Crazy Mac 25 Shoal Keel Idea

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
steve4
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 25

Crazy Mac 25 Shoal Keel Idea

Post by steve4 »

I expect and welcome any and all accusations of delirium and inquiries on my sanity but....

Have any Mac 25 owners ever tried to drill a second hold for the keel lock-pin bolt to be used as sort of a mid-point or "shoal water setting" for the iron swing keel?

I have sailed mine with the keel just "resting" on the lock-pin bolt and am all too familiar with the danger and unpredictability of that choice. As such, if I were to try sailing in less than 6' of water, I'd rather have the keel locked in place at a draft around 4' if at all possible. I'm sure it will affect weather-helm and create an unplanned imbalance between the sails and the keel position but, I think it could be managed. Basically would just need to figure out the right location for the new hole through the keel trunk based on (ideally math and geometry but let's be realistic....) a quick haul out and few days jacked up in the yard to lower the keel as needed and.... stuff. :)

Ok, yea. Thx.

Steve
Massey
Chief Steward

Re: Crazy Mac 25 Shoal Keel Idea

Post by Massey »

The only problem I see with this idea is water intrusion…. I would just stick with a bit of paint on the cable to let you know when the keel is at the desired depth and leave well enough alone.
A Veteran, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Remember freedom is never free.
steve4
Deckhand

Post by steve4 »

I'd like for it to be that simple but, a rather educationally frightful trip out once like that on Lake Livingston, TX with the keel just resting on the lock-pin bolt resulted in the boat handling erratically as she'd heel over too much and the keel would swing up. When it came back down after a particularly surprising gust, my lock-pin bolt was partially turned into a U-bolt. I had to spend a few hours sawing off the hex-head with a small hacksaw and drilling out the angled part until it would come loose and out through the other side. So, I figured maybe finding a "shoal setting" and drilling out new holes there to use the same rubber washers and the like on the (replacement) lock-pin bold could do the trick. That said, I like the idea of painting the cable to indicate how far down it is for helping to line up the bolt anyway so I'll probably do that too.
Massey
Chief Steward

Post by Massey »

Excessive heeling of the boat would be caused my 2 and a half things.

First the keel not lowered all the way, which changes the center of gravity and the roll moment, this would be worse with the keel all the way up.

Second the sails needed to be reefed a bit due to the strength of the wind.

And the half… it just seemed like it to you but the boat was well with in safe operation.

I don’t have a lock bolt for my keel and I have heeled over pretty good, my keel down all the way and even though it seemed like I was standing on the cockpit seat across from me, there was still a foot or more of freeboard on the leeward side. My keel never moved out of place. If your keel is moving I would say something is wrong somewhere. That is a 750lb chunk of steel and not much will move it unless it hits something, and if your lake is that shallow… you may want to consider a different type of boat… and also don’t dive off the boat head first… it will hurt at best.
A Veteran, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Remember freedom is never free.
steve4
Deckhand

Post by steve4 »

Luckily, the bottom of Clear Lake is mostly soft and not riddled with old dead trees like Lake Livingston. Still, if I decide to jump off the bow anytime soon I'll stick to a cannonball style in lieu of any swan dives. ;)