Aft storage, 20 drawers, 10 cubbies, $120

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Stevenhigbee
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Aft storage, 20 drawers, 10 cubbies, $120

Post by Stevenhigbee » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:03 pm

I found that the Sterilite 3-drawer sets fit perfectly snug with a bit of trimming. I screwed sets together, but made no attachment to the boat itself. I left out the bottom drawers to use the space as cubby holes, The top drawer of the rear three units on each side I cut down the front enough to be able to reach in without pulling the drawer out. I still need to figure out some sort of catch to keep them from sliding open while heeled. These drawer sets are available from a number of big box stores.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-3- ... /479718793

Bilgemaster
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia--"Breakin' Wind" 2001 26X, Honda BF50A 50hp engine

Re: Aft storage, 20 drawers, 10 cubbies, $120

Post by Bilgemaster » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:28 pm

That's a fine idea. One suggestion to make those rearward ones more easily accessible, poached from Robert F. Burgess' superb Handbook of Trailer Sailing, might be to attach a line to the rearmost ("aftmost"?) bottom crosspiece of those Sterilites and lead that line forward. That way, you could just pull the whole train forward, removing the front ones as they proceed.

By the way, Burgess' book is chock full of such useful tips for cruising in a small boat. Based on his long experience making the most of it with a tiny Com-Pac 16 (like my own "Foundling"), which is sort of like a floating pup tent, much will still be useful for us Mac sailors, spoiled as we are with headroom, or for that matter a head. And, it's just a good read besides...just a sharp old buddy sharing some simple super-useful tips you're surprised you hadn't already thought of...a bit like this Forum.

Stevenhigbee
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Re: Aft storage, 20 drawers, 10 cubbies, $120

Post by Stevenhigbee » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:30 pm

The whole interior of Mac classics is essentially a crawl-space to begin with, so sliding back along the smooth fiberglass isn't an issue. Obviously, lesser used items should go further back than commonly used items.