EV-100 Auto Pilot Install

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

March
Captain

Re: EV-100 Auto Pilot Install

Post by March » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:29 pm

DrV.

I installed a Raymarine wheel autopilot 4 years back. It was the older model, with a mere B/W display (no depth or speed specs) that someone has kept in a garage without installing for years. Sorry, I can't recall the model, but the gyro compass looks different: kind of a half-ball, like the Ricthie compass sliced in two. The computer looks like the same rectangular flat box--have no idea what they changed inside

Installing it on the wheel was not a problem, once I removed the wheel. My fingers fit (snugly) between the Mac's wheel and the "donut." The only additional adjustment was a rod installed on the side (fashioned from a posh stainless steel drawer handle, from Menards...) that goes into the donut, in order to offer leverage. Snaking the wires between the fiberglass lining was another story that shall be passed now under silence.

The connections were pretty straightforward: power line into the computer (I added an off/on switch). Added some ferrite plums to avoid interference. NMEA 0183 connection into the Garmin. Dedicated outs from the computer into the gyro-compass. The cables were all color-coded, so it SEEMED a breeze....

Only after we launched the boat and calibrated the AP did we realize that something was terribly amiss. The boat wouldn't hold course. It would drift like a teenager under influence. We recalibrated the boat by the book several times. Checked the connections. Everything looked good. On a whim, I switched the color-coded cables that went into the gyro and hey! This time the teenager recovered his senses. The cables (or the manual) were erroneously color-coded!

After that, Ray became a permanent de facto member of each expedition. I understand Robert's frustration (see above) of not being able to control the waypoints, but the problem was not the AP, but my knowledge of the Garmin. The AP and the Garmin communicated just fine. As soon as I figured out how to program the garmin, everything went smoothly. You can string up a number of checkpoints that you determine on the map, mark with the cursor, and you're ready to go (the Garmin even kept them in memory from one year to the next!) When you get closer to the checkpoint, Ray starts making some bashful electronic noises, but when it hits the spot, the wheel turns and Ray continues on the new course.

But even telling Ray to "hold the course" like Robert does is most gratifying.

Sorry, I cannot post pics--the boat is under a tarp and 5 inches of snow.

BOAT
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by BOAT » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:07 pm

http://www.macgregorsailors.com/forum/v ... =8&t=25657

The link above shows pictures - the wheel pilot and the tiller pilot cost the same new - RM controls the price because of the multi axis sensor - it's an aeronautical sensor and they can't discount it so the lowest price you will ever see on one of these systems is about 11 hundred dollars - a thousand bucks for a really good pilot is a great price so that's not a bad deal. If you really want to go save a big bundle I recommend the less expensive tiller pilots that are all in one units.

Just get one of those units and mount it below decks like in the pictures.

Actually a wheel pilot is a lot more expensive to make and you get more stuff for the money with a wheel pilot but I just don't like them so that's just my personal preference - that's why I got a tiller pilot.

The only wheel pilot out there I ever saw that I would have is the one that Captain Victor invented but I don't thing he has any more of them to sell so that's probably not an option. That wheel pilot was the best for the money, but I think the EV-100 Tiller pilot is the best pilot for the money if you go for a tiller drive. Mine works flawlessly and takes orders from my chartplotter without fail. It never drops out and never goes off course. It's very easy to operate from anywhere on the boat.

DrV
Chief Steward

Post by DrV » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:11 am

March wrote:DrV.
But even telling Ray to "hold the course" like Robert does is most gratifying.

Sorry, I cannot post pics--the boat is under a tarp and 5 inches of snow.
Thank you very much, March!
Yes, that's what I want now - make it hold the course. I know myself, and later, of course I would want to make AP passage around some capes!

Besides initial installation, which I will be doing around June, I wonder is it possible to integrate the EV-100 with the Hummingbird (fish finder + navigation) that I have installed already. Any idea?

