please critique my possible future mods

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.
whgoffrn
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: please cretique my possible future mods

Post by whgoffrn »

I've done probably 10-15 sails already averaging 15 miles one way ....sail up the ICW 15 miles anchor by my favorite island and sail the 15 miles back the following dry...
At times during these trips is when I've gotten caught in some nasty weather and needed to drop the sails to motor for 30mins to an hour in 25+ kt winds
whgoffrn
Captain

Post by whgoffrn »

Even in these conditions I was barely 1/2 throttle maybe 1/4 due to excessive spray from chop/waves which is what makes me wonder just how small of an engine I could get away with...... I don't have extra reef in main yet but once I do I'll use the sails more during excessive winds right now rolling out the jib.... In high winds it overpowers the bow of the boat even when it's a patch put out ....I need a small portion of main up to even it out if I'm going to attempt sailing in winds like that
yukonbob
Admiral
Sailboat: Other

Post by yukonbob »

whgoffrn wrote:Even in these conditions I was barely 1/2 throttle maybe 1/4 due to excessive spray from chop/waves which is what makes me wonder just how small of an engine I could get away with...... I don't have extra reef in main yet but once I do I'll use the sails more during excessive winds right now rolling out the jib.... In high winds it overpowers the bow of the boat even when it's a patch put out ....I need a small portion of main up to even it out if I'm going to attempt sailing in winds like that
I hear ya. Even running with just head sail the aft get squirely on the M (25knts +). Need a bit of main to balance it out. I thkn the power of your OB will really depend on where the predominant wind is coming from in relation to your destination or safe anchorage.
81venture
Captain

Post by 81venture »

whgoffrn wrote:Call it paranoia or that I like extra added security....an extra engine or triple back stays does not mean I'd feel fine going out in 10-12s

As far as an 8hp kicker that may also be an option... I didn't realize an 8 could push a Mac to hull speed.... Basically what I'm looking for is a spare that can still push the Mac to hullspeed BUT in semi snotty conditions IF got unlucky and got caught out in it and then had engine failure .... I usually drop sails at 25+kts winds and motor with balast in.... Would an 8hp push a Mac in those conditions???????

the 8hp pushes her at a nice cruising speed... with the bigger prop is enough ass for most current/wind conditions

yeah if you get out into "stupid" conditions or current who knows... but I suspect i could limp home in most conditions that I was still for some god forsaken reason still out in the first place ;-)

I am rigging my boat for a one day bahamas trip...so I am also like you...no way I am going out of site of land without 2 motors, and sails

dave
Russ
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Russ »

All good advice above.

Don't mess with the rigging. It's designed very well. I've always been nervous about the headstay. Seems a few people have had failures. The larger headstay (mentioned above) seems smart. Always check the crimps for fatigue and worn strands.

What I did was add a second emergency headstay. Just a hunk of line to a hound higher up from the forestay. Let's me believe if the headstay broke, it would hold a bit until I could control the situation.

Take the kicker motor advice. It will get you home.

Rudders. Ya got 2 of 'em and a motor that steers. Some owners have duct taped boat hooks to their motor for a tiller to get home.

--Russ
whgoffrn
Captain

Post by whgoffrn »

I like the emergency headstay basically that's what I was going to do only with wire and very little weight put on it as to not mess with the jib..... And definately food for thought ...of course I'd prefer to keep the 50hp as I can also see where if I'm motoring across the gulf in flat seas which is the only time I'd leave is if its flat calm. Then I'd get across that much quicker before a storm rolled in to change things ..... I just didn't know an 8hp kicker had enough ass to push the boat if the winds and waves kicked up and the 50 died.....will definately consider that option now
Sumner
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by Sumner »

whgoffrn wrote:...As far as an 8hp kicker that may also be an option... I didn't realize an 8 could push a Mac to hull speed..
You really don't need to be able to run hull speed. I don't think I've ever run at hull speed and I'm sure the 9.8 I have could do it on the S but there is just no need. If I'm motoring it is usually around 5 or maybe a little more if I have a long crossing and need to be anchored by dark. I'd go with the suggestions on keeping what you have and mounting a second smaller motor. I have the 3 1/2 HP for that and also now the electric trolling motor. If you had engine failure over there you would sit tight and use the motor as little as possible and work your way home mainly with the sails. We have a huge advantage there compared to a power boat. All of this is also the reason to have a flexible schedule if you go that far from the states.

