26X forestay length

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

vulcan98
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

26X forestay length

Post by vulcan98 » Sat May 18, 2019 8:17 pm

My mast has always lean toward stern at about 98 degrees from deck mast mount. If I tension the upper shrouds to set tension in forestay I have a too much bend in mast. Set lowers ones to take bend in middle out then I have hard time pinning forestay. Thinking forestay maybe too long (currently at 27' from top loop to bottom of CDI furler)or am I missing something?
Thanks Derwin

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Re: 26X forestay length

Post by Tomfoolery » Sun May 19, 2019 9:00 am

vulcan98 wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 8:17 pm
. . . or am I missing something?
Maybe. Sounds like you’re adjusting the shrouds correctly, which will tension the forestay to where it’s difficult to pin. Make sure the back stay is loose (I use a turnbuckle to tension afterward), and crank down on the mast raising system (MRS) until you can pin the forestay. It’ll stretch the other rigging, but it’s wire rope, and that’s what it does - stretch. Elastically.

Others have rigged some extra help to pull on the forestay, but I can’t comment on that, as I just use the MRS to bring the mast forward enough to pin the forestay.

vulcan98
Deckhand

Re: 26X forestay length

Post by vulcan98 » Wed May 22, 2019 4:51 pm

Worked on it last few days and got it much better. My turn buckle would not tighten due to threaded ends bottoming out on frame support in middle. Cut threaded ends shorter, drilled holes back for cotter pins. Gained about 3/4" (or shortened head stay). Tightened lower stays then upper stays, back and forth. Never used back stay. I am at 94 degrees and head stay good and tight. Liked to have gotten 90 to 92 degrees but then I would need head stay shortened. Thanks tomfoolery for the reply.