Wind Song (26X) Outboard Swap

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
hart
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Foley, AL 2001 26X "Wind Song" 50 hp Mercury Classic MMSI/DSC: 338081191

Wind Song (26X) Outboard Swap

Post by hart »

Now that Wind Song is on her new trailer it’s time to think about other projects. The motor swap may not be the first I do but it’s probably the biggest. It’s a rainy day so I thought I’d start a thread to share my thoughts and ask for any advice or tips you guys might have.

First, here is the current situation:

The original outboard. It’s a 2001 2 stroke 50hp Mercury.

The lower unit, uh, disappeared. Long story but I trusted someone I shouldn’t have and no longer have it.

Please excuse the filth and grime. I’ll wash her soon. Here is the pedestal setup:

(Mental note to self: mast support pole is still stuck, remove mount and bust it loose next “boat” day)

Surprisingly, the steering isn’t frozen up but it is a little crunchy. I don’t think you can do much to the steering cable. So I’m hoping cleaning up and greasing the helm thingy (forget the name of the thing the steering wheel attaches too) will fix her up.

I have not dug into the throttle box. But I’m assuming it and the control cables will need to be replaced. Last time the engine ran, the RPM gauge didn’t work properly. So I’m assuming I’ll have to replace it as well.

I’ve been researching and looking at options. The throttle is a real knee banger in its current location. Since I’m redoing it anyway I’m thinking of moving it and maybe trying some sort of flush mount install. I’ve seen some slick setups you guys have done and posted here already that have inspired me.

Here is the “new” outboard:

It is a 2003 50hp two stroke Merc I acquired about 5 years ago. It’s the same model as the old one, just a little newer. Supposedly it’s only been run in freshwater. It has insanely low hours. It’s practically like new really; other than the fact it’s been sitting winterized on that pallet in my garage for 5 years.

What will it need done to it? I’m really not sure. In theory just do a dewinterizing routine whatever that is? Maybe check the carbs, change out the lower unit oil? I’ll have to research and would really appreciate any advice or tips here.

I may knock together a gallows/hoist out of my lumber pile and use that to remove the old outboard and install the new one. But I also have to do an engine swap on my old Blazer soon (partially seen in the last picture) so if I come across a hoist I can buy at a reasonable price that will do both I might go that route instead.

I’ve never done this before but other than removing the old 5200 it seems like a fairly straightforward process, especially since I’m installing the same model outboard.

Like the trailer post I did, I’ll keep a running log here. I appreciate any advice, thoughts, or comments anyone wants to take the time to post.
C Buchs
Captain

Re: Wind Song (26X) Outboard Swap

Post by C Buchs »

You'll probably want to get an engine hoist. You can rent one, but if you have other uses you should probably just buy one. I know a few people who have this 1-ton harbor freight version and like it: https://www.harborfreight.com/1-ton-cap ... 61858.html They also have a 2-ton version.

I remember a thread of Vic (user: vkmaynard here) helping another member install a new motor. There was a thread with pictures and a good write up. I did a quick search and didn't find it. If sure if you take some more time, you can find it. The only problem is that the pictures are probably lost :x

Jeff
hart
Captain
Location: Foley, AL 2001 26X "Wind Song" 50 hp Mercury Classic MMSI/DSC: 338081191

Post by hart »

I’m thinking about it. The outboards only weigh ~200 pounds so if it was just them I wouldn’t bother. But knowing I have a vehicle swap too it seems like a decent idea.

I remember reading many of Vic’s posts back when. Thanks.
rsvpasap
Engineer

Post by rsvpasap »

Jimmyt
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Jimmyt »

C Buchs wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:35 am You'll probably want to get an engine hoist. You can rent one, but if you have other uses you should probably just buy one. I know a few people who have this 1-ton harbor freight version and like it: https://www.harborfreight.com/1-ton-cap ... 61858.html They also have a 2-ton version.

I remember a thread of Vic (user: vkmaynard here) helping another member install a new motor. There was a thread with pictures and a good write up. I did a quick search and didn't find it. If sure if you take some more time, you can find it. The only problem is that the pictures are probably lost :x

Jeff
I agree with Jeff. I've got the 2-ton version and you will wonder how you got along without it. Very handy! You and a buddy could probably Conan the outboard swap, but think about what happens if you get in a bind and drop the new motor... or worse hurt yourself. Please keep posting pics. its a blast to see what other folks are doing with their boats. Lots of good ideas to be had.
hart
Captain

Post by hart »

What an amazing site! Thanks for sharing.

You guys have sold me on the hoist I think. Assuming I can figure out how to store it. Some of my projects are entwined. Like I need to clean out the garage - so the outboard needs to come out. As do a bunch of fence pickets for a fence repair. I know! I just need a bigger garage instead. :D
TimLa
Just Enlisted

Post by TimLa »

You'll want to change out the impeller. It's probably deformed and/or stuck.
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

https://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-cap ... shop+crane

My buddy has the folding version they're selling now. Stores in a pretty small footprint when folded. Mine is the old style that doesn't fold, so it's like storing a Volkswagen :( . You'll be floor space ahead if you use the crane to get the motor out of the garage and put the folded crane in its place. :D

I feel your pain. I noticed in your pic that your garage looked a lot like mine! After our house fire, the garage became our conditioned storage area, then our move-in staging area, and now our place to sort out all of the sooty crap we couldn't figure out what to do with. I'm working my way through one pile at a time, but it's like pulling my own teeth. I stop and play with the boat when I get tired of cleaning up. I get tired a lot. 8)

You're making good headway! Remember to eat the elephant one bite at a time; and, try not to focus on how many bites you have left.
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

TimLa wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:08 pm You'll want to change out the impeller. It's probably deformed and/or stuck.
Agree. Just did mine at about 6 years. It was needing it! Good call.
hart
Captain

Post by hart »

TimLa wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:08 pm You'll want to change out the impeller. It's probably deformed and/or stuck.
Awesome! Thanks. Added to my list.
Jimmyt wrote: You're making good headway! Remember to eat the elephant one bite at a time; and, try not to focus on how many bites you have left.
It took me years to make this mess, I’m trying hard to keep that in perspective. Thanks.
hart
Captain

Post by hart »

JimmyT here is my garage. :)

And funny I was talking about getting a hoist. Well, I was given a 1 ton one today as a gift. Sadly it’s missing a castor. Already called Harbor Freight and one is in the mail.

No real boat work today. It’s kinda cold. Been working around the house finishing up inside projects and now cleaning another bit of the garage out.
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

Some cool looking model aircraft back there.
hart
Captain

Post by hart »

Thanks. Another one of my “cheap” hobbies.
Spector
First Officer

Post by Spector »

I rented an engine hoist for the short time I needed one.
kmclemore
Site Admin
Location: Ambler, PA -- MACX2018A898 w/ Tohatsu 50D -- 78 BW Harpoon 4.6 -- 2018 Tahoe 550TF w/ 150 Merc

Post by kmclemore »

hart wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:15 pm... Sadly it’s missing a castor. Already called Harbor Freight and one is in the mail. ...
Of course you need to keep those lubricated. I recommend... ahem... castor oil. :D