Honda 2 kicker motor

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
Ixneigh
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Honda 2 kicker motor

Post by Ixneigh »

I got a deal on a nearly new (less then 20 hours) Honda dinghy motor. Its hard to start when cold but once running it seems ok but loud.i bought from a guy who bought it off Craigslist. So I don't know it's history but it should make a fair emergency kicker. I'm looking for storage ideas. Also has anyone figured a way of using the swim ladder to mount a small engine like this?

Ix
Herschel
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Honda 2 kicker motor

Post by Herschel »

I have a Honda 4-stroke 2 h.p. engine. Pre 2006 from what I can tell. It runs beautifully, if run regularly. I crank mine up every three weeks for about 10-15 minutes. So far, I use it only on my dinghies. My thinking about it being an auxiliary for the 26X is that it would work best if the dinghy is brought into play and tied alongside. The little engine is light enough to put just about anywhere, but when you crank up the RPM's it has a very strong push. I recommend consider making sure it is affixed to something very sturdy like the transom of a dinghy.
whgoffrn
Captain

Post by whgoffrn »

I store mine on the sink in the head or on the dinghy itself Most of the time because I just don't use that sink however I've also struggled with finding a better place .... I'm thinking a board bolted between the rear rails and sticks out another foot or so on either side
Ixneigh
Admiral

Post by Ixneigh »

That motor looks just like mine

I would think the swim ladder would be strong enough. I'll have to do some preliminary measuring.
I also want to know if I could run this instead of the main engine on calm days when I want to go slow. Would it save gas?
Ix
Herschel
Admiral

Post by Herschel »

Ixneigh wrote:That motor looks just like mine

I would think the swim ladder would be strong enough. I'll have to do some preliminary measuring.
I also want to know if I could run this instead of the main engine on calm days when I want to go slow. Would it save gas?
Ix
I think that would be overthinking the fuel economy issue. I we were talking about gas guzzling, huge engines, perhaps. But our 50-70 h.p. engines are pretty economical at slow speeds especially without ballast. I have a motor mount for my dinghy engine that is attached to the stern, but I just store the Honda engine there when the dinghy is collapsed and stowed below. I don't try to use it as an auxiliary. I use my sails as backup in case of main engine failure. If that is not practical, then it is anchor and with for BoatUS tow service. :)
sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike »

My 75Hp 2 stroke gets between between 1/2 and 1 gallon per hour at chugging speed, the fuel saving at those speeds in minimal, I would think the 75Hp would be roughly double the 2Hp fuel usage, lets remember the 75Hp is not far above idle swinging the big prop, the 2Hp would be screaming its head off to push along at the same speed
kadet
Admiral
Location: Brisbane, Australia. 2008M "Wicked Wave" Yamaha T60

Post by kadet »

I use my sails as backup in case of main engine failure.
I use my motor as back-up to wind failure 8)
Ixneigh
Admiral

Post by Ixneigh »

My use of the boat dictates that I have a backup engine capable of moving the boat through creeks and channels. Those can't always be sailed through. Any repair to my main engine will likely cost hundreds. It might be a few weeks before I can get around to taking it in and I may be off somewhere anyway.

Ix