicated instrument, or a plug-in for a smart phone.

That is my thinking too. I have a dedicated Celeston that has stood up and performed well for at least 7 years and the cups do loo9k susceptible to breakage although V2 looks a better redesign

BB

mastreb
Admiral

Post by mastreb » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:17 am

I have the original Vavuud before Ronstan bought them. They work well. There's no electronics to it; the shaft has two magnets on it which rotate, causing the microphone voice coil to move in and out. This creates a sinewave that the phone picks up as sound, and the app converts the frequency of the sound to windspeed.

It's incredibly simple. Mine hasn't broken, but it does seem a bit fragile. Because it's cup-based, you cannot turn it to get the wind direction the way you can with the fan units.