Off season books and movies

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

dlandersson
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Off season books and movies

Post by dlandersson » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:02 pm

Just discovered the TV series "Hornblower S01" on youtube, apparently from 2000.

Pretty nice. 8)

yukonbob
Admiral
Sailboat: Other

Re: Off season books and movies

Post by yukonbob » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:53 pm

Watched this series last spring. If you can find the whole series its a good watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m3nuin ... tNVoHeFyS8

1st Sail
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by 1st Sail » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:46 pm

Nothing like the Northern Doldrums to stir the passions and hopes of us seasonal sailors. By early Dec I'm counting the days.. not 'til Christmas but 'til Winter Solstice. Then each day approx 1 more minute of day light and eventually thermal warming. My sympathies to those further North than I80. I80 x Mississippi River is far north enough until spring-summer-fall. Then I find myself to far south.

dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:56 am

Very nice. Thank you. 8)
yukonbob wrote:Watched this series last spring. If you can find the whole series its a good watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m3nuin ... tNVoHeFyS8

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:29 am

1st Sail wrote:Nothing like the Northern Doldrums to stir the passions and hopes of us seasonal sailors. By early Dec I'm counting the days.. not 'til Christmas but 'til Winter Solstice. Then each day approx 1 more minute of day light and eventually thermal warming. My sympathies to those further North than I80. I80 x Mississippi River is far north enough until spring-summer-fall. Then I find myself to far south.
Thanks. I'm north of I-90. The Long Gray, from early December through May. Or so it feels. I'm getting soooo tired of this. :P

Duquette5
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 19

Post by Duquette5 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:36 am

I straddle the I-90 in Central Mass. One of my favorites is the Patrick O'Brian Aubrey-Maturin Series : https://www.patrickobrian.com/am_chrono.htm

This was what the Master and Commander: Far side of the World movie was based off of.

>M<

Chinook
Admiral

Post by Chinook » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:11 pm

I heartily recommend the Honor series of books by Robert Macomber. Up to 14 books now, I believe, and still in the writing. Macomber has been described as America's Patrick O'Brian. Not sure I can go that far, but his work is nonetheless highly entertaining. He begins his tales during the Civil War, with his hero Peter Wake a junior Union officer on blockade patrol along Florida's Gulf Coast. His stories follow Wake's career during a somewhat poorly understood period of American naval history, between the Civil War and the period just prior to WW1, and which just happens to coincide with the Navy's transition from sail to steam, and then to coal fired steam turbine. In the most recent book Wake is up to his eyeballs with the Spanish War. Each volume deals with a specific historic event, with fictional characters bringing adventures to life. Macomber is thorough in his historical research, and introduces historic figures into the mix, along with his fictional players. He's already revealed that Wake, along with the book series, will conclude with his retirement in 1908, so that leaves time for several more volumes. I particularly enjoy it when the stories involve places which we've visited on our boat, including the Florida Gulf and Atlantic Coast, the Keys, and the Bahamas. As you can tell, I'm a hooked Wakian. I suggest you give them a try.

Interim
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by Interim » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:09 pm

Risking a suggestion that most of you have probably read, a friend loaned me "Airborne" by WF Buckley a few weeks ago. An excellent account of sailing across the Atlantic, with entertaining tangents along the way.

--john

Y.B.Normal
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Y.B.Normal » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:47 pm

Interim wrote:Risking a suggestion that most of you have probably read, a friend loaned me "Airborne" by WF Buckley a few weeks ago. An excellent account of sailing across the Atlantic, with entertaining tangents along the way.

--john
I read this book last fall; it's a great read from a lifelong sailor.