Gooseneck Mast slider

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.
Late2sail
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Gooseneck Mast slider

Post by Late2sail »

A friend noticed my current fixed boom height doesn’t allow my main to go full height. He recommended I look into getting a gooseneck mast slider. Raising the mast would also allow me to sail with Bimini in place. Does anyone use this set up? If so, would you happen to have a source for one that fits a 1999 26X mast?
Thanks
March
Captain

Re: Gooseneck Mast slider

Post by March »

Not familiar with the device, but you can always adjust the height of the boom by releasing the topping lift for optimal performance. You're right though, in a certain position the boom interferes with the bimini: ours has been rubbing against the leading edge of the bimini all the way through the fabric. It takes a little juggling around to find the optimal bimini tilt, but with the four lateral lines and buckles that are standard, it can be accomplished. It takes some five minutes once the boom and the bimini are in place.
LeePierce
Deckhand

Post by LeePierce »

Every time I look into the sliders so can adjust my boom or more easily remove it for trailering, I look at where the sail track opening is and realize that is exactly where I need the slider to be.
Not all of us have a topping lift.
What I have done is.... modified the way the bottom front of the sail is tied down to the boom to leave more of a gap so I can raise the overall sail higher, that allows the boom to raise higher in the cockpit.
Without a topping lift or boom kicker, the sail's height and shape is what determines where the boom ends up. Essentially the sail is the topping lift on a stock MacX.

Those with proper training are likely screaming about proper sail shape and all the methods used to obtain shape vs. boom height, but... the stock MacX does not supply all those goodies so for now a higher sail is all I can do.

Lee
Late2sail
Just Enlisted

Post by Late2sail »

Thank you for the replies. I will update this post with what I find out once I do some more research.