Mac 26X front window replacement

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Andysigrist
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Mac 26X front window replacement

Post by Andysigrist » Sun May 12, 2019 9:13 pm

We purchased replacement windows from Blue Water Yachts for our MacGregor 26X. They came with installation instructions that specified to install the new windows with lots of black silicone. While we installed the windows as per instructions, working with silicone was messy and we still had leaks afterwards.

In the end we found a better, simpler and cleaner way to install them is with Butyl tape from an RV store. We laid a 1" wide strip of butyl tape on the window flange, then placed the window on top of the butyl tape and installed the screws (not tight, just snug). No leaks, no mess, and the ability to remove the windows relatively easy again if and when needed.

kmclemore
Site Admin
Location: Ambler, PA -- MACX2018A898 w/ Tohatsu 50D -- 78 BW Harpoon 4.6 -- 2018 Tahoe 550TF w/ 150 Merc

Re: Mac 26X front window replacement

Post by kmclemore » Sun May 12, 2019 10:42 pm

Yes, I'd imagine that would work quite well. That's what we used to use at Lotus Cars to install windscreens, which in that car were a structural element as well.

macowneril2015
Chief Steward
Location: Downtown Chicago, 2001 26X, 2001 50 Hp Nissan (NS50D2)

Re: Mac 26X front window replacement

Post by macowneril2015 » Mon May 13, 2019 9:58 am

Andysigrist wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 9:13 pm
We purchased replacement windows from Blue Water Yachts for our MacGregor 26X. They came with installation instructions that specified to install the new windows with lots of black silicone. While we installed the windows as per instructions, working with silicone was messy and we still had leaks afterwards.

In the end we found a better, simpler and cleaner way to install them is with Butyl tape from an RV store. We laid a 1" wide strip of butyl tape on the window flange, then placed the window on top of the butyl tape and installed the screws (not tight, just snug). No leaks, no mess, and the ability to remove the windows relatively easy again if and when needed.
I just discovered that same problem but I am going to just seal around the edge with a bead of silicone but I wish i thought of this the other weekend would have saved a lot of headaches.