Anyway, I am going to have MORE questions when I start installing, because I have read multiple times: "Do NOT follow the Raymarine installation guide". :D

Obelix
Captain

Post by Obelix » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:34 am

Boat,
I think Capt. Victor is back to make progress on his system. He had emailed me, because he was replacing one of his earlier beta-systems and was asking if I wanted the older system.
I suggested to him in a recent email communication to make his drive-mechanism, that in my opinion is the best on the market, available as an upgrade for existing AP's.
Maybe, if a couple of interested members would suggest the same, this could be a great upgrade to our current systems?
Obelix

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:43 am

The wheel pilot that Ray Marine offers is un-acceptable to me because of the way they drive the wheel - it's bulky, noisy, interferes with helmsman, and is just plain ugly.

Captain Victor is the only one I know that has created an acceptable wheel drive unit for an auto pilot. If his wheel drive was compatible with other sensors I'm sure that everyone would rather have his drive than any other, but I don't think he was ever planning to sell only wheel drives so the whole thing is a hypothetical.

March
Captain

Post by March » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:08 pm

DrV wrote:
Besides initial installation, which I will be doing around June, I wonder is it possible to integrate the EV-100 with the Hummingbird (fish finder + navigation) that I have installed already. Any idea?
Don't know the Hummingbird unit. I can only say that the AP recognizes older Garmin (188C) and even a relatively newer one (before the EchoMap--can't remember the model), via 0183 NMEA connection. If your Hummingbird has such a connection (look at the wires that come from the GPS's pedestal; they should be color-coded and some might send NMEA signals. Check out the Hummingbird manual.) I would think it would. It's supposed to be a universal protocol, even though, as people have pointed out above, the connection might be tricky at times.

BOAT is right to point out that the Raymarine is relatively noisy, but that never bothered me. I chose a setting that is not all that sensitive to changes and the AP kicks in less often. As for its aesthetics, to each his own. I don't find it ugly or interfering with my steering, but that's just me (and my crew).

Victor's own autopilot is a different kettle of fish altogether. It's been privately produced and offered (in theory) to select members of this board,for testing purposes, and for a much lower price (around $500) The reports have been overwhelmingly positive. Then the project stalled, for whatever reasons. I have been waiting patiently for five years, but in the end I chose the Raymarine because the alternative would have been to wait for another undetermined length of time

DrV
Chief Steward

Post by DrV » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:35 pm

BOAT wrote:http://www.macgregorsailors.com/forum/v ... =8&t=25657

The link above shows pictures - the wheel pilot and the tiller pilot cost the same new
Thanks!!!
Now I can see. Good job! If it wouldn't cost 20000 dollars up, I guess it would make sense if you patent your inventions! (And I don't know whether I am only joking or not.) Of course, I'm sure you'd make it free for us the Macgregor Sailors here.
Serously, thanks for taking your time and posting all of that.

- RM controls the price because of the multi axis sensor - it's an aeronautical sensor and they can't discount it so the lowest price you will ever see on one of these systems is about 11 hundred dollars - a thousand bucks for a really good pilot is a great price so that's not a bad deal. If you really want to go save a big bundle I recommend the less expensive tiller pilots that are all in one units.

Just get one of those units and mount it below decks like in the pictures.

Actually a wheel pilot is a lot more expensive to make and you get more stuff for the money with a wheel pilot but I just don't like them so that's just my personal preference - that's why I got a tiller pilot.

The only wheel pilot out there I ever saw that I would have is the one that Captain Victor invented but I don't thing he has any more of them to sell so that's probably not an option. That wheel pilot was the best for the money, but I think the EV-100 Tiller pilot is the best pilot for the money if you go for a tiller drive. Mine works flawlessly and takes orders from my chartplotter without fail. It never drops out and never goes off course. It's very easy to operate from anywhere on the boat.
Thanks. Actually, if you check Amazon, there's special offer now (but ONLY for wheel version), of $999.00. That's what I grabbed now. Compare to $1478 for tiller pilot.

