Think about your MOB procedures

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.
Highlander
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Re: Think about your MOB procedures

Post by Highlander »

Is it possible that you actually believe you know better than the U.S. Coast Guard, B.O.A.T.U.S., and many organizations dedicated to boating safety, and the precautions that should be taken.

Sounds like he,s a follower of that "know it all" Guy down there . believe me I know my Sh_t ,I,m the only guy who know,s how to fix this , Im rich I,m highly educated , Nobody know,s sh_t like he do,es , flip flops more decisions than MacDonalds does hamburgers roll,s more staff thro his office than the employment office has customer,s !

His name slip,s my mind right now guess I,m getting as absent minded as he is god only know,s he has all the answers ?

As u r an Acting self appointed safety adviser u should know that statics say most accidents auto usually happen within a short distance from departure point & most boat accidents happen close to shore in busy harbours or water ways & most r caused by people who erred on the fact that they thought they knew best .
Police officer to driver sir why did u run that red light
Driver to police officer well sir I was only 10ft from the red light & U were 30ft from the green light so I just figured I,d the right of way !
Police Officer. sir u were stop I was doing 50mp/h
Driver So what does that have to do with It !!! I was there first ? :o

J 8)
Just sayin That,s All , I,ve done a lot of crazy sh~t in my day , but I don,t necc. tell everyone :P
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

I don't care if you don't wear a seat belt or wear a PFD. Just make sure your life insurance is paid up.
Baha
First Officer

Post by Baha »

Over here in the UK, the Royal Yachting Association used to say that "it is the privilege of every Englishman to drown himself, his family and his crew". Having said that, I still cannot believe the number of sailors I see without any PFD in sight, let alone a safely strap. When I am single handing I always wear an auto-inflating life vest and clip on whenever I am out of the cockpit. This is a real pita when anchoring, but lots better than the alternative. My next safety investment will probably be a waterproof, floating VHF with GPS capability.

Just remember the old saying about old vs bold sailors.....
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Buddy of mine showed up in church awhile back with a couple of black eyes and various cuts and scrapes. He left his dock in a bit of a breeze, only to have his kicker die and fail to restart. The wind blew him into a neighbors dock where he figured he'd tie up and walk back home for tools. He ties the boat to the dock and is about to step out onto the dock.

Cut to the day before. What he didn't know is, his neighbor had been in the process of replacing deck boards on the dock...

Well, my buddy steps out of his boat onto the end of a loose board which, with slapstick perfection, proceeded to tilt up and clock him back into his boat. He's not sure exactly what happened, but remembers coming around in his boat, bleeding from various locations.

He never wore a vest before in his life, but he had a complete conversion as a result of his incident. Now he puts his vest on at his dock before he steps on the boat. He told me that he felt lucky to be alive, and that he would have died if he had fallen in the water instead of his boat. He wears an inflatable, as mentioned before, which is minimally restrictive.

I grew up, like him, not wearing pfds. It's pretty much the norm NOT to wear them on the bay. Water is warm and generally shallow, and most people are strong swimmers if they're water folk. But, since I got the Mac, the Admiral has insisted that we always wear vests. We wear the inflatables, and I don't even notice it anymore. All crew wear vests also. It doesn't take much depth to drown you if you're unconscious...
kurz
Admiral

Post by kurz »

Jimmyt wrote:Buddy of mine showed up in church awhile back with a couple of black eyes and various cuts and scrapes. He left his dock in a bit of a breeze, only to have his kicker die and fail to restart. The wind blew him into a neighbors dock where he figured he'd tie up and walk back home for tools. He ties the boat to the dock and is about to step out onto the dock.

Cut to the day before. What he didn't know is, his neighbor had been in the process of replacing deck boards on the dock...

Well, my buddy steps out of his boat onto the end of a loose board which, with slapstick perfection, proceeded to tilt up and clock him back into his boat. He's not sure exactly what happened, but remembers coming around in his boat, bleeding from various locations.

He never wore a vest before in his life, but he had a complete conversion as a result of his incident. Now he puts his vest on at his dock before he steps on the boat. He told me that he felt lucky to be alive, and that he would have died if he had fallen in the water instead of his boat. He wears an inflatable, as mentioned before, which is minimally restrictive.

