Pulling a tube

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.

Moderators: beene, Hamin' X, tangentair, kmclemore, Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod

bobflshmn
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Pulling a tube

Post by bobflshmn » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:19 am

This summer I will be pulling the grandkids around on a tow tube. I only have a 25hp on my X so we aren't talking about wiping around the bay, but hey they will be wet and happy!
For those who have done the same, how have you attached the tow rope to the aft end for pulling?

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Re: Pulling a tube

Post by Tomfoolery » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:31 am

I have a bridle attached to the two cleats on the rail. Dock line cleats, not the rudder cleats. I also put a small single-sheave block on that bridle, so it can roll along the bridle when turning. Makes the effective center of the tow line attachment much further inboard, which means the boat can make tighter turns. Otherwise, the tow line is trying to straighten the boat, regardless of what the OB is trying to do, especially when trying to tow a wakeboard and rider while still deep in the water, which happens a lot when the wind is up and it's pushing the bow of the boat in a direction I don't want to start off in.

bobflshmn
First Officer

Post by bobflshmn » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:01 pm

Great.
I had forgot about the cleats as an option. I already have a bridle with a block for skiing for just that reason. Hit the end of the summer clearance table last year!
Thanks

dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:07 am

Ditto, I use the rear cleats. 8)
Tomfoolery wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:31 am
I have a bridle attached to the two cleats on the rail. Dock line cleats, not the rudder cleats. I also put a small single-sheave block on that bridle, so it can roll along the bridle when turning. Makes the effective center of the tow line attachment much further inboard, which means the boat can make tighter turns. Otherwise, the tow line is trying to straighten the boat, regardless of what the OB is trying to do, especially when trying to tow a wakeboard and rider while still deep in the water, which happens a lot when the wind is up and it's pushing the bow of the boat in a direction I don't want to start off in.