Tilt won’t tilt up.

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Ixneigh
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Tilt won’t tilt up.

Post by Ixneigh » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:34 am

Hey. The power tilt on the engine will now only go down. It has done this once in a while maybe twice a season but I could always get it to go back up by bumping the switch s a few times. Now, forget it. Neither console or cowling switch work and the cowling switch is new this year. I can’t move the boat since the motor is stuck in the down position. Any thought?

Ix

Hamin' X
Site Admin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Hermiston, OR-----------2001 26X DF-50 Suz---------------(Now Sold)

Re: Tilt won’t tilt up.

Post by Hamin' X » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:18 pm

Ixneigh
Admiral

Post by Ixneigh » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:20 am

That was the issue. Did some google research. Removed the part, cut if open to see if there was any water ingress evident. It appeared to be in good shape visually. I ordered a replacement from eBay.

Ix

yukonbob
Admiral
Sailboat: Other

Post by yukonbob » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:42 pm

Had the same problem, chances are its not the solenoid and more likely the tilt sensor/limit switch. On ours one of the wires had cracked and corrosion got in (the intermittent symptoms) then it finally just broke and would not move (this is over two seasons of progressively getting worse). I can't remember if ours would only raise or lower, but pretty sure it wouldn't raise. Look at the base where it rests into the transom mounted cradle, near the top there should be some sort of sensor with wires going to it. I want to say it was a $30 (cnd) part.

Ixneigh
Admiral

Post by Ixneigh » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:46 am

Tilt is now fixed. Part cost less than 50 on eBay. Time was about two hours. Repaired the ground on the tilt sensor. It has never worked and I didn’t know what it was. Maybe I’ll replace it next year but I’ve gone eight without it.

Ix