Do You Want to Know or Not?

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
BOAT
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Do You Want to Know or Not?

Post by BOAT »

Okay, I was going to start on my next mod. The question is: Do you guys want to know what it is or do you want me to just do what I always do and just show it after it's all done?

Usually you guys do not get to see all the failures - what you see is the done deal without seeing all the grief that goes ahead of that.

So, do you want to be involved in my next mod (like helping with ideas for how to do it and stuff) or do you just want to see the finished project?

I will ask Kevin to rename this post depending on what you guys say because I already know what your next question will be: what IS the mod? right?

Well, what's the point of me posting all my failures if you guys are not going to be involved anyways, right? So if you want to be involved, say so and i will make a new post with the name of the mod in the header.
K9Kampers
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Do You Want to Know or Not?

Post by K9Kampers »

I'm interested in watching the process and project evolve.
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

There is something that I have been wanting for a long time. Watch this video and see if you can guess where I am going with my next mod.

TURN OFF THE SOUND - the music is really annoying:

K9Kampers
Admiral

Post by K9Kampers »

Clever!

Several Mac applications:
Ice chest meltwater level indicator
Beer mug level
Hot water shower tank level
Head waste tank level
Dinghy take-on-water level
Ballast tank level - with automatic transom valve closing actuator.

All displayed on the helm pedestal of course!
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

I have always wanted to know the level in the ballast tank. It's not just knowing that it is full, but also I want to know when it is empty - when we motor to empty the tank you need to crane your neck over the side and see if there is any water coming out and you look after a minute and then again after two minutes and then again after three and what a PITA. Why not have a gauge that shows when the water is close to gone and THEN look over the side? Or just go by the gauge?

Same for a full ballast tank - how do you know if the water has not leaked out of the valve after several days on the water? You need to go look in the hole. I would like an indicator that shows if the level is decreasing - (something is wrong :? I'm losing ballast!) What could be more important than ballast?

I know this may not be important to most of you but for me it is so for me it's a mod I want to do. So, if I am gonna do the mod anyways why not enlist the rest of you to participate? Tell me what won't work - why it's a bad idea - what's the best materials - or any other advice.

So after I get some feed back here I might start a new post on the mod or - if there is not much interest I will just do it on my own and post when it's finished.
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

I think it's a great idea. Currently, the wife or one of the kids has to go check for full and put the plug in. It would be nice to have an indicator for sure. I'm wondering when I'm going to fall off the stern while I'm trying to figure out if the tank has drained... :?

I definitely want to watch the process if you're willing to share.
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
2013 26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River
kurz
Admiral

Post by kurz »

Interesting. Mabe you remenber my FULL-LED-Ballast, look in my mods.
It works 100% fine, I all time see that ballast tank ist full.
https://macgregorsailors.com/mods/index ... em&id=2094

The same way you could put a second reed switch for empty. Just I dont know yet where to put it in. I guess it should be quite aft, as as soon as you ride fast the bow risies up and the rest of the water sits back.

But when do I need empty ballast control? When I ride fast. So I just pull my ballast tank remote for the valve... no water coming out - ok ;-)
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

Another interesting mod.

Would love to see the progress as you always post the perfection results and make us amateurs look foolish.
--Russ
Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale »

DOnt forget to logical NAND with the top LED and an alarm to let you know if your ballast is dropping audibly.

I think a GPWS alarm would be best.

WHOOP WHOOP - Ballast up!!
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

Okay, I got out my old 1960 plastic breadboard from my childhood toy box where my toy chemistry kit and model computer is to make this thing. Because I am really really really no good and welding or soldering I wanted to try to use modular components as much as possible. That also makes it easier for others to duplicate the gadget with off the shelf stuff.

My thinking is to use the same type of equipment that is used for LED tape lighting (seems like a good fit? Same voltages and amperage's?) :?

So the first picture will be a breadboard - and you guys that know electronics can help me plan out the breadboard better after I post the picture of it.

Then I need to move all the stuff to a PCB board and attempt to make solder. ( :( ugh - I hope I don't ruin everything) Times Like this I wish Mastreb were still here.

First though, I need to design the sender that goes into the tank and that brings up a question that Tom might be able to answer:

Is there a conductive metal that works well in salt water? (Will lead solder work in salt water?) Is there such a thing as copper solder? :?

What's the best metal to use on the ends of the wires for probes in that ballast tank????? :| :| :?: :?:

(P.S. I might send K9Kamper the first prototype to test in his beer mug)
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Not sure I understand the tape lighting equipment reference. But, I'm sure it will become clear as you go. You can get a bar graph module if you don't want to use discrete LEDs (you've probably seen these). Might be easier to mount in a panel.

https://www.ebay.com/i/162859254822?rt= ... DUnbranded

Not aware of copper solder. You could use tinned copper wire. You could epoxy-encase bare copper to a plastic rod; with the lengths at your desired levels, then just grind the epoxy off the end of each wire after it cures. You could try putting a drop of solder on the end if you don't want to expose the copper. Since you're using seawater, your sending unit may have to be replaced once in awhile. But, if you install it so it can be removed, flushed, wiped off, it might last a long time.

Let's see them pics!
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

The epoxy idea is a great idea - I like that one a lot - also replacing the sender is easy if i use the modular LED light connector scenario - when a sender goes bad just pull it and plug in a new one. I like those ideas.

I'm going to start on the breadboard today. :|
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

This is ridiculous! How do you electronics guys even see what the heck your doing??? Those parts you use are too tiny!

So I need to get these onto the bread board:

Like this:

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

:?:
:| :|

Okay, so Here is a brilliant question: do resistors have an IN and an OUT?? This is probably first grade stuff to you brainiac electronics guys but this DC crap at such tiny voltages boggles my mind!! :| :| So am I putting in the resistors backwards???

This is hard, I don't think I like this electronics stuff. Look, I tried using 12 volts on this other breadboard and exploded a transistor! It blew apart in two pieces like a fire cracker!! :

:| :| :| :( :( :(
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

BOAT wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:07 pm :?:
:| :|

Okay, so Here is a brilliant question: do resistors have an IN and an OUT?? This is probably first grade stuff to you brainiac electronics guys but this DC crap at such tiny voltages boggles my mind!! :| :| So am I putting in the resistors backwards???
Resistors do not have a polarity. The one thing that even I can't screw up. :D

So, looks like you decided not to use the 2003 IC chip?
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo