26M Cabin Cushions Usable Outside?

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
Idiotfool
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

26M Cabin Cushions Usable Outside?

Post by Idiotfool »

So, I have a covered patio at my house and the wife and I are thinking about changing our traditional six-seat outdoor dining set out for something more like a combination conversation set/dining set. Something like this:

After cleaning the interior of our 26M and hauling all of the cushions inside, my wife remarked that we should use the cushions in a custom patio set and I thought the idea was brilliant. They'd stay out of the boat and air out and I wouldn't have to worry about storing most of them anywhere inside. What are the issues? Obviously, I'd wear these out a little faster than keeping them in the boat, but the patio is northwest facing and they'd not get much direct sunlight.

Thoughts on this fairly novel idea?
Russ
Admiral

Re: 26M Cabin Cushions Usable Outside?

Post by Russ »

Rain and moisture?

Stock interior cushions were open cell standard foam and unlike fast drying patio cushions, take a long time to dry out.

If they are covered and out of the weather, why not?
--Russ
Idiotfool
Engineer

Post by Idiotfool »

Covered patio, facing northwest. It gets afternoon Sun, but never rain. I would have to contend with South Florida humidity, though, but I don’t think it would be that different from humidity found on the boat...
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

They would probably fare better being outside in the open air than couped up inside a boat.
--Russ
Idiotfool
Engineer

Post by Idiotfool »

Russ wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:57 pm They would probably fare better being outside in the open air than couped up inside a boat.
My thought, as well. Though I hope to use the boat every other week to tool around, it will probably be awhile before my wife is comfortable for an outing. In the meantime, the cushions could air out on the patio and breathe a little.

I did a mock-up today to see how it would look and after several rearrangements, I found two pairs of cushions that lined up decently. It came out surprisingly good, I think, and uses the majority of the leatherette cushions.

I'll still need to store a significant number of other cushions, but this is a good start, I think.
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Idiotfool wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:47 pm So, I have a covered patio at my house and the wife and I are thinking about changing our traditional six-seat outdoor dining set out for something more like a combination conversation set/dining set. Something like this:

After cleaning the interior of our 26M and hauling all of the cushions inside, my wife remarked that we should use the cushions in a custom patio set and I thought the idea was brilliant. They'd stay out of the boat and air out and I wouldn't have to worry about storing most of them anywhere inside. What are the issues? Obviously, I'd wear these out a little faster than keeping them in the boat, but the patio is northwest facing and they'd not get much direct sunlight.

Thoughts on this fairly novel idea?
Great idea. I agree with Russ. They will probably do better in open air on the patio.
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
2013 26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River