Water System

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
ris
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Water System

Post by ris »

On the stove thread someone asked about a water system. We really like our water system. There was a post under mods but the pics all went with Tiny Pics. Found a picture. First we put a level floor from the battery area just aft of the galley all the way under the galley, under the seat forward of the galley to the V-berth. There is just 3 inches under the floor to the hull were we have electrical lines run to the V-berth. Also this puts a bottom in our galley cabinets plus a flat place to mount the water pump just in front of the galley(black object you can see part of on the floor far left) and a flat place for storage of pots under the seat between galley and berth. Looking at the picture you will see valve one off valve 2 on and valve 3 off.( there is a napkin below valve 3) In this condition the hose to the far right pulls water the 30 gallon water bag across the top of the manifold through the open valve (2) then down the stub to the suction side of the pump and out to the two sinks. To fill the water bag we change all 3 valves. Valve 1 is on, valve 2 is off and valve 3 is on. The hose in my left hand is from the 90 degree ell on the top left of the manifold that we unroll up into the cockpit or onto a dock where we place a 5 gallon jug. We fill the jug from a water source on the dock. We then stick the hose in the jug up on the dock, turn the pump on and the water is sucked from the jug to the PVC 90 on the left through the now open valve 1 down the stub to the water pump and then out the pressure side to the sinks and to the line you see going to the right to the down stub with the paper up through valve 3 and out the line going right to the water bag. The clear hose coiled up on the right end of the seat is an overflow from the water bag. we unroll it and place it in the sink. When water comes out of the overflow line we know the bag is full.

Picture of our 30 gallon water bag completely full. We have this bag tied down in the most forward compartment under the V-berth. The small end is the most forward part of the bag and the port is the vent line when filling the bag. The water is added and removed from the port in the large end of the bag which is also the lowest part of the bag

We always filter our water before it goes in the 5 gal jug on the dock and when we finish filling the plastimo water bag we put plugs in both the fill line and vent line before coiling them up and putting them in the far end of the floor under the seat. It takes longer to write this then filling the bag.
Hope this explanation is understandable.
Richrd
Jimmyt
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Water System

Post by Jimmyt »

Very nice setup!
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
2013 26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

ris,

We too use a 30 gallon Plastimo bag under the V birth.

Under the sink, in the galley, we keep two, large water jugs for the sink’s hand pump faucet. On the sink, there’s another faucet hooked up to the 30 gallon water bag via an electric pump. There is also a shower hooked up to the Plastimo bag. The shower comes out of the starboard engine area. It can be used in the cockpit, with no privacy :D
Ray ~~_/)~~
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

NiceAft wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:07 pm The shower comes out of the starboard engine area. It can be used in the cockpit, with no privacy :D
There's an image that won't be easily washed away with a 6-pack... :|
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

Either one can cold shower in a bathing suit, or when it’s pitch black out, or when no one else is around. :evil:
Ray ~~_/)~~
Inquisitor
Captain

Post by Inquisitor »

ris wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:53 pm ...
Picture of our 30 gallon water bag completely full. We have this bag tied down in the most forward compartment under the V-berth. The small end is the most forward part of the bag and the port is the vent line when filling the bag. The water is added and removed from the port in the large end of the bag which is also the lowest part of the bag

Richrd
NiceAft wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:07 pm ris,

Fantastic setup. I'm Inquisitive (Couldn't help it 8) ) This 30 gallon bag (250 lbs) up in the nose... One in an X and one in an M. Do any of you sleep in the V-berth and how does the boat sit in the water then and when sailing? And actually a little nose down (heads up) while sleeping might be a good thing.

:cry: Don't really want to open this can again, but I'm assuming you mean removing the forward Styrofoam?
Odysseus, expert on the Siren's call
NiceAft
Admiral

Post by NiceAft »

Inquisitor wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:00 am

Richrd
NiceAft wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:07 pm ris,

Fantastic setup. I'm Inquisitive (Couldn't help it 8) ) This 30 gallon bag (250 lbs) up in the nose... One in an X and one in an M. Do any of you sleep in the V-berth and how does the boat sit in the water then and when sailing? And actually a little nose down (heads up) while sleeping might be a good thing.

