Foul weather gear?

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

whgoffrn
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Foul weather gear?

Post by whgoffrn » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:59 am

Just curious if anyone here has any ideas on a product or way to visualize when riding out a storm.... wether you motor into the wind / waves or use a sail common sense is point into it.... but that leaves you getting horizontal rain sprayed in the face ..... the biggest challenge I've had during storms is vision .... I wear contacts and contacts almost came out a few times ....i used to use a hat and regular sun glasses but thought I'd try something different this time and used skii goggles meant for snow skiing......unless I bought the wrong ones or lense color (amber ) I felt sunglasses and hat may have worked better ......a buddy of mine suggested motor cycle glasses .....anyone on here find any creative ways to visualize better in storms ?

K9Kampers
Admiral

Re: Foul weather gear?

Post by K9Kampers » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:46 am

Since my last rain-in-the-face sailing adventure, I've had at the ready, this style of swim goggles but have not yet needed them for that purpose.

Bilgemaster
First Officer
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia--"Breakin' Wind" 2001 26X, Honda BF50A 50hp engine

Post by Bilgemaster » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:35 pm

Well, there's always these "babe magnets"...

Sumner
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by Sumner » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:33 pm

I've always worn glasses and never contacts. Do you carry glasses with you also. If not that might make a good backup if there is a problem with the contacts in the rain possibly falling out. Not that you can see a lot better in the rain with them, but with a lanyard around your neck and attached to them you shouldn't loose them :wink: .

Not to sound negative, but I think you are spending a lot of time and money on storms that should be very short lived if you do encounter them. Hurricanes should be avoided at all cost and I for sure would not spend them on the boat if one came that you couldn't outrun. In the Bahamas you usually are never very far from land,

Sumner

============================
1300 miles to the Bahamas and back -- 2015

The MacGregor 26-S

The Endeavour 37

Trips to Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links

jimmy alonso
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by jimmy alonso » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:19 pm

Made this "windshield" I use it when motoring when the wind and waves are head on. Keeps the spray out of the face and the Chart plotter from getting soaked also. Stops most of the rain also but if its really windy and to one side we get soak and wet. A hat close to the eyes helps some what.
At anchor it lets me leave the hatch off when it rains if its not too big of a downpour. Its held on by velcro and rolls up and I just use put 3 bungies and flop it on top of the bimini.

BOAT
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by BOAT » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:15 am

Yeah, I got blasted in 20 knot winds blowing abeam on the last trip to Catalina - we were in a hurry so I was on the motor and the spray coming over the side was so bad when we hit a big wave that I sent my wife down below to keep her dry - by the time I got to Avalon I was soaked and my wife had sour tummy from sitting below in the waves. The wetness I can handle, It's the salt in my eyes that sort of bugged me and I had sunglasses on. It's a common problem - one I have encountered many many times as a youngster sailing with my dad.

That was why I wanted to design a new sliding hatch for the M boat out of fiberglass - I wanted a replaceable hatch i could use for off-shore travel and a tiller below decks.

This was my concept:

DownSouth
Deckhand

Post by DownSouth » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:11 am

I think you should draw one up for the X Boat :wink:

DownSouth