More storage space on a 26S?

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

My Mistress
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

More storage space on a 26S?

Post by My Mistress » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:37 am

I was looking at the rear berth on my 1990 26S, and noticed that the hull liner drops down ~12 inches in the aft ceiling. This looks like it could be accessible by opening the cockpit seats for additional storage. Has anyone else had this idea or actually opened the area up from the cockpit?

Presumption: this area has flotation foam in it.
Presumption 2: I won't sink

Stevenhigbee
Engineer

Re: More storage space on a 26S?

Post by Stevenhigbee » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:33 am

Yes, it's flotation foam. I plan to convert it to storage as well. Personally, if the boat sinks, I would just as well have it sink to the bottom so it doesn't sit on the surface continuing to humiliate me, as well as posing a navigation hazard.

taime1
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by taime1 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:31 pm

You may want to consider to make the access from the inside instead. Unless you find the lazarette isn't sufficient exterior storage for you. you may even be able to do both an interior and exterior access.

I think the area over the v-birth is the same, a void filled with foam. I haven't gotten to it yet, but the PO on my boat did make a bit of an anchor locker there, just large enough to store some anchor line, not an anchor.

My Mistress
Chief Steward

Post by My Mistress » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:17 am

taime1 wrote:You may want to consider to make the access from the inside instead. Unless you find the lazarette isn't sufficient exterior storage for you. you may even be able to do both an interior and exterior access.

I think the area over the v-birth is the same, a void filled with foam. I haven't gotten to it yet, but the PO on my boat did make a bit of an anchor locker there, just large enough to store some anchor line, not an anchor.
I don't think I would be able to access the area from the inside. I'm a bit too large. 8)
My laz stinks of oil and gas, There's only so much that I'd stick in there.
The area over the V-berth is quite small. I don't think I'd consider opening it. If it were larger, that would be an option.

vizwhiz
Admiral

Post by vizwhiz » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:53 pm

This is correct - flotation foam in both locations.

Someone did an access door/hatch mod from the cockpit, putting hatch style doors where your calves touch in the cockpit. He used an insert of sorts for the locker space (not just an open hole). I think this is akin to where the fuel lockers are on the X/M boats. Matter of fact, this may have been an upgrade mod for fuel lockers to seal them off from the cabin.

I don't recall anyone doing this mod from the inside, presumably due to the limited space to move around. But people have been mod'ing these boats a lot longer than i've been here.

I'm not sure I agree with the logic behind removing the flotation foam. I recognize that many boats out there do not have it and will sink quickly...but i'd rather sit on a capsized hull waiting for help than be left floating and hoping to be found. Just my $.02