:cry: Don't really want to open this can again, but I'm assuming you mean removing the forward Styrofoam?
Along with ris and I having two different Mac's, we also use them completely differently.

(1) He modified his :macx: to be only used as a power boat.
(2) He uses the V berth for sleep; the admiral and I use the aft berth.
(3) He takes extended, extremely extended, and extremely extremely extended trips; we may do an overnight occasionally (we have been planning a week trip for two years, but family and then Covid-19 have got in the way).

As to the removal of the Styrofoam, I am not a believer in removing safety factors. Truth be told, I don't know if the foam was removed, I never checked.

When I purchased my 2005 :macm: in October 2004, I ordered it with many extras, which were installed by the dealer. One of which was the water bag, electric pump to power the sink faucet and the shower in the stern. Being a novice to a large (to me) sailboat (over 14' [4.26m]), I did not think about how it was done; blind trust in the dealer. I had sailed a Phantom for 25 years. Quite a steep learning curve. :D

The one thing I do every year is to fill the bag with a heavy concentration of bleach to H2O, let it sit a bit, turn on the pump, the faucet and shower to saturate the complete system. This will remove any mold that grew from the year before. I verify by checking the clear tubing. We don't use the Plastimo for drinking water. We have two large portable water bags attached to the hand pump faucet on the sink. We use that for cooking. We have a quantity of bottled water for drinking.
Ray ~~_/)~~
Inquisitor
Captain

Post by Inquisitor »

NiceAft wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:55 am Along with ris and I having two different Mac's, we also use them completely differently.

(1) He modified his :macx: to be only used as a power boat.
(2) He uses the V berth for sleep; the admiral and I use the aft berth.
(3) He takes extended, extremely extended, and extremely extremely extended trips; we may do an overnight occasionally (we have been planning a week trip for two years, but family and then Covid-19 have got in the way).

As to the removal of the Styrofoam, I am not a believer in removing safety factors. Truth be told, I don't know if the foam was removed, I never checked.

When I purchased my 2005 :macm: in October 2004, I ordered it with many extras, which were installed by the dealer. One of which was the water bag, electric pump to power the sink faucet and the shower in the stern. Being a novice to a large (to me) sailboat (over 14' [4.26m]), I did not think about how it was done; blind trust in the dealer. I had sailed a Phantom for 25 years. Quite a steep learning curve. :D

The one thing I do every year is to fill the bag with a heavy concentration of bleach to H2O, let it sit a bit, turn on the pump, the faucet and shower to saturate the complete system. This will remove any mold that grew from the year before. I verify by checking the clear tubing. We don't use the Plastimo for drinking water. We have two large portable water bags attached to the hand pump faucet on the sink. We use that for cooking. We have a quantity of bottled water for drinking.
I think, I'm closer to your upbringing, this step-up was the Titanic compared to my Hobie. I bought mine from Bill. In retrospect (because I was ignorant of what came on a stock boat) the many details he added without calling my attention to them says a lot about him. But, over time, I've taken for granted how expertly/ergonomically things fall to hand of the lines lead aft, the extra parts... I wish I knew all that HE did and pity the rest of you poor souls that didn't purchase from him. Thanks Bill

Also, mine set far more than it was used and clean-out and not finding a moldy, unusable mess the next season was a problem. Hopefully, in retirement, I'll be more like ris and use the hull out of it. Fresh water all the time!

But you bring up an important point, I'm not used to dealing... having separate wash water, cooking water and drinking water. I'm used to well-water for all duties. Hmmm... must give more thought.
ris
Captain

Post by ris »

We filter the water before it is pumped into the boat and we have a 5 micron carbon filter under the galley sink. We also put 6 table spoons of bleach in the bag for cleaning and storage of the water bag and lines as NiceAft does. The US standard is 1 teaspoon of bleach will purify 5 gallons of unclean water in emergency situations. But we drink the water from the bag after it goes through the filter under the sink which having carbon even removes bleach. The water on the boat tastes better than the water at home. One of these days we will put one of those 5 micron filters under the sink at home. If you put a .5 micron filter in the boat filter holder by mistake you will think the pump is broke as the water just trickles out. Lot of difference between 5 and .5 microns at 30psi of water pressure. If the choice is possibly sinking if you get a big hole in the boat or getting lung damage from nasty black, stinky styrofoam we would pick sinking any day. :wink: Also the admiral said that stink has to go, it was baaad. With all the stuff we have in the aft end of the boat under the cockpit the 240 lbs in the nose is no problem. The boat sits level.

