Adding a tiller

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

sailboatmike
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Adding a tiller

Post by sailboatmike » Wed May 17, 2017 4:30 pm

All countries have their little idiosyncratic laws, here is Australia we have some strange ones that make no rhyme or reason in todays society, in fact here in Austalian with our mere 6 states and 25 million people we cant even get agreement with basic things like bloating laws across the country, in some states you need to rego your boat only if the motor is above 6hp other states its 5Hp some ot maximum speed of 6 knts, in my state if we even have a 18lb trolling motor we have to rego the boat AND have a boat licence, in other states no licence is needed, go figure.

Anyway look up "Strange Laws" on youtube sometime, you will find in the USA the states or sometimes the counties have a huge number of stranger laws than we could ever imagine, obviously left overs from past times but still on the books so you could be charged with them if the authorities see fit.

Here are a couple of appetite wetters for you

You may not sell toothpaste and a toothbrush to the same customer on a Sunday (Rhode Island)

If you cut down a cactus, you could be sentenced to 25 years in prison (Arizona)

Policemen are allowed to bite a dog if they think it will calm the dog down (Paulding, Ohio)

It’s forbidden for a female to appear unshaven in public (Carrizozo, New Mexico)

And you think the rest of the world is strange ?????

BOAT
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by BOAT » Wed May 17, 2017 4:34 pm

sailboatmike wrote:
And you think the rest of the world is strange ?????
When it comes to boats? Yes.

sailboatmike
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by sailboatmike » Wed May 17, 2017 4:49 pm

I think over here in ny state of Victoria its more about raising money than keeping things safe.

i mean you have to get a boat licence to drive ANY boat that has a motor that COULD be used for propulsion, mind you the licence test is purely theory, so you dont actually have to know how to helm a boat or to of even seen or been on a boat, well thats unless you want to hire a boat then a 2 minute briefing from the boat hire allows you to use the boat without a licence, not sure how that actually makes anyone any safer.

DrV
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by DrV » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:36 am

Hi!
Just noticed that you're talking about the CE certificates, etc. I am sailing in Turkey, and now it is a rare chance to take the boat to Turkish flag (possible only once in 10+ years)! But the agent is asking me whether I have any CE certificate for my :macm: (2011). Boat bought from Istanbul distributor and container shipped from US. It is a LONG story, I have been almost arrested for fiddling with the custom rules done by :macm:'s official distributor! In other words, I don't want to talk to these people, EVER!

The agents wouldn't be checking any equipment, years, etc. Just need some paper to put in a file. Any chance to get some picture of CE-certification for any of :macm: ? Thanks!