Just Rambling....

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

opie
Captain

Just Rambling....

Post by opie » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:16 am

With no particular order at all, here are a few items about what I know or don't know or learned in about my MacGregor 26X.

1. When lowering mast and if you intend to keep your spreaders attached as I do, release your lifelines.
2. In 15 years of ownership, I have seen my mast raising time go from 3 hours at first and then to 30 minutes in the first year, but now, 15 years later it has settled in at 90 minutes. I am older, yes, but I find less need for rushing now.
3. I am 71 years old now. I used the mast raising system only three times during my ownership. I raise it by hand and have no trouble. If there is a stiff wind, I position the stern into the wind to assist. I have a couple of YouTube videos out there with 20k views. Bragging? Yep. Should you do it? (Check with your spine doctor )
4. Just brought boat out of water today after a good week at anchor, sailing and fishing. Too hot here for Oct! 90 plus degrees in NC!
5. I understand the fun for some owners to mod their Mac, but I have left mine cherry with respect to drilling. Well, except for a better electrical panel and a digital voltage gage display.
6. My aft, underneath the stern end cushions have never been on my boat but are stored. That place is only used for my storage of my kayak and plastic tubs of supplies, nets, tools, screen, and hatch.
7. I always attach a hauldown line to top mains'l slide in track to aid in lowering and reefing from cockpit.

Opie

dlandersson
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Just Rambling....

Post by dlandersson » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:42 am

At this end (64), when raising or lowering the mast, I "rock" the spreaders and slide them under the lifelines so that they are not resting on them for the winter. 8)

K9Kampers
Admiral

Post by K9Kampers » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:42 pm

After 14 years of raising my :macx: mast, I care less about how quickly I could do it and am just happy that I can still get it up! Jus sayin...
:wink:

dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:38 am

:P
K9Kampers wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:42 pm
After 14 years of raising my :macx: mast, I care less about how quickly I could do it and am just happy that I can still get it up! Jus sayin...
:wink:

Jimmyt
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Jimmyt » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:49 pm

Almost 62. Trailer every time I sail. Still looking to optimize setup/takedown. Actually the takedown and secure for the 14 mile trip home is the issue. I'm at about 45 minutes for takedown/secure - which is about 25 minutes longer than my setup. Should be able to knock at least 15 min off, but don't want to lose anything on the way home...

Like opie, I'm waiting for a few degrees cooler, and some consistent wind.

Newell
First Officer

Post by Newell » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:17 pm

Great post, braggers set the standards.

I think the mod I appreciate the most was shortening the spreaders. Started using the lifting system last year but since I have been sailing in 2 bodies of water that's only 2 up and downs a year. I'm 76, dang the X is getting old.

Bobglas
Engineer

Post by Bobglas » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:42 am

I've got a 4 hour trailer to Lake Champlain where I spend 90% of my sailing time. I'm 70 yrs young and gave up timing myself setting up/ down. Head out early from the house, get to the ramp around 11am. Set up taking about 3 hrs making sure everything is copasetic that's including loading stuff. Put in and motor about a mile or two to a cove on Valcour Island. Anchor, quick swim to rinse off sweat from set-up. Kick back w/ a nice cool beer. Plan the next day.
That's the routine I follow. :) :macm:

kmclemore
Site Admin
Location: Ambler, PA -- MACX2018A898 w/ Tohatsu 50D -- 78 BW Harpoon 4.6 -- 2018 Tahoe 550TF w/ 150 Merc

Post by kmclemore » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:47 pm

Bobglas, where do you put in on Champlain? We are on the tip of Point Au Fer.... probably not far from you.

Seapup
Captain

Post by Seapup » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:02 am

6. My aft, underneath the stern end cushions have never been on my boat but are stored. That place is only used for my storage of my kayak and plastic tubs of supplies, nets, tools, screen, and hatch.
Interesting, never thought of putting a kayak down there. Inflatable, or what kind?

opie
Captain

Post by opie » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:27 am

Seapup,

Regarding my kayak, (have no idea if M can do this, I only know my 26x will..) it is a 10 ft, sit-in kayak.
For an easier time storing it, I recommend a 9.5 ft or less, sit-in kayak.

That's all I will write here under this rambling thread. I will expand the subject in a new thread soon. (pics below)
Jackie

Bobglas
Engineer

Post by Bobglas » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:50 am

I have always used the Valcour/ Peru ramp. Lots of parking. To keep trailering weight down a short motor to the Snug Harbor marina for gas, water and ice does the trick. Also a short motor to Valcour Island w/ plenty of protected coves. Over cocktails and weather reports I decide whether to go N or S the following day. Almost made it to the North end last time but Admiral wanted to anchor in Pelot bay.