Richard
Inquisitor
Captain

Post by Inquisitor »

ris wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:04 pm We filter the water before it is pumped into the boat and we have a 5 micron carbon filter under the galley sink. We also put 6 table spoons of bleach in the bag for cleaning and storage of the water bag and lines as NiceAft does. The US standard is 1 teaspoon of bleach will purify 5 gallons of unclean water in emergency situations. But we drink the water from the bag after it goes through the filter under the sink which having carbon even removes bleach. The water on the boat tastes better than the water at home. One of these days we will put one of those 5 micron filters under the sink at home. If you put a .5 micron filter in the boat filter holder by mistake you will think the pump is broke as the water just trickles out. Lot of difference between 5 and .5 microns at 30psi of water pressure. If the choice is possibly sinking if you get a big hole in the boat or getting lung damage from nasty black, stinky styrofoam we would pick sinking any day. :wink: Also the admiral said that stink has to go, it was baaad. With all the stuff we have in the aft end of the boat under the cockpit the 240 lbs in the nose is no problem. The boat sits level.

Richard
Please Richard... and anyone else that has some experience with these filters. Us Hillbillies just drink it strait. (as in out of the ground) :D

I want to take your advice on getting a 5 micron carbon filter. I started looking at Amazon... and well... WAY sensory overload. Internet reviews are a dime a dozen. There are plenty of names I recognize as mainstream and reputable, different sizes, shapes and all are better than their competitors. :cry: I'm hoping you've researched it and can recommend something that fits and can readily get filters without being proprietary.

Actually I have a tiny bit of experience... I carry one of these for hiking/backpacking and have used them to drink strait out of mountains streams. I've never been brave enough to try drinking lake water through it like they claim.

Thanks.
ris
Captain

Post by ris »

We use the regular Sawyer while hiking and as an emergency backup in trailer and boat. We use the Pentek #10 Filter housing 158643 with the Pentek EP10 carbon block filter 5 micron 93/4 x 2 7/8 . In our trailer we didn’t have 10 inches of space so we use the Pentek but it is a 5 inch model with the 5 inch carbon block 5 micron filter. Both work but we get a better water flow from the 10 inch filter. Hope this helps. Still waiting on the boat motor parts to come in. Hopefully this week.
Richard
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

ris wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:04 pm If the choice is possibly sinking if you get a big hole in the boat or getting lung damage from nasty black, stinky styrofoam we would pick sinking any day. :wink: Also the admiral said that stink has to go, it was baaad.
Even though I'm a card carrying member of the pro-foam crew, I've got to agree with the Admiral in this case. Black stinky styrofoam has got to go. 8)
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
Inquisitor
Captain

Post by Inquisitor »

Has anyone some methodology or device that measures fill state? With jugs, its pretty simple to look, but if this is mounted inside and sealed up, I'm at a loss.

Never had 30 gallons available. Maybe just knowing how much we typically use will be good enough, but just wondering if there is a smarter way of knowing.
kurz
Admiral

Post by kurz »

I have the 200l mounted under the rear bead. Holding 90 to 120l.

since I have the water outled connected to the outsid of the :macm: I just fill in till the water comes out again. Filling without pressure.

Seems to work so far.
Inquisitor
Captain

Post by Inquisitor »

kurz wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:12 am I have the 200l mounted under the rear bead. Holding 90 to 120l.

since I have the water outled connected to the outsid of the :macm: I just fill in till the water comes out again. Filling without pressure.

Seems to work so far.
I guess I did say fill state, but what I really want to know is while using it... before running out. How much I have left?