I grew up, like him, not wearing pfds. It's pretty much the norm NOT to wear them on the bay. Water is warm and generally shallow, and most people are strong swimmers if they're water folk. But, since I got the Mac, the Admiral has insisted that we always wear vests. We wear the inflatables, and I don't even notice it anymore. All crew wear vests also. It doesn't take much depth to drown you if you're unconscious...
Of coures you are right! But: If you want to stay safe that never can happen anything, never go out as a pedestrian without a helmet, or better stay in bed... But as we know... people die in beds every day... You know what I mean...
Baha
First Officer

Post by Baha »

I think there is a difference between primary safety precautions (looking where you step, keeping your lines stowed, etc), secondardy precautions like life jackets and straps, and tertiary..which goes in to the "silly season" stuff. You cannot guarantee safety, but you can look out for yourself and your crew. A MOB with a kid who swims well, in warm water is one thing. Having one going under in our cold North Sea water is quite another. Everything depends on context.
1st Sail
Captain

Post by 1st Sail »

As long as you can predict a forth coming emergency you will have ample time to prepare. For those who put on a pfd just before the emergency arrives why bother....following is a motivational message:

"Try to keep it short.

1995 single-handing my CSY 44 from Aruba to Panama. Downwind 30+ kts of wind and big steep seas off Columbia. Headsail furled to about 20%, Main reefed all the way down (no staysail out). Furling line frays apart, headsail unfurls. I go forward on jackline, start hand rolling the sail in. Boat broaches from Port to Starboard tack, sail comes across bow , picks me up off the deck and dumps me in the water. Boat swings back to initial tack, I go under keel; not enough line to get to the surface on that side, ran out of air, current to strong to get back over, so I opened the harness shackle and cut free the boat. Swam behind boat and grabbed trailing line I always have out when sailing alone. Managed to hook across line just before the trailing fender on the end smacked me in the head. Used presseck (sp?) knots to 'Jumar' back to boat and climbed aboard. Cut the sheets from the headsail and let the thing trash itself to death for the rest of the night. Now always run Jack Lines with short leads and check furling lines often and very carefully End of story. MM"

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11473&p=134267#p134267
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

1st Sail wrote:As long as you can predict a forth coming emergency you will have ample time to prepare. For those who put on a pfd just before the emergency arrives why bother....following is a motivational message:

"Try to keep it short.

1995 single-handing my CSY 44 from Aruba to Panama. Downwind 30+ kts of wind and big steep seas off Columbia. Headsail furled to about 20%, Main reefed all the way down (no staysail out). Furling line frays apart, headsail unfurls. I go forward on jackline, start hand rolling the sail in. Boat broaches from Port to Starboard tack, sail comes across bow , picks me up off the deck and dumps me in the water. Boat swings back to initial tack, I go under keel; not enough line to get to the surface on that side, ran out of air, current to strong to get back over, so I opened the harness shackle and cut free the boat. Swam behind boat and grabbed trailing line I always have out when sailing alone. Managed to hook across line just before the trailing fender on the end smacked me in the head. Used presseck (sp?) knots to 'Jumar' back to boat and climbed aboard. Cut the sheets from the headsail and let the thing trash itself to death for the rest of the night. Now always run Jack Lines with short leads and check furling lines often and very carefully End of story. MM"

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11473&p=134267#p134267
WOW!!!! Now that's a story.
dlandersson
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by dlandersson »

Update

The Chicago Yacht Club just released a 60-page report with its findings and recommendations following the death of a sailor who fell overboard in the 2018 Chicago Mackinac race. The takeaway from the report.

On July 21, 2018, about a half hour after the start of the 330-mile Chicago Mackinac Race, Jon Santarelli, an excellent swimmer, slipped overboard from the cockpit of the TP 52 IMEDI. The wind was blowing 18-25 knots and the waves were 6-8 feet in height. There was an all-hands effort to get Jon back on board; unfortunately, after three passes, Jon slipped under the water.

His inflatable PFD was set to auto-inflate...but it didn’t, and he didn’t manually inflate it. The boat executed a Quick Stop maneuver, and then circled around but the boat had too much speed to stop near Jon. On the second attempt as they got close to Jon, a wave forced the boat up and over Jon and he went under the boat from starboard to port. IMEDI circled a third time, and this time they were able to stop the boat very close to Jon, but as they tossed Jon a line and he raised his arms, he slipped below the water and was not seen again.

The full report:

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/ ... Report.pdf

quote="dlandersson"]Think about your MOB procedures 8)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -boat.html[/quote]