Simplest way to make stiffer a stock steering on a 26X ?

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Alexis
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Simplest way to make stiffer a stock steering on a 26X ?

Post by Alexis » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:01 am

Hello,

I have noticed a few posts, or other blogs over the internet (like this one: http://www.nobodyinlondon.com/ironengin ... ering.html) which propose what looks like to be as many complete re-engineering of the 26X steering mechanism. My old sailboat would certainly need a tune-up in this area because its steering is neither stiff or precise, though I just don't have the time to re-engineer the whole thing, and I can't weld parts like in many of these proposed solutions... The marina is 1 hour away from where I live and there is no decent hardware store at at least 30' around.

So, I am wondering what are the minimum minimorum things I should consider that are still easily doable in these conditions:

- I was thinking about adding a sleeve above all the threads in the steering contraption (the "Restless" site link above shows a nice picture of a such a device). What are these sleeves made of? Is it something that can be purchased in a hardware store?

- ... what should I consider next?