Fishing for Suggestions

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Capt Smitty
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Fishing for Suggestions

Post by Capt Smitty » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:05 pm

Greetings mates
I raised my mast towing cradles by adding a roller to my new arch at the stern, and a jury-rigged extension on the bow pulpit. Now, when in mast-down trawler mode, I have extra headroom. Enough to raise the Bimini, and not bump my head. When on its trailer, maximum height is a couple inches less because I raised the front more than the rear. The new pulpit mount is 12 inches higher and 8 inches further forward. When towing I put the original mast support in place on the steering pedestal, and a support at the mast base mount, 4 points I tie the mast to. As you can see in the close-up, the extension is Mickey Mouse, ugly, and probably not safe. (Tho this has been working well for 3 years) I want to make this pretty, like the pulpit, and stronger. Without removing the pulpit, or welding to it. Any ideas?

Banner_IV
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Fishing for Suggestions

Post by Banner_IV » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:15 pm

Create a mini Arch and clamp it to the upright posts of the pulpit you could prototype it out of 3/4 or 1 inch electrical conduit easy enough to bend. The galvanized electrical conduit could also be painted after wiping down with white vinegar. That's would make an awesome granny bar to do the Titanic thing on the bow while no one's looking of course.

Ask a silly question get a silly answer :D