please critique my possible future mods

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

whgoffrn
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: please cretique my possible future mods

Post by whgoffrn » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:19 pm

I thought the real difference between a drogues purpose and say a sea anchor is .....the sea anchor almost stops you dead in your tracms and hung from the bow only......drogue is if youre still trying to make it back to a safe anchorage but got caught out in nasty conditions and want to slow but not stop the boat and ensure you dont broach in a large following or quartering sea....thats why i figured for my purposes a drogue might suit me better ..i seem to always find myself running from a storm sometimes getting caught or very near misses

yukonbob
Admiral
Sailboat: Other

Re: please cretique my possible future mods

Post by yukonbob » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:43 pm

whgoffrn wrote:I thought the real difference between a drogues purpose and say a sea anchor is .....the sea anchor almost stops you dead in your tracms and hung from the bow only......drogue is if youre still trying to make it back to a safe anchorage but got caught out in nasty conditions and want to slow but not stop the boat and ensure you dont broach in a large following or quartering sea....thats why i figured for my purposes a drogue might suit me better ..i seem to always find myself running from a storm sometimes getting caught or very near misses
You got it. With the exception of a series drogue, which does pretty much the same as a Sea anchor with the idea that a little headway adds to the stability of the vessel and comfort of the crew.