New Cat equivalent to the Mac

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.
dlandersson
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

New Cat equivalent to the Mac

Post by dlandersson »

New Cat equivalent to the Mac - 28 feet. "Affordable" apparently = $250,000 8)

OverEasy
Admiral

Re: New Cat equivalent to the Mac

Post by OverEasy »

So one could take two Mac26X then fiberglass a 8 foot wide x 26 foot long platform…. Right?
Add a couple diagonal cables for stabilization and “Bob’s your Uncle” (as the Brits might say) one has a twin masted catamaran! Eh?

Now getting back to reality… :D :D
What an interesting catamaran and video!
Not a Mac26X but a nice vessel!
Thanks for sharing Diandersson!
pitchpolehobie
First Officer

Post by pitchpolehobie »

OverEasy wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:03 pm So one could take two Mac26X then fiberglass a 8 foot wide x 26 foot long platform…. Right?
Add a couple diagonal cables for stabilization and “Bob’s your Uncle” (as the Brits might say) one has a twin masted catamaran! Eh?

Now getting back to reality… :D :D
What an interesting catamaran and video!
Not a Mac26X but a nice vessel!
Thanks for sharing Diandersson!
Over easy do you have a spare 26X laying around that I could try this with? This is an awesome concept and looks like it has a lot of the same spartanesque features that the Mac series is well known for. I would hope its also structurally sound and seaworthy in the same way. If I was in Miami I'd like to see one of these in action. Any Fla Mac owners wanna go do a video??? I'd like to see the enclosed version too.
2002 MacGregor 26X: Remedium
Tohatsu 25HP
Cruising Area: Inland Ohio, Lake Erie
OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

8) :D 8) :D 8)
pitchpolehobie
First Officer

Post by pitchpolehobie »

Prices for base
2002 MacGregor 26X: Remedium
Tohatsu 25HP
Cruising Area: Inland Ohio, Lake Erie
Highlander
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

Must say the house model Enclosed is much more appealing for the NWP 8)

J :)
adudinsk
First Officer

Post by adudinsk »

They say its shipped in several parts... is it glassed together upon arrival? Or does it just snap/ bolt together?

AD
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

Perhaps they are assembled at the local IKEA? :)
adudinsk wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:23 am They say its shipped in several parts... is it glassed together upon arrival? Or does it just snap/ bolt together?

AD
OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

Would it be appropriate to tip the Amazon delivery driver for dropping the packages off on the front door?
OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

A bit of research 🧐 later and some poking and looking and pipe dream thinking it might actually be possible to make a Mac26XX Catamaran from an engineering basis. (Can’t say about Mac26MM Catamaran as I don’t have access to one to look at/evaluate the structure).

A set of three or four bridging frames could structurally span a six to eight connection between the two hulls to form an open salon like the catamaran in the original video.

There isn’t interesting option to keep the existing masts on each hull for a “side-by-side” sail plan.

While the image above isn’t exactly what the arrangement would look like it conveys the general concept. As has been said many times “There is nothing new under the sun” this is relatively unique yet it is a mast/sail plan that has been used on several good sailboat designs.

(Even going far back into history for Greek, Roman, Egyptian, Chinese (among others) naval architecture for catamarans.)

This approach could be rigged to be controlled from either hull cockpit or a center station.

If the bridging frame was designed as such it could still be possible to separate the three primary components so as to still retain the independent use of the port and starboard vessels.

Doing so would still allow for trailering of each vessel on its existing trailer and an option to transit the bridge assembly section(s) on top of either (or both) hull or on a separate trailer.

Just 🤔 thinking….

Best Regards,
Over Easy 😎😎🐩🐈
Be Free
Admiral

Post by Be Free »

Or you could just do it the way Roger did it 8)
Bill
2001 26X Simple Interest
Honda BF40D
"If I were in a hurry I would not have bought a sailboat." Me
OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

Yeah, one could do it like Rodger did….but each side only had a tight single berth inside the hull from what I recall reading.

The Mac26XX would actually allow one to have a dual galley, lounge, head, accommodations, cockpits, Engines and sail set! 8) 8)

It would add the center section for extra recreation space as well as the forward deck section for dolphin watching.

It would put the usable space on par with some pretty nice cruising catamarans for a fraction of the cost with some real performance improvement both while sailing or when motoring! :D :D

Twin sail sets and twin 50+hp engines!!!

Just thinking 🤔…..

Best Regards,
Over Easy 😎😎🐩🐈
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

OverEasy wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:44 pm Yeah, one could do it like Rodger did….but each side only had a tight single berth inside the hull from what I recall reading.

The Mac26XX would actually allow one to have a dual galley, lounge, head, accommodations, cockpits, Engines and sail set! 8) 8)

It would add the center section for extra recreation space as well as the forward deck section for dolphin watching.

It would put the usable space on par with some pretty nice cruising catamarans for a fraction of the cost with some real performance improvement both while sailing or when motoring! :D :D

Twin sail sets and twin 50+hp engines!!!

Just thinking 🤔…..

Best Regards,
Over Easy 😎😎🐩🐈
I think you have too much time on your hands. :D :D
Ray ~~_/)~~
OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

:o
Who me? :|
Naw….

:D :D :D :D
PSNA
Engineer
Sailboat: Other

Post by PSNA »

Looks like the boat started as a power cat and they decided to stick a mast on it and call it a sailboat.

The height of the boom from the cockpit floor is crazy.

Didn't watch all the video but it appears you can only get at the boom and mainsail from the forward deck.

Not exactly safe. Especially, if something goes wrong in a blow.