Leak in stern storage area

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
cbenslay
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Leak in stern storage area

Post by cbenslay »

While packing up the boat yesterday I found the source of a leak in our stern storage area. We know we have one under the helm station and it appears to be water running down the control cables. However, I discovered the source of a much larger leak. A picture is better then me trying to describe the location, but I've never posted one before. Hopefully, it is here:

I made the crack a little larger while poking around on it, but it has been leaking for awhile. I looked up top in the well by the engine and there was some standing water in it. Now, my wife had been cleaning the boat so that water hadn't been there long. The drain doesn't work very well though! I did what I could to clean it out and the water runs a little better.

I did not see a crack in the well up above. Somehow that water is getting between the two layers of the boat and leaking down below. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Chuck
2001 26X
Stewardship
(formerly known as Laika here)
jacobag

Re: Leak in stern storage area

Post by jacobag »

I have a 1999 :macx: with the same issue, a light crack along with some hairline cracks. I also noticed a leak on the backside towards the aft section, has anyone seen this what is the best fix.
C Buchs
Captain

Re: Leak in stern storage area

Post by C Buchs »

There are two layers in most sections of our boats. There's the outside (the hull and deck) and the inside liner. I think that crack in on the inside liner, not through to the outside. The water that's leaking in around your helm (and/or somewhere else), could be getting onto the liner and then running around till it finds that crack. I don't have a crack like that, but I think I have water leaking in around my helm also. When I put the cockpit surround on, I get less water in the back.

Jeff