Where you have the fresh water fill in?

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
kurz
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Where you have the fresh water fill in?

Post by kurz »

Hello
Maybe I will renew the fresh water system.
Actually I have a tube that I giv out to fill. It fits quite well and nobody will fill in somewhat that I dont want.

But maybe it will be easyer to handle a fix configuration. Where did you put the fill in oudside?

Thanks - kurz
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Re: Where you have the fresh water fill in?

Post by NiceAft »

I have a 113.5 liter bladder under the V bunk. The fill hole is in the anchor locker of my :macm: .

Ray
ris
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by ris »

We put our emergency 5 gal water jug on the dock fill it and then we have a 20 ft suction hose that will reach off the boat that goes to the pump then to our 30 gal plastimo water bag. You can even pump water out of the jug as you are filling it with the hose. You know the water bag is full when the water flows out of the overflow line that we put in the sink which runs out the top of the water bag. If you look under mods at "water systems" you will see the manifold that we made to both put water in the water bag and pump it out of the bag to the sinks. Our water bag is in the front compartment under the v-berth.
Neo
Admiral

Post by Neo »

NiceAft wrote:I have a 113.5 liter bladder under the V bunk. The fill hole is in the anchor locker of my :macm: .
Ray
Now that's clever .... You've given me the idea of having two water bags in the Bow lockers, one bag each side, against the sides of the hull. That way they'll add some ballast in the bow lockers... as BOAT keeps telling us it's the best place to have extra weight. :)
Brian
Engineer
Location: Austin, TX 2006 26M "Soñador" white hull MACM0852G506 TLDI 90

Post by Brian »

Here is where I put the deck fill on my M:

Here is the complete mod: http://www.macgregorsailors.com/modt/in ... ?view=1166
Azzarac
First Officer
Location: "Chameleon" in the Middle of the Mid-West w/Honda BF50

Post by Azzarac »

I love our system. Two tanks for a 35 gallon combined system filled from a single flush deck mount plus infinite non-potable water supply:
http://svchameleon.weebly.com/pressuriz ... stems.html
Wayne nicol
Captain
Location: Queen CHarlotte Islands,B.C.---------------- lightning white 2012 26M "Merrylegs"

Post by Wayne nicol »

i have a 7 gal saltwater tank for the head, and i thibnk the fresh water is 16 gallons- they are both under the v berth.
both flush mount deck fills are just forward of the head skylight on the stbd side- one is labelled fresh , the other waste.
for filling the tanks - (the salt water tank- i have a 2 gallon bucket on a line) the tanks need to have a vent- so i have two 3/8" vent lines in the head- that i just open the valve- and aim into the head- so no water splashes everywhere

also 2 taps at the sink, one fresh and one salt- and i can also drain both tanks out through the aft drain lines- have stopcocks at the tanks
Cougar
Engineer

Post by Cougar »

Like many others, I have a flexible tank fitted under the V-berth, filled from the anchor locker. Not ideal, but it was fitted that way when I got the boat.
Neo
Admiral

Post by Neo »

Cougar wrote:Like many others, I have a flexible tank fitted under the V-berth, filled from the anchor locker. Not ideal, but it was fitted that way when I got the boat.
From what I've read the more weight in the bow the better a :macm: sails .... Can anyone confirm that?
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

Not just saile, but motors also.

I have experimented with weight distribution on the boat. When I had someone go foreword on the deck, the speed increased.

Ray
Neo
Admiral

Post by Neo »

Now that's interesting NiceAft. Especially with just the weight of one person... Did you notice any difference in how she tracked too?... By default does the water line/stripe on your Mac run parallel with the water?
NiceAft
Admiral

Post by NiceAft »

Think about it. The boat is 7.9 meters long. As one person moves forward., there is great leverage exerted. Was it Archimedes who said “give me a fulcrum and lever large enough, and I could move the world.”

I don’t remember about the water line, and I wasn’t thinking about tracking when I was experimenting. My wife was at the helm, and she called out the S.O.G. read out on my Garmin as I went forward while on the deck.

Ray
Neo
Admiral

Post by Neo »

Thanks Ray.... Just added Water tanks in the bow lockers to my "Must Have" list ;-)
tlgibson97
First Officer

Post by tlgibson97 »

I have a flexible tank under the v-berth also. The fill port is on the deck forward of the anchor locker. That allowed me to run the hose down through the tip of the v-berth where it is out of the way. The fill port isn't in the best location to get to if you are filling from a dock but it isn't too bad. I typically fill from the driveway anyways.
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

My X has the fill port cut right into the cabin wall on the port side, with a fat, ugly hose bending down and into the galley area, along with a vent hose. The beefy plastic 7 gallon tank is under the port side seat, up against the galley.

My Hunter keel boat had the tank under the vee berth, and the fill in the anchor locker. A very sensible arrangement.

I can't understand why the PO would have thought that hideous fill hose inside the cabin was a good idea. Nor why he didn't think of putting it under the vee berth where the hose could be hidden and the forward weight would help, rather than contribute to the listing to port it does normally. And since it's got a pressure pump, it really doesn't matter where the tank is. :|

Forgive the mess in the first pic - I was in the process of ripping out and cleaning up the electrical mess from the factory and the PO.