Advice needed from 50hp Honda M owners about prop

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.

Moderators: Hamin' X, kmclemore, Paul S, beene, Catigale

NiceAft
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Advice needed from 50hp Honda M owners about prop

Post by NiceAft » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:40 pm

I needed to get a prop repaired (missing a chunk), but I was told that a new prop is a better idea. OK. I have no problem with that, but before I go ahead, what is the best prop for an :macm: with a 50HP Honda.

I have read many post over the years, but I believe most, if not all, did not apply to a Honda 50HP on an :macm:. I could be wrong :?:

I would think the different hull shape between and :macx: & an :macm: would potentially dictate different props for the same motor?

Ray

Starscream
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Advice needed from 50hp Honda M owners about prop

Post by Starscream » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:03 pm

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16517

From my post on that thread:

Based on some previous threads on this board, I too changed my prop after a bottom strike. I bought an OEM Honda 4 - 11.8 x 9 to replace the unmarked 3-blade that came with the boat. Honda BF50. Original 3-blade maxed at about 6200 RPM so I never ran full throttle. At 6k RPM I had a very consistent 15 mph through the water almost regardless of wind direction.

With the new prop, max RPM is 5,600, and waterspeed hits 16mph regularly and can touch 17mph.

Numbers with no ballast, obviously, and a fairly loaded boat. Feels like an improvement.