By the way... BEWARE!!! There are offers for $700 (new) and $400-$450 (second hand, like new, unboxed, sealed) Raymarine EV-100 on Amazon. DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME. Scam artists. I've checked. Every day they open new shop on Amazon "Just launched", ask you to send them E-mail before purchasing. Sometimes they are lazy even to change E-mails, they use Az.store@gmx.com

then you'll get one of two replies:

1. Rare one.
We are glad that you are interested in buying our product " Raymarine EV-100 p70 Wheel Pilot Pack". The price is $ 700 including shipping taxes. Delivery will be done in 2-3 working days. The product is brand new, sealed in original box and comes with all accessories and with 2 year warranty.
We will do this transaction through Amazon protection program, in this way we are both sure that we get what we want. We will register on Amazon as a purchaser of the product and Amazon will give you a payment invoice. You will pay the money on Amazon account, and they will keep the money until you receive the product and test it.
Then, only with your knowledge, Amazon will release-payment to us if the item is as you expected and you decide to keep it. If for any reason, you will refuse to buy the product, Amazon will refund you 100% and the item will be returned to us at our expense. (But it will certainly not be the case). If you agree and you want to buy this product, we need the following information:
- Your complete name:
- Delivery address correct:
- Telephone number:
We will reserve this item and you will receive shortly the order confirmation from Amazon.
We wait your prompt reply.
Regards,
Az Store
Or, more typical one:
The Raymarine EV-100 Wheel is BRAND NEW, never used, ( US model, not grey market or refurbished), but Amazon does not let us list it as new. The product is Sealed in its original box and comes with full Warranty, receipt, all manufacturer supplied accessories.
The total price is $410.00 including all shipping taxes if you are in US and for international shipping you have to pay extra 29,99 $ (outside US) .

If you want to buy, send us your phone number, full name, shipping address and we will contact Amazon asap to process your order. Dispatch is by normal UPS Services, which takes 1-3 days depending on where in the US you are.
Our return policy is full money back in 30 days.

For more information don't hesitate to contact us!
Best Regards,
B*stSh*p2000
With the second reply, be sure it is 120% scam. With the first one, around 110% :D , because they DO NOT need your name for you to purchase through Amazon. Besides, same shop with same offer of $700 was called "Josh B. Bridges Just Launched " two days ago, today it is called " Dorothy B. Vanhoose
Just Launched", both use same E-mail of Az.store@gmx.com .

Not claiming anything... Just beware.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:42 pm

Yes, I totally agree with March on this whole AP crap.

The RM wheel pilot is by far the best available and easiest to install pilot for the MAC because the MAC is a wheel boat, not a tiller boat! If you have a wheelhouse you should use a wheel pilot!

As I have said in numerous posts about my install, I personally can't stand having the "bagel" on my wheel and it is a personal thing that should not mean anything to anybody - if you don't care about such things then I can't think of a single reason to install a tiller pilot over a wheel pilot on a MAC. The tiller pilot is WAY harder to install and requires a lot of modifications to your boat like fiber glassing wooden blocks for mounting or drilling holes or creating any host of difficult gadgets that are required to do a tiller pilot.

There really is no GOOD reason to install a tiller pilot over a wheel pilot on the MAC - and I have said that over and over and over an over and over again here on this post yet I am amazed at how many people still decide to install a tiller pilot instead of a wheel pilot :o - oh well :( I'm sure we all have our reasons.

So just to make sure my 'political views' are cleared up, I am NOT a member of the 'TPP' ! :? - (the Tiller Pilot Party) and I have never voted for them!- I just play one on you-tube, so let me answer those other questions:

All your chartplotters with 0183 will send a sentence to any pilot that reads 0183 - not all sentences will be recognized, but most of the basic ones will work (like heading). The RM pilot might need a cable that works on your plotter if it's not a RM plotter or a SEATalk plotter. You run your pilot on a backbone, and somewhere on that backbone you put the cable. I run TWO backbones - A Ray Marine backbone, and a Garmin Backbone - they are only 13 inches apart from each other so I have a converter cable connecting the two backbones together thus making them one backbone. This allows all devices to talk in their native language quickly among themselves (Garmin to Garmin - Ray Marine to Ray Marine) yet allows non alike devises to interface no matter where they are on the back bone (Garmin to Ray Marine to Apple to Android to PC to WIFI to Bluetooth to whatever).

