tired of polishing the Coon stripes

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

NiceAft
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Re: tired of polishing the Coon stripes

Post by NiceAft » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:09 pm

EZ wrote:NiceAft,

Do you have any pictures of your painted stripes?
Sorry to take so long, but here they are.

As you can see, the boat is still in the driveway, and still in need of being washed. This may give an even better idea of the improvement.

Here you can see where I did not paint last year. I did not want to make the grooved area slippery.

Whipsyjac
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: White Rock, B.C. 96 26X Hull#486 96Merc ELPT 50HP 4 Stroke

Post by Whipsyjac » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:20 pm

Hi Ray,

If you don't want the hassle for posting a pic once in a while, just e-mail it to another member or a Mod and they'll post it for you. I've seen that done on many forums, especially if someone way up North(AK or Yukon) is still on dial-up.

If you'd like you can e-mail me a pic and I'll happily post it for you.

Nasty pop up ads pay the bills for websites like that allowing them to provide a free service. I'd rather not sit through a timeshare sales meeting for free ginsu knives and I'm thinking you wouldn't either. If you run into that again, even though its super annoying just ignore it instead of clicking on it(it's pretty tough to ignore though). I clicked the link and saw the page, then closed the tab in firefox(I never click on the ad itself).

Junk mail companies meet door to door salesmen Internet Style there!

I'd also like to see your White Sailboat. I keep going back to look at the All White :macx: "Vivante" There's something I really like about it....but there's something about an :macx: with the Big Black Stripe too.

REGARDING THE STRIPES:

I've been playing at waxing/polishing but haven't actually done the whole boat yet, just testing sections. This year's inaugural cruise was in 25kt winds with spray soaking the topsides for 2.5hrs. The salt stains on the 'coon stripe were horrible. I've been reading over and over about Eric experience with New Glass 2, especially the part about wet sanding. I read SteveK's posts about wet sanding too and gave it a try instead of just rubbing compound on sections of the black. 800 grit and the garden hose cuts the oxidation out like nobody's business, but drys dull. After reading that Steve K went to 2000 on one boat I got some 1200 and 2000 to follow up the 800. Looks black but dull. I've tested using rubbing compound after the different grits and they all look better than rubbing compound alone.

The section aft of the Starboard(head) window wet sanded to 2000 then Turtle wax liquid rubbing compound then 2 coats of Nu Finish is so black and shiny I want to quit my job so I can polish my boat back to brand new! Seriously though I will not be wet sanding my entire hull and topside 3 times then cutting then polishing repeatedly. What I have learned with a used truck and so far with my boat is the end result is only as good as the prep work. My plan is to wet sand with 800 then do the stripes to 2000, then use New Glass 2. I f I ever get it done I'll post some before and after pictures

The section from the head vent to the chain plate screws was also done the same way.

Willy
Last edited by Whipsyjac on Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:23 pm

I wonder what the boat would look like if the black raccoon stripes were not black, but mirror like chrome color? I mean mirror like those car windows that just look like a mirror when you look at them? That would not be a hot color would it?

I like the raccoon stripes - I would never get rid of them.

JamieJune
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by JamieJune » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:13 pm

raycarlson wrote:I'm with the aussie guy, heat transfer is the worst thing about those stripes. I went with some 100grit DA sander, then nice new white gelcoat. Left only the black on the side between each window set and that will probably go this winter.
I'm realize I'm very late to this thread but would really like to paint over the black 'coon' striping white as seen on the 'Vivante' boat. Can someone please provide a complete process to accomplish this? Thank you all in advance.

Ixneigh
Admiral

Post by Ixneigh » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:42 pm

I awlgripped mine. Even the bad paintjob looks much better than faded gelcoat.

Ix

1st Sail
Captain

Post by 1st Sail » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:16 pm

I still planning on giving this a shot. http://dolphinite.com/

You could either apply clear gelcoat or order black gelcoat. Not sure which would be the best choice. In any event somewhere between $80-$120 you could refinish so to speak. I spoke with their tech last month. For aerosol application the viscosity is rduced so it most likely will require multiple coats. Post life is approx 30min. depending on temps.

I'm building a new helm box to fit my Uflex Rotech rotary steering box and plan to test the product for the final finish.

Full report to follow.