Mast mounted GSM camera with PIR?

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
PatrickS
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Mast mounted GSM camera with PIR?

Post by PatrickS »

I'm looking for a reasonably priced (e.g. under $500) remote camera with PIR sensor to mount on my mast, facing the bow.

Something like the following:

Xiamen YOUTHNET CO.,LTD.V900 GSM remote camera, remote surveillance, mobile sureveillance, GSM camera, MMS camera, wireless camera, wireless monitor, cell phone surveillance

Unfortunately, the above product isn't waterproof and I wouldn't want to mess with figuring out some kind of enclosure, etc.

A good bit of Googling failed to turn anything up, at least nothing even close to my budget, so I'm hoping someone here might know of some possible candidates. There seem to be emerging alot of devices that would do the job, but none seem to be protected from the elements (apart from a hunting scout camera that was much too large).

I've found a number of GSM alarm options in that price range, but none with the camera functionality, which is what I want more than e.g. bilge alarm notification, etc.
The Mutt
Captain
Location: Springwood, NSW, devinetemptations.com/macgregor26x.htm

Re: Mast mounted GSM camera with PIR?

Post by The Mutt »

What about putting the camera in a waterproof housing :?:

If you don't mind me asking, what is the camera for :)

Glenn
Hamin' X
Site Admin
Location: Hermiston, OR-----------2001 26X DF-50 Suz---------------(Now Sold)

Post by Hamin' X »

Sounds like it would be for security and send pictures via cellphone connection, so that he could monitor his boat from wherever.

~Rich
PatrickS
Engineer

Post by PatrickS »

Right, it's a kind of security alarm, which takes pictures and sends them by SMS or email, i.e. to your mobile phone or email account. You can also send a text message to the camera to have it take a picture and send it to you on demand.
tangentair
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by tangentair »

What not get one of those baby monitors and put it in an underwater camer enclosure, they have internet capability in some of the higher end models and you would get the added benefit of sound
Divecoz
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: PORT CHARLOTTE FLORIDA 05 M Mercury 50 H.P. Big Foot Bill at Boats 4 Sail is my Hero

Post by Divecoz »

Cabelas Under water fish camera
they have 5 for under $500 complete with monitor screen and cables .

Cabela's Advanced Anglers Panning Camera Item:9IS-020088
Reg: $299.99
Sale: $199.99
The Mutt
Captain

Post by The Mutt »

Hamin' X wrote:Sounds like it would be for security and send pictures via cellphone connection, so that he could monitor his boat from wherever.

~Rich
I thought that might be the case, doesn't hurt to ask incase someone has a different twist on the normal use thou.

Glenn
Night Sailor
Admiral
Location: '98, MACX1780I798, '97 Merc 50hp Classic, Denton Co. TX "Duet"

Post by Night Sailor »

I was going to suggest looking at the all weather cameras and mounts used on race and rally cars, which use transponders and have connectivity, but the baby monitor idea is intriguing and no doubt a lot less money.
The Mutt
Captain

Post by The Mutt »

There are waterproof cameras that do still or video that some of the rally sport and surfers use, prices seem fair enough.

http://www.goprocamera.com/

There is a guy doing a lot of surf and jetski work in Qld Australia, his site has info on how he makes waterproof housings to use in the surf.

http://rambos-locker.blogspot.com/searc ... results=15

Don't know how you can get if to ring your mobile, I'm sure there's external devices for that.

Glenn
PatrickS
Engineer

Post by PatrickS »

Thanks for all the suggestions of similar or related solutions.

There appear to be lots of options that have one or two of the features I need. The trick is getting all of them in one package.

The GSM/mobile functionality is essential, or else there are lots of waterproof cameras, even wireless, available.
The PIR functionality is essential, or any GSM phone with camera could be used, with add on software, but poorly.
The camera functionality is essential, or else I have to drive 30 mins to determine if it's a false alarm.

It's the combined features that make the solution attractive/useful.