Steering

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
ASP1978

Steering

Post by ASP1978 »

Hi everybody
My name is Alex and I just bought me a MacGregor 26M
The engine was removed as well as the controls and all the steering system.
Since the company has been retired, I was wondering if someone have a diagram of the steering and what parts to use.

I am going to use a Mercury 25 until I find a Honda 50

On a second note...
I have read that the steering is a little hard on this boats so I was wondering if it is a good idea to use a dual mechanism and dual wiring (one for the rudders and one for the motor)
I found this online -
https://www.starmarinedepot.com/uflex-t ... Z4QAvD_BwE

Any comment will be deeply appreciated
ASP1978

Re: Stearing

Post by ASP1978 »

A little correction
It is a 2000 26X not a 26M
Herschel
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Herschel »

I have a '98 26X, and I replaced the original 50 h.p. Merc with a 50 h.p. Yamaha four years ago. Throughout the 14 years I have owned the boat, the steering has been connected to the rudders. I have not found there to be a problem. When maneuvering close to a dock or cruising at low speeds, most of us on the forum use the rudders with the engine. I would think a dual system, if I understand what that is, would not be necessary. My sense is that the newer 50 h.p. engines are very light and do not create steering problems.
ASP1978

Post by ASP1978 »

Oh that's good to know :)
Thank you
Cougar
Engineer

Post by Cougar »

Welcome to the family, Alex!
You can obtain all the necessary parts for the steering system at Blue Water Yachts in Seattle, including their Quick Disconnect System.
Have a look at http://www.bwyachts.com/
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

Herschel wrote:My sense is that the newer 50 h.p. engines are very light and do not create steering problems.
Also keep in mind that outboards typically have a friction adjustment, for intentionally adding friction to the steering. That, presumably, is used mainly for tiller steering, not for remote steering. So on the powersailors like the :macm: and :macx: boats, you'd want the friction adjustment backed off completely, to minimize steering friction.

I personally like the feel of the steering on the :macx: with the engine disconnected, including when motoring at less than hull speeds (though docking is much easier with it connected). Being wheel steering, it doesn't have the feedback a tiller has, but the light wheel effort is certainly nice. And since the OP is missing steering components, presumably the link to the engine would need to be sourced anyway, so why not get the BWY quick-disconnect system, which includes it? :wink:
Bilgemaster
First Officer
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia--"Breakin' Wind" 2001 26X, Honda BF50A 50hp engine

Post by Bilgemaster »

Welcome aboard Alex! Some pictures of your new 26X might be helpful to those able to advise you. Tinypic.com is a simple hassle-free way to get them online so that you can link to them here on these forums.

Your main source for MacGregor parts nowadays are the good folks at Blue Water Yachts in Washington State. They'll have most everything you'll need, though it sounds to me like you might also do well to reach out to a few salvage yards if you hope to keep costs down. Things like a brand new helm pedestal with all the trimmings won't come cheap, if that's what we're talking about too. Like I said pix will help.

Where are you located? You might want to add that info to your profile, since I imagine sooner or later you'll want to get a good look at a nearby working 26X for reference sake, and you're far likelier to be invited to do so if one knows where you are. My 26X is in Woodbridge, Virginia, and you're welcome to come around most any weekend for a gander, assuming you're even remotely nearby (which is an odd expression, isn't it?..."remotely nearby").
Last edited by Bilgemaster on Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C Buchs
Captain

Post by C Buchs »

My :macx: is a 2001 with a Honda 50. I'm located in Southwest Washington near Portland, OR. If you (or anyone else) need something, all are welcome to come check mine out. Just send me a PM.

Jeff
ris
Captain

Post by ris »

Welcome. Yes let us know your location. Not sure if your boat has a steering wheel or is it just missing the steering unit and cables. I used a rotary steering unit on our boat. It works great and is easy to install. You should consider yourself lucky you didn't end up with one of those blue Macs. :D
ASP1978

Post by ASP1978 »

Oh thank you everybody
I feel so welcomed, thank you.

I live in Baldwin Long Island, New York
What's missing from the steering is the rack system and all the cabling and everything that goes with it up to the link that connects the two rudders.
The link I do have.

Thank you again for everything
npsrangerchuck
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by npsrangerchuck »

others have posted the link for Bluewater Yachts- that's your first go-to supplier, with all the expertise and all the parts you need. Be sure to include the quick disconnect for the steering linkage- when you're sailing, motor tilted up, you'll experience feather-light steering with the motor disconnected from the linkage. Best mod I ever did.
ASP1978

Post by ASP1978 »

Thank you everybody

I think I have spotted all the parts I will need from Blue water yachts
It looks pretty simple.
In the next month I will try to have it installed (getting married on Nov so it has to wait lol)

Ordered a bilge pump as well so I can clean up inside with a power washer.
It looks like the water does not collect in one spot but there are different spots where water builds up.
The bathroom does not have a hole for the water to drain and it kinda make sense because nobody wants water from the bathroom to go under the bed but what if you want to take a shower there.

lol more questions come up every time I look at the boat
HuzurPapa

Re: Steering

Post by HuzurPapa »

My two cents... buy the steering quick connect adapter from Blue Water Yachts. It allows you to quickly switch from having the outboard moving in conjuction with the rudders or stationary in a straight back position. Unless I need to maneuver in tight quarters I leave the motor detached from the rudders. You can still turn the boat, it just takes a bit more speed and space. When you need to, you can connect them in 15 seconds. A major drawback to the original equipment design is that it takes a couple minutes to attach and detach the motor from the rudders and if you leave it attached when you raise it out of the water the steering becomes a bit cumbersome. You can't take your hand off the wheel for even a second or it will flop to one side due to the weight of the motor. I think I only attached the motor to the rudders twice during the last sailing season. A whole lot less work.
Nauti Nell
Engineer

Re: Steering

Post by Nauti Nell »

Go for the quick disconnect. One of the best mods I have installed.......in my Blue hulled :macm: .