As for Victors pilot: that was the one I wanted because it is a wheelhouse pilot and it has NO BAGEL! The best of all worlds, but it's not in production so I can't buy one.

RobertB
Admiral

Post by RobertB » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:00 pm

I have the RM EV100 tiller AP and a Garmin chartplotter. While electrically they are compatible, I have never figured out how to get the EV100 to accept course correction inputs from the Garmin.

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:33 pm

RobertB wrote:I have the RM EV100 tiller AP and a Garmin chartplotter. While electrically they are compatible, I have never figured out how to get the EV100 to accept course correction inputs from the Garmin.
I have - it works really good too. You put in a way-point in the Garmin and then select the option to go to that destination under auto pilot.

It's really cool, a big yellow line will appear on your Garmin plotter showing the heading that the plotter is sending to the AP and the Ray Marine AP has a completely different screen that appears on the head when the Chart-plotter is driving the boat - it's a really cool picture that looks like a road passing underneath the boat with a destination point on the horizon and as you get closer to it the destination gets larger - it's pretty neat with the graphics and stuff. (I love those little cartoons). It also will show on that screen a turn it's anticipating up ahead and it will sound an alarm and ask for your permission to turn or tack to a new heading - the alarm sounds and a message will display on the remote dongle I hang around my neck - "MAKE TURN?" so you hit the yes button and the pilot will start the turn or tack to the new heading - it does that in case you need to reset the sails for the new heading.

If I had a self tending jib I would not need to even reset the sails to make a course change as long as I was only tacking port to starboard. You can also send tack commands thru the remote by just selecting TACK on the remote.

Obelix
Captain

Post by Obelix » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:11 pm

Boat,
I'm reading full of envy, how your chartplotter is communicating with the Raymarine backbone. :cry: :x
My Lowrance is connected to the RM via a NEMA2000 to RM cable, but they just don't talk to each other. :(
So, what's the secret Master?
Do I need additional components?

Merry Christmas and happy sailing in 2017 :)

Obelix

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:33 pm

Obelix wrote:Boat,
I'm reading full of envy, how your chartplotter is communicating with the Raymarine backbone. :cry: :x
My Lowrance is connected to the RM via a NEMA2000 to RM cable, but they just don't talk to each other. :(
So, what's the secret Master?
Do I need additional components?

Merry Christmas and happy sailing in 2017 :)

Obelix

I'm not real sure on Lowrance - the real expert on the sentences and who talks to who was mastreb - he would just wire up his own cables. I suspect if you wire up the cables in the right color sequence to the Ray Marine backbone it should work.

Obelix
Captain

Post by Obelix » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:19 pm

Boat, thanks for the reply.
I'm using an official RM adapter cable, so there should be no wiring issue.
Do you use NEMA2000 or NEMA0183 for the actual communication?

Obelix

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:31 pm

I'm pretty sure I use the 0183 because not all sentences are up to date and recognized - the 2000 sentences are almost the same but there are more of them and they have more stuff they can do than the 0183 - like my AP has a JOG function and manual steer function when used with the 2000 heads and plotters but my remote only recognizes JOG. It should work either way, but just with not as many features you can control.

Estate Sail
Deckhand

Post by Estate Sail » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:04 pm

My winter project is to install an EV-100 tiller pilot below deck similar to the Boat installation (much thanks Boat). After spending several hours trying to get some guidance from ray marine and not getting through, I thought someone here could answer a relatively simple question. The tiller drive (non clutch model) is connected to the central computer unit using two wires a red power wire and black ground. As I look at the wire and plug from the drive the two wires are blue and brown. Which one is power and which is ground??? Thanks for any help. Roger