Where you have the fresh water fill in?

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.

Moderators: Hamin' X, kmclemore, Paul S, beene, Catigale

Cougar
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Where you have the fresh water fill in?

Post by Cougar » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:03 am

Neo wrote:
Cougar wrote:Like many others, I have a flexible tank fitted under the V-berth, filled from the anchor locker. Not ideal, but it was fitted that way when I got the boat.
From what I've read the more weight in the bow the better a :macm: sails .... Can anyone confirm that?
From my experience, that might be true. Not only do I have the water tank up front, I also have a relatively lightweight outboard, being a 15 HP Yamaha. And my :macx: sails really well.

nedmiller
First Officer

Post by nedmiller » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:14 am

I’ve always felt like the bow was a good place to store water, making it heavier, and a bit better sailing performance. I have a fill on the bow next to the anchor locker.. It is routed to a 10 gallon rectangular plastic tank, but not flexible. I like having a non flexible tanks in places where I removed foam. That way, when we are on a short trip and the tank is not filled, or as water is used, the tank goes from neutral to positively buoyant and makes up for a bit of the missing foam. You do have to vent the tank. From that tank, water flows into a platismo bag under the floor that is under the table. (although this bag gave me a bit more water in a space that otherwise useless, I wouldn’t do that again!).

I also purchased two 6 gallon portable water tanks from Walmart. These are the blue ones still available now in the camping section.They fit perfectly through the bench seat opening forward of the table, then stood on their sides, as far forward as possible in a place that otherwise is so hard to get to that it’s pretty much useless, but does not contain foam. They are often left empty and provide -90# of buoyancy. On a longer cruise they are filled before leaving and then used to refill the main tanks if needed. They can be carried up to a cabin or park water source in areas where marinas are scarce, used to refill main tanks and refilled and stored, giving us 24 gallons of water to continue the cruise.

Neo
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Neo » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:10 pm

Many thanks for your thoughts on this guys. The hull shapes are very different :macx: to :macm: so it would be great to hear from more :macm: sailors that's evaluated this too? :)

Baha
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Baha » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:21 am

I am changing and simplifying my setup this year. My water use is minimal, so I am taking out the rigid tank that the PO mysteriously put under the stove in the galley, reclaiming that space for much needed storage. I am then planning to use the portable water cans that some have mentioned. I think they will be much easier to clean, easier to fill, and will still work in my situation.

Don T
Admiral
Location: 95 2600 "SS OTTER" - Portland OR - Tohatsu 50 - Hull#64 (May 95)

Post by Don T » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:33 pm

Hello,
My water tank is under the aft dinette seat. I put the fill right in the seat corner aft midships.
My Mod:
http://www.macgregorsailors.com/modt/index.php?view=230