Transom Reinforcement (26X)

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Frank C

Transom Reinforcement (26X)

Post by Frank C » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:29 pm

Transom mod posted after 8 years! I've described this before, but only recently remembered to replace the photos I'd lost in a long-ago disk drive crash.

These mods were designed by Gene Arena, Roger's first Bay Area Mac Dealer from the early, early days. The engine installation was by Eric Lowe, who served as Gene's Skipper, Trainer and Tech. Eric's also a forum member, though an infrequent visitor.

Their main objective was to stiffen the transom for excess thrust from the 1300cc EFI Suzuki-60, (a monster-choice back in 1999). The quarter-inch thick aluminum channel is about 4 feet in length and roughly the same dimensions as a common 2x4 stud ... resulting in a pretty stiff transom. There's no evidence of any gelcoat or fiberglass stress. There's nothing special inside the motorwell, just the items pictured.

Gene was an outboard afficianado, so he performed all his own engine installations. Since Gene's retirement awhile back, his son Dan Arena is now the only Bay area dealer.

Moderator suggestion (my other hat):
the Mods search page is rather difficult to use. It's a great alternative to also post a description of your MacMods here in the Modifications forum, with a link to the MacMods page. That way the Forum search list can turn up links into the MacMod pages.