Garmin GPSMAP or ECHOMAP

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

C Buchs
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Garmin GPSMAP or ECHOMAP

Post by C Buchs » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:30 am

I'm pretty sure all the instruments on my 2002 :macx: were added when it was new. So I'm looking to upgrade. Starting with a new GPS unit. I then want to add a wind instrument to the top of the mast, autopilot (probably this: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=22520&hilit=autopilot+26m), and upgrade the radar. Yes, I have radar, but I've never really used it.

I'm looking at Garmin units. The two I'm looking at are the ECHOMAP™ Plus 64cv that I can currently get for $399.88 or the GPSMAP 722xs that I can currently get for $899.99. The cheaper unit comes with the transducer. I have to get a transducer in addition to the extra $500 for the expensive one. I can swing the extra cash if it's worth it, but it's a big difference. Does anyone have experience with either model that they can share?

Thanks in Advance...Jeff

Seapup
Captain

Re: Garmin GPSMAP or ECHOMAP

Post by Seapup » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:21 am

Both have NMEA 2000 so should do what you want. I would email or live chat garmin to ask about the specific radar and wind transducer you want to hook up.

Largest difference I see would be if you want touchscreen or buttons. I kinda like the buttons when bouncing around, others like touchscreen.

If you want auto guidance you will need to purchase the vision maps, otherwise it will just draw a straight line when you pick a destination.