Gerald Gordon - any updates on your mainsail furler mod?

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
RandyMoon
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Rockwall, TX Lake Ray Hubbard 2005M #0690 L405 Tohatsu TLDI 90 (Rhapsody in Blue)

Gerald Gordon - any updates on your mainsail furler mod?

Post by RandyMoon »

Gerald's Mod Info

Gerald, any updates on how your mainsail furler mod is performing while sailing?
Gerald Gordon
First Officer

Post by Gerald Gordon »

I'm happy that I can control the sail when single handing. The whole rig works well. Sailed out on the 8th to Waimea Bay. Small craft warings in effect. Winds gusting to 25 knots waves 6-8. I kept reefing and reefing (i.e.) I kept reeling in the sail.
From a safety point...furler is the only way to go.
From a sailing performance point...I have great sail control and don't have to worry about going to the mast or messing with reef points.
Does my boat sail any better than before I did the mod...No. Any worse...No
It's just convenient!
I read that CDI is now saying its OK to use their product for mainsail applications.
RandyMoon
Captain
Location: Rockwall, TX Lake Ray Hubbard 2005M #0690 L405 Tohatsu TLDI 90 (Rhapsody in Blue)

Post by RandyMoon »

Thanks Gerald. Your mod was an impressive piece of work.

Are there any things that you would do different if you did it over again?

BTW, which CDI furler model did you use?
Gerald Gordon
First Officer

Post by Gerald Gordon »

I used the same one as the jib, CDI 2 I believe (no bearing). As far as improving the mod, it is functional. There are not to many facets for this mod. One thing I wish had worked out a bit different is that when I cut the plastic extrusion it was a bit short. It could have been 8-10 inches longer. Just bad math. I just got finished with some interior upgrades which cost a few dineros. So when I get a few more bucks, I'll have a new main sail made for my setup. I had to trim the standard main on my sewing machine and the sail could be improved somewhat. Thanks for your interest. I think it's cool to pull into a bay and voila, your sails roll up as sweet as you please!
RandyMoon
Captain

Post by RandyMoon »

We were out sailing this morning and had the usual event happen.... halyard getting caught on some hardware while trying to get the sail up. And then pulling the sail down, flaking, etc. I told my, "You know, if we had a setup like Gordon, a few seconds to pull the sail out, a few seconds to pull it in. No more halyards, flaking, bungees, sail cover, etc." We are seriously thinking about following your path this winter. Not being someone who races, I like simplicity and infinite reefing settings.

If I do it, I think your setup with the boom reattached to the furler bracket is better than CDI's approach because it gets the foot closer to the boom. I did like CDI's idea of mounting a track on top of the boom for the clew to travel down.

Thanks Gordon, I appreciate the info.
Scott
Admiral
Sailboat: Venture 25
Location: 1978 Catalina 22 with all the Racing Goodies!! 4 horse fire breathing monster on the transom

Post by Scott »

Gerald what marina do you sail out of??

Displaced Kailua boy with tons of drunk nights at K-bay.

P.S. If you lounge at K-Bay do you know Mikee W and Ma??
Gerald Gordon
First Officer

Post by Gerald Gordon »

I'm in Haleiwa on the North Shore. The State is in the process of adding about twenty slips, but I prefer to stay on the trailer.
OverEasy
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Gerald Gordon - any updates on your mainsail furler mod?

Post by OverEasy »

Hi!

Does anyone know where Gerald Gordon is now a days?
We are very interested in finding out how is Main Sail Mast Furler Modification has been working out for him.
He did a great job pioneering making one of the first Main Sail Mast Furling Mod for the MacGregor.
Just a great looking example of thoughtful workmanship.

We are preparing to emulate his efforts and would appreciate being able to contact him (or the current owner of his boat) to discuss how it has held up and functioned over the years.

We would appreciate anyone pointing us in the right direction.
Thank you!

Over Easy
8) 8) 🐩