bilge pump 26x

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

uncle trev
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

bilge pump 26x

Post by uncle trev » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:50 am

looking for some advise on fitting a rule mate 1100 12vlt bilge pump to my 26X uncle trev

Jimmyt
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: bilge pump 26x

Post by Jimmyt » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:27 pm

Be sure to route your discharge such that it doesn't have any low points in it. Discharge location should be well above heeled waterline, or expected impact from following seas.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cweD5wJ6nh8

Put it where you can service it. On my M, I put it in the aft center between the two ballast tubes that run fore/aft. I figure the most likely leak is the factory plastic thru hull for my sink drain - which will wind up in that area quickly. Leaks from other parts of the boat will take longer to find way to the pump. Location of one pump will be a compromise.
Last edited by Jimmyt on Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

mac n cheese
Chief Steward

Post by mac n cheese » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:34 pm

With so many bulkheads and hull sections how does one determine the installation of a 'fixed' bilge pump? :|
I wired mine in order to move it anywhere in the boat with extended wire and alligator clips so that it
can be used in auto or manual.
On my 26X I mainly use it in 'manual' mode when pumping out any water in the hull that has come in from top side. It's pumped
into an ice cream pail and the rest is sponged out. If I was to leave it at the dock for an extended period I suppose I could hook it up to the
battery in auto mode. I haven't really explored the auto option or the locations for the pump and the pump exit. See pic of my go anywhere
pump. :)

Jimmyt
Captain

Post by Jimmyt » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:50 pm

Valid point. Others have installed multiple pumps in the various parts of the boat for that very reason.

I put one, as stated above, in the part of the boat that (in my opinion) is most likely to experience a leak. Also, remember that the pump is there to buy you time to deal with a leak - not to keep the bilge Sahara dry. I'm hoping to get a hole plugged, or motor back to the ramp prior to finding out how well the flotation works. Mine is permanently mounted and automatic.

A large portion of the bottom is ballast tank - meaning an external hole won't sink the boat in those areas. So, if you choose to permanently mount a pump, I would suggest looking for a place in your boat that is likely to take on water first. Thru-hull locations, under motor well, etc.

Since I don't typically go into the cabin while sailing, the boat could get into serious trouble before I notice it. My discharge is by the helm off the stern. I'm hoping to hear the splash if it comes on. Thinking about adding an alarm as well.

mac n cheese
Chief Steward

Post by mac n cheese » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:41 pm

An alarm just might be a good idea when in open water if your too busy sailing. This couple wished they had an alarm outside in the cockpit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkAsfunh7HM

Jimmyt
Captain

Post by Jimmyt » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:46 am

Exactly the scenario I'm concerned over. A large leak that gets way ahead before you notice it. While I only have the factory thru-hull for sink and motor well drainage, there is a lot of floating and semi-submerged debris in my local sailing waters. High speed motoring, or rough weather sailing are times when you could hit something without necessarily noticing. A 1-2" hole could be a real problem as the video demonstrates. A flashing light, or really loud horn/siren would be in order (maybe both).

Getting holed by a puncture would likely present a more complex problem, as far as stopping the leak, than a thru-hull.

If my thru-hull leaked and I had that much water, I'd probably have to plug it from the outside. Don't think I could (or should) go diving under the rear berth to plug it.

In my opinion, the video illustrates why you should limit your thru-hulls to as few that are practicable. He shut off all of the ones he remembered, but didn't think of the speed sensor until later. I find it particularly interesting that the leaking thru-hull was for a device that didn't even function. Illustrates a classic procrastination failure that I could easily be guilty of.

At any rate, it's good to know my boat won't go to the bottom. I'm hoping that between the bilge pump and the 60 hp Etec, I can make it to shore before I'm relying on the flotation.

uncle trev
Just Enlisted

Post by uncle trev » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:12 am

hi there MGSC friends thanks for the help in sorting the bilge issue I,m going with the portable version many thanks uncle trev