Recommended method to keep non-skid clean?

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
opie
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Recommended method to keep non-skid clean?

Post by opie »

On the cockpit seats and topsides going forward, I do not wax because of fear of slipping.
The non-skid surfaces attract dirt like a magnet and a stiff brush, water and much scrubbing gets it clean and the sun whitens it.
Trails of white trickle down into the water (I clean while afloat) so that may be either my gel coat or saltwater residue.

Any suggestions as to make the cleaning easier, or necessary less frequently?
Russ
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Recommended method to keep non-skid clean?

Post by Russ »

Good old fashioned scrubbing always worked for me.
I recently found a power washer makes it easier.

I think Gelcoat residue coming off is part of the process.
--Russ
Starscream
Admiral

Post by Starscream »

I've started thinking about non-skid paint options. I really like the Interlux line of products, and after redoing the bottom paint this past spring I am now starting to research their Interdeck product for the cockpit.

https://www.interlux.com/en/us/boat-pai ... /interdeck
Seapup
Captain

Post by Seapup »

I recently found a power washer makes it easier.
I agree, I was hesitant a long time but not sure how I lived without it now :D

I picked up a little ryobi thats easy to carry to the boat.

I put kiwigrip nonslip on two boats and am very happy with it, but it still needs cleaned.
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

Opie,

You mention water and scrubbing. Do you use any sort of soap? This may sound silly, but since you did not mention it? Soap makes water slipperier. It allows it to get into areas easier. Nothing complicated, just a little soap. You may be tempted to use a SoftScrub type of product, but don't; it is bad for the environment. Those infinitesimally small beads have been showing up in marine life.
Ray ~~_/)~~
opie
Captain

Post by opie »

Ray,
You will be happy to hear that I don't use soap. Since I am on the water I feel bad about putting soap overboard. If I was in my driveway, that's different. But I have no water at my storage lot. The power washer sounds good, maybe I could try it with 2 or 3 buckets of water (I have 120v power there).
opie
Captain

Post by opie »

ps - to Ray,
I did try soap 1 time. I actually didn't see a difference in just using saltwater.
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

To paraphrase old honest Abe.
You can clean some of the boat some of the time, all of the boat some of the time, some of the boat all of the time, but you can never clean all of the boat all of the time. :D
Ray ~~_/)~~
the dude
Just Enlisted

Post by the dude »

So i assume this group is those lucky sailors who keep their boat at a marina slip or on a mooring ball for the boating season.We have the problem of trying to figure out how to keep the non skid topsides,cockpit clean without harming the deck or the environment while floating in the water.Its my spring prep work that i count on for the rest of the season.While in the driveway i apply Starbrite non skid Deck Cleaner with PTEF over a portion of the deck and let it sit for 5 minutes and then go to work with the brush.I also take the Opie approach and while in the water for the season,a deck brush and saltwater pretty much does ok.
:macx: Long Lsland Sound
NiceAft
Admiral

Post by NiceAft »

So i assume this group is those lucky sailors who keep their boat at a marina slip or on a mooring ball for the boating season
Nope :!: Sits in the driveway.

Where on Long Island. My wife is from North Bellmore. Cousins in both Nassau and Suffolk.
Ray ~~_/)~~