Engine tilt motor successfully replaced

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Post Reply
User avatar
opie
Captain
Posts: 669
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:40 am
Location: Wilmington NC, BF50A Honda, 1999 MacX, "Marin"

Engine tilt motor successfully replaced

Post by opie » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:57 pm

I successfully replaced my tilt motor. It failed after 19 yrs. The culprit was not the rust but one of the power leads broke off right as it enters motor.
Some struggle to get it off, but YouTube helped.
eBay replacement motor by romaineelectric was $49 including shipping.
Attachment screws had to be cut off and drilled out. Instead of tapping threads I just used smaller diameter s.s. bolts and nylock nuts since torque needed was only 6#. I used RTV gasket stuff as well on new o-ring.
Works great.

Image
Image

User avatar
Tomfoolery
Admiral
Posts: 5198
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:42 am
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Rochester, NY '99X BF50 'Tomfoolery'

Re: Engine tilt motor successfully replaced

Post by Tomfoolery » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:37 pm

Well done. And that motor info now resides in my file, just in case. :)

Post Reply