I put all new rigging on the boat and went to a 5/32nd forestay. Do that and you will be fine. Just check things on the trip. Over in Georgetown I inspected and found one of the ring-dings had a nick in it from the way the pin was in the bottom of the forestay. It was pulling on the ring-ding. I put a new one on and reversed the pin so that the ring-ding wasn't in a bind. Also the backstay on these boats doesn't take much of the load at all with where the shrouds mount so I wouldn't worry much about the backstay.

Unless you get caught in a squall you shouldn't be moving in 25+ mph winds and if that happens hopefully you are not close to a shore and you drop the sails and run the motor to try and keep a good angle on the waves and it shouldn't be going on forever. Even the smaller motor would handle this.

Sumner

============================

1300 miles to the Bahamas and back -- 2015

The MacGregor 26-S

The Endeavour 37

Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links
whgoffrn
Captain

Post by whgoffrn »

I scoreda cheap 8hp 2 stroke 25" yachtwin off craigslist for 150 bucks... needs work but i prefer the older ones cause im quite familiar unfortunately with small carb tear down spray with carb cleaner and put back together.....it seems thats all that ever happens to these old 2 strokes so hopefully ill get it running when i get some free time and ill go through the entire engine to have it basicallly a new but more simple to work on engine.....so hopefully this kicker will work out
Sumner
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by Sumner »

whgoffrn wrote:I scoreda cheap 8hp 2 stroke 25" yachtwin off craigslist for 150 bucks... needs work but i prefer the older ones cause im quite familiar unfortunately with small carb tear down spray with carb cleaner and put back together.....it seems thats all that ever happens to these old 2 strokes so hopefully ill get it running when i get some free time and ill go through the entire engine to have it basicallly a new but more simple to work on engine.....so hopefully this kicker will work out
I think you will be happy with that solution :) ,

Sumner

============================

1300 miles to the Bahamas and back -- 2015

The MacGregor 26-S

The Endeavour 37

Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

Care to post a photo or two of your new (old) OB score?
whgoffrn
Captain

Post by whgoffrn »

Im not exactly sure how to post a pic on here .....its an old beat up yachtwin but i got it for 150 and gonna replacesome stuff to make it more dependable.....would post but dont know how to put a pic on here
DrunkenOldsalt
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: MacGregor 22

Re:Sea Anchor/Drogue system

Post by DrunkenOldsalt »

Years ago it was recommended that you hang a drogue off the stern often an old tire and run under bare poles.
I found out the hard way it's better to put your nose into the sea. Not your butt. Putting the stern into the sea came from the Dutch sailing the North Sea. But their boats are double enders.
Also add a steering oar so that you can pull the stern around and keep you nose into the sea when she starts to yaw.
Some more equipment you might consider.
Power bars and hot buttered rum or Kai.(That's hot chocolate and rum.)
It gets cold out there even in the tropic's
Have fun
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

whgoffrn wrote:...would post but dont know how to put a pic on here
Easiest way to quickly post a pic without having an account with a photo hosting site is to go to tinypic.com. Hit the 'browse' button, find the pic you want to post on your computer in the window that opens, select it, hit the 'open' button, then the 'upload now!' button. You might have to click a little security window and answer a question (to prove you're a human, not a bot), but it then returns four url's. Highlight and copy the one with the UBB code on each end (img and /img in square brackets) and paste that link directly into your reply. Leave a blank line before and after the link for good readability. Click the 'preview' button on your post page to see what your post looks like before submitting.

No account, no personal info, no nothing. Easy peasy. Click 'quote' on this link to see what the pic below looks like 'in the raw'.

Québec 1
Admiral

Post by Québec 1 »

If you have a dingy, just hook it up to your Mac and row back to the marina. If you have a small electric motor and a power pack you don't even have to row. You can tow a Mac with a 99$ dingy and a set of oars.
Q1 :macm:
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

I'm not real sure on the classic boats, but they seem to me to be even sturdier than the newer power sailors so I can't imagine any reason to upgrade the rigging on any MAC unless you were planning to add more sails like Highlander.

The stock rigging on the M boat is strong enough to lift the boat right out of the water, so anything you plan on encountering out there that scares you in a classic should not be based on the rigging but only the age of it's rigging. If your going to put out for a long crossing at sea then just replace the rigging with new stock rigging if it is old, and that would make you as strong as you will ever need to be.

Sails are always more reliable than a motor. As long as you have your sails the motor is not important. I can dock the boat without a motor - I do it all the time, but if maneuvering the harbor without a motor is your worry no need - once your sails get you to a harbor there is always help there that can tow you to the dock. The most important thing to have is a good working radio.